Diesel tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, where do you live and who do you associate with. Lock the ether up. Point is there are definitely uses for and the need for ether. As I pointed out in my post #55 there are some models with out glow plugs and away from electrical means to plug it in, you put a battery jump on it and hit it with ether to get it going. Just the way it is. It's a tool and should be used as one not a substitute for proper maintenance and procedure. Flying debris:eek:, he would be fired.;). Take a walk and find a different vocation. There are safe ways to use ether with out destroying anything. Of course this misuse was one of the driving factors in manufacturers designing better systems. EI, glow plugs and intake heaters and computerized injectors. As the population dumbed down fewer and fewer where able to use it correctly. And now it is almost a lost art. :( Similar to an ignition point file :confused:. What the hell is that used for asked an young green horn about 12 years ago. He had been out of tech school about 10 years.
ive had people come to me,,to work on old cars. they say the dealerships,,have such young kids,,they no zero about carbs and points ignitions!!!!!!

I am 37 and the first time I worked on a car with points was 10 years ago when my wife bought a 71 mustang. Even my 76 Nova has electronic ignition. I learned on small engines and in 1994 when I got the Nova from my grandpa the first thing I did was rebuild the carburetor - simple Rochester monojet.

Now days distributor caps are becoming old school.

I am 37 and the first time I worked on a car with points was 10 years ago when my wife bought a 71 mustang. Even my 76 Nova has electronic ignition. I learned on small engines and in 1994 when I got the Nova from my grandpa the first thing I did was rebuild the carburetor - simple Rochester monojet.

Now days distributor caps are becoming old school.

I agree they went out of style about 20 years ago. I'm 54 and been wrenching for 36 years. Try working on a 1946 Wisconsin V4, hand crank with a magneto. There's a thrill. Try starting it warm on a 90 degree day after they run it out of gas. OH BOY! :)

Sounds as if it may be suffering from low engine compression. Possibly worn or dirty injectors, fuel leaks in the fuel system allowing air into the system or a combination of all of the above. PM me and we can discuss it. To many questions and not enough answers.:)

I tried to PM you i think? or at least i did something called profile post and then conversation and now I am confused.
so many buttons and choices but i cannot find one that says PM (i assume it means private message)
dear god what have i done. maybe a little ether sprayed into the cpu will help

I tried to PM you i think? or at least i did something called profile post and then conversation and now I am confused.
so many buttons and choices but i cannot find one that says PM (i assume it means private message)
dear god what have i done. maybe a little ether sprayed into the cpu will help

I got it check your in box. And hold the ether. Gives me a headache.:D

Only thing I use ether for is setting the bead on implement tires. Spray it in throw the match as you run the other way. Don't do it very often and don't like doing it but it's kinda a trill:blob2:

I agree they went out of style about 20 years ago. I'm 54 and been wrenching for 36 years. Try working on a 1946 Wisconsin V4, hand crank with a magneto. There's a thrill. Try starting it warm on a 90 degree day after they run it out of gas. OH BOY! :)
had one on my old wood splitter... it was a two cylinder but same problem. best to fire it up in the morning and let it run till you run out of steam, never kill it or its beer thirty while the motor cooled off so it could be re-started. i watched 3 grown men crank that thing for an hour trying to get it going after one killed it. i think the only reason it started at all was out of pity for the guys. i'm 30 now, that was 20+ years ago

had one on my old wood splitter... it was a two cylinder but same problem. best to fire it up in the morning and let it run till you run out of steam, never kill it or its beer thirty while the motor cooled off so it could be re-started. i watched 3 grown men crank that thing for an hour trying to get it going after one killed it. i think the only reason it started at all was out of pity for the guys. i'm 30 now, that was 20+ years ago

As I said, I'm 54, that same pump was brought into the shop. Department head wanted it started and running to help drain coal pile area. Underground drains were plugged. This thing hadn't been run for over 10 years. I worked on it for 2 hours. And after about 20 minutes of cranking, while guys half my age stood back and said "wow you're crazy", it started. A couple offered to help but had no experience with a hand crank. I was the "lead"" person and I didn't want to fill out a bunch of paperwork if one of them got a broken arm or wrist out of it. ;) They were in operations, I was maintenance technical group. I told them, just watch and learn. They probably learned to buy electric start engines....Don't tell the old man he can't do it. He'll prove you wrong.:rock:

As I said, I'm 54, that same pump was brought into the shop. Department head wanted it started and running to help drain coal pile area. Underground drains were plugged. This thing hadn't been run for over 10 years. I worked on it for 2 hours. And after about 20 minutes of cranking, while guys half my age stood back and said "wow you're crazy", it started. A couple offered to help but had no experience with a hand crank. I was the "lead"" person and I didn't want to fill out a bunch of paperwork if one of them got a broken arm or wrist out of it. ;) They were in operations, I was maintenance technical group. I told them, just watch and learn. They probably learned to buy electric start engines....Don't tell the old man he can't do it. He'll prove you wrong.:rock:
ever start a f12,or a f20??? thats a wonderful experience also!!!!!! :dizzy::dizzy: keep the thumb tucked back!!!!

well you guys scared the hell out of me with the whole ether is going to blow you and your engine up. I was terrified to use it, but now I am somewhat at ease after looking at the manual to my tractor.

I still will be very careful and very light on use though. Hopefully I can figure out how to cancel it out all together if that is possible. Do not want to put any more stress than necessary on this machine as it has been a life saver for me with all this snow we have gotten here. I would be stuck walking through waist to breast deep snow if it was not for this machine. Now I just vrooom back and forth with the gator up and down my driveway which is over 1/3 mile long.

I still have no idea what the 2nd pic is taking about, I just spray a very quick mist into the air intake and she fires right up.

ether-page-0.jpg ether2-page-0.jpg ether3-page-0.jpg

I know what you guys are saying about them old Wisconsin engines. Had a little 20 hp or so 2 cylinder in a little Lahman skidloader. I would run the piss out of it hauling rocks with a homemade rock bucket and grapple, it let you know when it was time to stop for an hour or two. It had a pretty good size hydraulic oil reservoir and that oil would be HOT! Kind of miss the little thing. You could lift an amazing amount of twigs with the setup. I bought it to haul pea rock in my brothers basement before they poured concrete, in a hurry and concrete guys couldn't get there before the framers got walls and floor joyces in. It was only 44" wide, no roll cage, hauled in enough for the 2400 or so square feet. Paid for itself many times over in the short time I had it. But, I doubled my money and put to a bigger loader.

Anyway, I am rambling.....

I know what you guys are saying about them old Wisconsin engines. Had a little 20 hp or so 2 cylinder in a little Lahman skidloader. I would run the piss out of it hauling rocks with a homemade rock bucket and grapple, it let you know when it was time to stop for an hour or two. It had a pretty good size hydraulic oil reservoir and that oil would be HOT! Kind of miss the little thing. You could lift an amazing amount of twigs with the setup. I bought it to haul pea rock in my brothers basement before they poured concrete, in a hurry and concrete guys couldn't get there before the framers got walls and floor joyces in. It was only 44" wide, no roll cage, hauled in enough for the 2400 or so square feet. Paid for itself many times over in the short time I had it. But, I doubled my money and put to a bigger loader.

Anyway, I am rambling.....
i think a lot of people have problems with Wisconsin engines because they are rather high maintenance compared to almost any other small engine...if you don't keep up with maintenance then they usually are a ***** to start...if you do maintain them they will outlast damn near any small engine
I have a Wisconsin THD (2 cylinder) out of a baler on my splitter, and a spare TJD (later 2 cylinder) out of an air compressor both with many many hours, both are electric and crank start, the way my splitter is configured I cant use the crank so its electric, but when I start it I don't even get the start button pushed all the way in before its already running, and if I crank them they usually fire on the first crank...it don't matter what the temp is, or if they have sat for months they always fire!
I will also say that often problems are from the fuel pump/side mount gas tank on these engines, I have both of mine gravity fed right to the carb, so no fuel delivery problems for me...

Back