Differances of chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefarmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking at differant chain grinders and settled on Oregon. Either a 511a or a 108181. What are the real differances? Are they both good quality?

Stihl
026 Favorite

Jonsered
510 not so favorite

The 511A gets my vote. good unit, solidly built, and its got some decent grinding ability.

jokers, first it has an automatic clamping system, it also allows you to grind the right and left teeth with thesame direction of rotation as the grinding wheel with respect to tooth angle(inwards), without throwing sparks in the direction of the operator. The table and head both tilt in either direction. The machine is built with a little better quality than the 511(less slop in chain stop etc.)

clyde said:
jokers, first it has an automatic clamping system, it also allows you to grind the right and left teeth with thesame direction of rotation as the grinding wheel with respect to tooth angle(inwards), without throwing sparks in the direction of the operator. The table and head both tilt in either direction. The machine is built with a little better quality than the 511(less slop in chain stop etc.)

Hi Clyde,

I`ve got a Maxx that I`ve ground maybe a hundred chains on. I agree that it has a few features that may be better than what the Oregon offers, but overall I don`t think that the grinder is any better quality, it has it`s own shortcomings such as the sliding chain vise table that has had lateral slop in it since day one and I`ve found it necessary to bias the table 5° to the rear to compensate for the wheel not being centered over the vise even when using the 3/16" wheel(no shim). Now the motor has a bearing that sounds like it`s heading south. Just the same, I think the grinder is pretty good for the money, just not without it`s shortcomings.

Russ

Guys, I'm just a weekend firewood cutter that wants to keep warn and doesnt want to pay big bucks. And a newbie to this site. That said I don't want to buy cheap crap either. I've seen the chicago grinders and find them cheap plastic junk so was looking at the oregons. I Know the 511 is a nice machine but what about the 108181. Is it just a stripped down 511? What is the differance?

The Oregon and other that look like it are made in Italy by a company called Tecomech. You can get the hydraulic lock which cuts your sharpening time in half for about $50 bucks more. If you are just doing 1 or 2 chains a weekend then get the 511A model. I got mine for $252.95 plus shipping. Its the same grinder but Red and BLACK instead of just BLACK. I am not a dealer but do hate to see people get ripped off! PM me if you want one. I have one new in the box. Now if you want a real top of the line sharpener try the Silvy. WOW now thats a nice grinder! Of course they start out at about $1500 and up.

Last edited:
And yes the Chicago ones are crap. The one I looked at in the box was cracked! For a professional sharpener or the weekend wood warrior who wants a very good grinder and sharp chains the Tecomechs (Oregons, Windsors ect ect all the same) are a great deal as long as you shop around. Dont pay more than about 255 or so then add shipping, for any Oregon 511A.

WESCOMAN said:
The Oregon and other that look like it are made in Italy by a company called Tecomech. You can get the hydraulic lock which cuts your sharpening time in half for about $50 bucks more. If you are just doing 1 or 2 chains a weekend then get the 511A model. I got mine for $252.95 plus shipping. Its the same grinder but Red and BLACK instead of just BLACK. I am not a dealer but do hate to see people get ripped off! PM me if you want one. I have one new in the box. Now if you want a real top of the line sharpener try the Silvy. WOW now thats a nice grinder! Of course they start out at about $1500 and up.

If onefarmer were to check with a site sponsor like Bailey`s he will find that shipping is much cheaper than it will be through an individual or small outfit, possibly making it cheaper overall to deal with them on a new product with a warranty.

I couldn`t agree more with your statements regarding the quality of Silvey grinders however the price you stated is wrong. For a round grinder, which is what we are talking about, the Silvey 510 is $699 through Bailey`s. This grinder is in a different league from the cheaper grinders, it is an excellent choice for a shop.

Russ

onefarmer said:
I Know the 511 is a nice machine but what about the 108181. Is it just a stripped down 511? What is the differance?

The 108181 is a "mini" grinder meaning that it has a smaller diameter wheel, 4 1/2" vs 5 7/8", which will have a more dramatically changing radius from wear right from the start. This is significant to you because centering on a pivoting head grinder is affected by wheel diameter. Another thing to consider is that the mini grinders that I have tried all had a higher rpm motor than the larger grinders and even with the smaller diameter wheel, it seems evident that rim speed is higher because they are more prone to burning a tooth. The small grinders are also less powerful which is a factor in feed speed of the wheel against the tooth. There is an optimal ratio of metal removed vs heat imparted to the tooth that is hard to achieve with the minis. The mini grinders are also built less robustley than the 511s and are easier to flex out of precise angular alignment and they lack an adjustable chain vise that allows you to grind the 10° topplate angle on chisel chain. The head angle is not adjustable on many of the small grinders either and I believe this is also true of the 108181.

With all of these negatives being listed you could get the idea that the 108181 is useless and won`t sharpen a chain. This isn`t true, it just offers a steeper learning curve and more operator care in application. hmmm.....sounds similar to a file except files are alot cheaper and do a better job when you master them.

Russ

jokers said:
The 108181 is a "mini" grinder meaning that it has a smaller diameter wheel, 4 1/2" vs 5 7/8", which will have a more dramatically changing radius from wear right from the start. This is significant to you because centering on a pivoting head grinder is affected by wheel diameter. Another thing to consider is that the mini grinders that I have tried all had a higher rpm motor than the larger grinders and even with the smaller diameter wheel, it seems evident that rim speed is higher because they are more prone to burning a tooth. The small grinders are also less powerful which is a factor in feed speed of the wheel against the tooth. There is an optimal ratio of metal removed vs heat imparted to the tooth that is hard to achieve with the minis. The mini grinders are also built less robustley than the 511s and are easier to flex out of precise angular alignment and they lack an adjustable chain vise that allows you to grind the 10° topplate angle on chisel chain. The head angle is not adjustable on many of the small grinders either and I believe this is also true of the 108181.

Russ

That is great info and very useful
Thanks

Back