Difference between red and black oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thillmaine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How do I tellt eh difference between Northern Red Oak Quercus rubra and the Black Oak Quercus vellutina
I was told acorn size, but is ther eany easier way? Also orange inner bacrk on black oak, but to me red oak looks orange as well.

On larger trees, black oak has more blocky bark. The bark is also usually a little darker. The buds and the bottom of the leaves of black oak are slightly pubescent. The final think I look for is the black oak leaves are "more full" - lobes are not as pronounced.

Black Oak has a checkerboard pattern on more mature trees where red has a lined patern bark.

Black has Orange inner bark, red has more of a yellow.

Black leaves are deeper green and waxier looking with less lobes.

The buds on black are more pubescent, hairier.

Hope this helps......if not go to........ http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/main.htm

Had this picture in my tree folder. Northern Red Oak, Black Oak, Northern Pin Oak
attachment.php

Looks like black oak in the middle to me. Black oak tends to have a bigger difference between the sun leaves and shade leaves than many others...

The one on the left is the pin oak though, right.

Looks like black oak in the middle to me. Black oak tends to have a bigger difference between the sun leaves and shade leaves than many others...

The one on the left is the pin oak though, right.

As for the pin Oak thats what I thought too. But he could be right if naming them from right to left?

Q.vellutina leaves are VERY similiar to Red, except for the lobes and color.
And I stand corrected, I never noticed the big round leaves before. learn something new everyday!

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=39

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/LandownerFactsheets/detail.cfm?Genus=Quercus&Species=velutina

How do I tellt eh difference between Northern Red Oak Quercus rubra and the Black Oak Quercus vellutina
I was told acorn size, but is ther eany easier way? Also orange inner bacrk on black oak, but to me red oak looks orange as well.

The easiest way if the leaves are present is to count the lobes. Black oak leaves will have between 5 and 7 lobes. Red oak leaves will have between 7 and 11 lobes. Also the shape of the buds is a good indicator too. Red has larger more rounded buds, where black has smaller more angular buds.

I'm still confused!

Here is what I thought is / was a red oak. It was a triple before the 10/29/11 Nor'easter. Now it's a double.

Pin? Red? Black?

The leaf definitely came from the tree in question, watched it fall. Strange "ripple" in the split wood, primarily from logs near the base.

Any opinions??

Here is what I thought is / was a red oak. It was a triple before the 10/29/11 Nor'easter. Now it's a double.

Pin? Red? Black?

The leaf definitely came from the tree in question, watched it fall. Strange "ripple" in the split wood, primarily from logs near the base.

Any opinions??

If its not, it sure looks like pin oak. Pretty sure thats what you have. I don't remember if it was previously mentioned, but pin oak and black oak sometimes cross. The ones I remember that were had an orangess-red wood color like black oak, bark looked inbetween and so did the leaf. That wood and bark look like pin on yours and so does the leaf. I've seen thousands of those trees, have em in the yard and many in the woods.

@ Big L --> Red oak

It does not have the horizontal branching structure that is typical of pin oak.

@ Big L --> Red oak

It does not have the horizontal branching structure that is typical of pin oak.

That's what I thought PJM ... With my short extreme interest in the forest world, I have rarely heard the term "Pin Oak". My understanding is that Red Oak is by far the most common oak in in this central Connecticut area.

Thanks,

LW

Back