Difference between red and black oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pin oak has a smaller range. Here in NY its generally confined to the western Lake Plains and downstate near the City, so it may extend into CT, but I'm not sure.

Black oak tends to be more of a southern species. In NY it is more often found on the drier hillsides of the Finger Lakes region.

You can find species range maps @ Silvics Manual Volume 1-Conifers and Volume 2-Hardwoods

Here is what I thought is / was a red oak. It was a triple before the 10/29/11 Nor'easter. Now it's a double.

Pin? Red? Black?

The leaf definitely came from the tree in question, watched it fall. Strange "ripple" in the split wood, primarily from logs near the base.

Any opinions??

That is scarlet oak you have there. The sinuses are not nearly deep enough to be pin oak, and pin oak tends to have lobes that point up on the top, straight in the middle and down at the bottom. Also, the wood color is consistent with scarlet oak as it has a hue very similar to red oak.

That is scarlet oak you have there. The sinuses are not nearly deep enough to be pin oak, and pin oak tends to have lobes that point up on the top, straight in the middle and down at the bottom. Also, the wood color is consistent with scarlet oak as it has a hue very similar to red oak.

I will not disagree. I used to work in a tree nursery , saw a lot of scarlet oak seedlings, but full size trees are rare here. I do have 1 growing I planted on my Dads farm a ways from here but haven't observed it much. Now that scarlet oak comes to mind I believe I recognize the leaf as scarlet oak and not pin oak. The texture of the wood to me looks very much like pin oak and the bark similiar but I believe your right.

I will not disagree. I used to work in a tree nursery , saw a lot of scarlet oak seedlings, but full size trees are rare here. I do have 1 growing I planted on my Dads farm a ways from here but haven't observed it much. Now that scarlet oak comes to mind I believe I recognize the leaf as scarlet oak and not pin oak. The texture of the wood to me looks very much like pin oak and the bark similiar but I believe your right.

This could be it! Until now, had never heard of scarlet oak. Looking at the latest Tree Book from the Arbor Day Foundation, on page 14, there it is ... sure looks like it to me :peace:

LW

BigL - what color do the leaves turn in the fall? If they do not turn scarlet red, then I am still saying that this is a red oak.

BigL - what color do the leaves turn in the fall? If they do not turn scarlet red, then I am still saying that this is a red oak.

Not really sure ... never seem to notice the oaks, always thought they all just turn brown. With all the maples around here, they're the ones that give us color! I'll have to pay closer attention next fall :msp_thumbsup:

Special Uses

In addition to its value as a timber and wildlife species, scarlet oak is widely planted as an ornamental. Its brilliant red autumn color, open crown texture, and rapid growth make it a desirable tree for yard, street, and park.

Latest posts

Back