Difference between the 360 and 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm new to the site and I have learned a lot already. I was wonder if anybody could tell me the difference between the stihl 360 and 361. I know the 361 is anti vibe. But what about the engine ? Are the ports the same? Or is it the exact same engine? Any info would be appreciated? Thank you

Thanks. I'm looking to have one ported for some back yard racing . So I would probably be better off starting with a 361?

I have both and in stock form the 361 is noticeably stronger and a little heavier. I have no idea on the technical side of it though.

Mdavlee gave you the right advice, the 361 is a design unto itself, one of the best Stihl has put on the market imho.....it was the saw on here four or five years ago, some even claimed it cured cancer. It has a good power to weight ratio, responds well to a muffler mod, one of the best firewood saws going, We have a regional tree service that still wants us to give them the right of first refusal on everyone we have traded in. 361 just out classes the 036 imho

Thanks. I'm looking to have one ported for some back yard racing . So I would probably be better off starting with a 361?

Scott aka Tree Monkey just ported my 361 from here on this site. I'm awaiting its return home:clap:

The MS361 is a Husqvarna in disguise, with all the potential for high rpm horse power. The MS360 is a genuine STIHL with more potential low speed grunt.

Totally different designs, as others have said - the 361 runs like a Husky xp, when allowed to breath properly. The US version is badly choked down from the factory though, for EPA reasons.

Back