Are these drive links correct for Stihl 361 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansFranz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought three of those $6 chain loops from Hipa store and tried one today, and it seemed to work fine ... but I just noticed that the drive links appear to be a slightly different shape than the drive links on the chain that I took off my saw (which I believe is Stihl brand chain).
So now I'm wondering whether I ordered the wrong chain.

Here's a pic, with my used chain on top and the new Hipa chain on the bottom:

Hipa-drive-links.jpg

Can anyone tell me whether I'm OK running this chain on my 361 ? I don't want to tear up the drive sprocket or do anything dangerous if this isn't the right chain.

Thanks for any help.

I just bought three of those $6 chain loops from Hipa store and tried one today, and it seemed to work fine ... but I just noticed that the drive links appear to be a slightly different shape than the drive links on the chain that I took off my saw (which I believe is Stihl brand chain).
So now I'm wondering whether I ordered the wrong chain.

Here's a pic, with my used chain on top and the new Hipa chain on the bottom:

Hipa-drive-links.jpg

Can anyone tell me whether I'm OK running this chain on my 361 ? I don't want to tear up the drive sprocket or do anything dangerous if this isn't the right chain.

Thanks for any help.
You are joking, right? The first pic looks to me to be all worn to hell. That means your sprocket is worn to hell also, and I wouldn't doubt the bar is too. Just saying because someone might fall for the joke.

Thanks guys.

No joke... the bar looks fine but I didn't look at the sprocket (and wouldn't know how to tell whether sprocket was worn out, anyway).

I guess it's time for a new sprocket. (How long do they normally last? Apparently not 15 years :oops:)

Also -- if I replace the rim sprocket, I guess that old chain shouldn't be used with a new sprocket, is that correct?

Thanks guys.

No joke... the bar looks fine but I didn't look at the sprocket (and wouldn't know how to tell whether sprocket was worn out, anyway).

I guess it's time for a new sprocket. (How long do they normally last? Apparently not 15 years :oops:)

Also -- if I replace the rim sprocket, I guess that old chain shouldn't be used with a new sprocket, is that correct?
Yup it's like a bicycle/motorcycle chain, replace both sprocket and chain together.

You can get a new gaggle of chains, and switch them out for each sharpening, and they will wear in with that sprocket. Bar sprockets don't really care until they are junk.

Save the old stuff for cutting dirty junk wood, stumps, fence rows, cadavers.....

Next question:

Would you guys buy one OEM Stihl-marked sprocket for $19 ... or three Chicom sprockets for $9 ?

Are rim sprockets something that should be OEM in your opinion? Thanks again.

Post up a picture of your sprocket.
Here it is ... I'm guessing the divots in the rim on each side of the "holes" shouldn't be there...

rim-sprocket-wear.jpg

I suspect this wear might have something to do with my piss-poor oiler (replaced 2X under warranty and still doesn't oil worth a damn)...one of these days I need to put in a 460 high-volume oiler...

Here it is ... I'm guessing the divots in the rim on each side of the "holes" shouldn't be there...

rim-sprocket-wear.jpg

I suspect this wear might have something to do with my piss-poor oiler (replaced 2X under warranty and still doesn't oil worth a damn)...one of these days I need to put in a 460 high-volume oiler...
That rim is worn, but reusable. Not whipped. When the cross barr gets wear it's done.

$19 is way too much for a rim. Not sure what STEAL wants local here now? STEAL wanted $9 for an NGK plug, $3-4 at NAPA Auto

That rim is worn, but reusable. Not whipped. When the cross barr gets wear it's done.

$19 is way too much for a rim. Not sure what STEAL wants local here now? STEAL wanted $9 for an NGK plug, $3-4 at NAPA Auto
That is junk by my standards, replace it with OEM

Thanks, the local dealer has a rim sprocket for $10 so I'll probably get one there to have on hand when this one wears out.

That looks like a ton of wear for only 25 cords of wood, but I am not sure an oiler will help you there. Excessive chain wear is usually from improper chain tension.

Thanks. TBH, that chain has cut far less than 25 cords. Probably less than 2 cords. I have maybe 8 chains in rotation in varying stages of wear...or are you referring to the wear on the rim sprocket?

I usually run my chains a bit "looser" than (for example) the way my dealer sets them ... I like them to "sag" just a bit from gravity (like 1/16" to 3/32") from the middle of the bar on a cold saw ... would excessive chain wear be more likely from "too tight" or "too loose"?
I'm always leery of having them end up too tight when everything cools back down, so I usually err on the side of loose rather than tight.
Also, with this saw being so stingy on oil, I don't want to risk a tight chain getting hot and stretching and/or burning the bar. Could running chains too loose cause chain wear like what I have...?

Thanks. TBH, that chain has cut far less than 25 cords. Probably less than 2 cords. I have maybe 8 chains in rotation in varying stages of wear...or are you referring to the wear on the rim sprocket?

I usually run my chains a bit "looser" than (for example) the way my dealer sets them ... I like them to "sag" just a bit from gravity (like 1/16" to 3/32") from the middle of the bar on a cold saw ... would excessive chain wear be more likely from "too tight" or "too loose"?
I'm always leery of having them end up too tight when everything cools back down, so I usually err on the side of loose rather than tight.
Also, with this saw being so stingy on oil, I don't want to risk a tight chain getting hot and stretching and/or burning the bar. Could running chains too loose cause chain wear like what I have...?
A loose chain certainly beats up the sprocket.

That looks like a ton of wear for only 25 cards of wood, but I am not sure an oiler will help you there. Excessive chain wear is usually from improper chain tension.
I do always upgrade my Stihl oilers when possibl

A loose chain certainly beats up the sprocket.
And too tight will break a crank.

Latest posts

Back