Different chain angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gslam88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was sharpening my blades yesterday and thinking..

I know it was dangerous for me to do two things at once... but I did anyway... lol

But what is the effect if I change the angle on a blade from say 25 degrees to 30 or 35 degree's? Or vise versa.. although a bit harder to do... Will it make much of a difference at all, or just be a little more or less aggressive?

Cuts fatester but the cutter edge dulls even faster..I do it sometimes for soft wood but the results are not too great......if you hit some grit or dirt the game is over

Sharper angle generally means a little sharper mostly due to the increase angle on the side of the cutter,IMO. But the difference in real life is not that much, and how sharp the chain is overall makes much more difference.

I tend to pick an angle for each chain depending on how I am going to use it and stick with it as I hate to waste the cutter when resharpening later.

I agree with b_turner.

Generally more angle is for soft wood, and less angle for harder wood.

Switching back and forth on the same chain is a waste of time and chain life....;)

One thing you need to remember is the more you increase that angle, the wider the kerf, the more power required. So if your saw is at it's power limit you could be cutting slower because of decreased chain speed. I run my own stuff with a 20 degree sharpening angle with a 50 degree cutting angle. I've found this recipe to cut good and keep it's edge well but, it's all relative to your own conditions.

I think your approach to this is a bit conservative, Grande...... :yoyo: :yoyo:

...but if the saw is at the limit, I believe you're right......

I still have yet to figure out how it would change the kerf.
But I use different angles for hard wood and soft wood

Best I can see it.

The sharper angle would cause the chsel point to dig basically. I used to run 35 degrees. Til I hung out with a few loggers for a while.. One guy even wanted his sharpened at 25, where as the main guy set his to 30.
So I changed mine to 30. I can not tell that much difference.
I guess same chain, ground first to 30 degrees , Make a few cookies. and then grind it back to 35 degrees. and do the same .

Latest posts

Back