DINGFRAPPEN SPIT!!#$@ My 066 went to chainsaw heaven

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy1941

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well dang it anyway. My 066 went south on me. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks good, but cant turn it over. Lower end bearings. Saw a new crank assembly for $99.00, so it looks like I have a project for this winter. I will have to try to use the 045 on the mill, but thats a lot of work on that saw. Anyone have experience with replacing the lower end on a 066? I dont even have a case splitter.

My .02 cents worth, if you are milling with your 066 and going to stick with Stihl, buy the specialty tools, because you will need them if you do a lot of milling. The tools pay for themselves in 1 use, makes the job sooooooo much easier! If you are going to mill with a smaller saw, check out Bailey's for the B/C for milling with the Picco chain, Really cuts down on the power requirements, and still able to maintain cutting speed for a CS mill. I am looking at replacing my 3/8 pitch milling B/C setup for the picco setup. I like 25-30% increase in cutting speed. I don't know if you would be able to set up the 066 or similar sized saw with the smaller chain, would have to talk to Greg at Baileys, he would be able to tell you if the chain can handle the higher HP.

Well dang it anyway. My 066 went south on me. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks good, but cant turn it over. Lower end bearings. Saw a new crank assembly for $99.00, so it looks like I have a project for this winter. I will have to try to use the 045 on the mill, but thats a lot of work on that saw. Anyone have experience with replacing the lower end on a 066? I dont even have a case splitter.

Are you sure it is the crank bearings?

Bearings are standard & cheap!

It's either metric or sae size - if the oem bearings aren't a reasonable price, (shocking) i'd snoop around for replacements.

If they aren't marked (brg #), then I'd measure them (micrometer) and google it.

If you're not an experienced mech, (I'm bettin' you are) then ask around, the bearings are worth $15/ea. and maybe $20 to remove the old & press the new.

That's if they don't just slide off.

Jus' sayin'

luck,greg

If you can't pull the rope at all, I will bet that he will be shopping for a new piston/cyl. too.......

My .02 cents worth, if you are milling with your 066 and going to stick with Stihl, buy the specialty tools, because you will need them if you do a lot of milling. The tools pay for themselves in 1 use, makes the job sooooooo much easier! If you are going to mill with a smaller saw, check out Bailey's for the B/C for milling with the Picco chain, Really cuts down on the power requirements, and still able to maintain cutting speed for a CS mill. I am looking at replacing my 3/8 pitch milling B/C setup for the picco setup. I like 25-30% increase in cutting speed. I don't know if you would be able to set up the 066 or similar sized saw with the smaller chain, would have to talk to Greg at Baileys, he would be able to tell you if the chain can handle the higher HP.

They sold/sell a Logosol version of the 066/660 here, with a Picco setup (63PMX chain), so surely it is availiable!

They sold/sell a Logosol version of the 066/660 here, with a Picco setup (63PMX chain), so surely it is availiable!

Yes, there's even a Picco spur sprocket for 066: 1122 640 2006

Picco bars are available in the 3003 mount, like the 16" Stihl: 3003 000 6313
Logosol (Baileys) has longer bars too for Picco, like the 25": 3003 025 0063

And as Troll says, Picco ripping chain (PMX) is available in many different lengths.

/Pontus

Latest posts

Back