Dingo owners question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeFeller11

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is for all the tracked model toro dingo owners. Do you guys ever have issues with your keyways shearing in your drive motor shafts? I purchased my 425 wide track model several months ago and had to replace the right side motor/shaft and now today my left side has sheared.

The previous owner said he replaced both drive motors somewhat recently. I'm assuming he was cheap and probably didn't change the wheel hubs when he put the new motors in, or didn't put a new keyway in. The manual says every time you take the drive wheel off of the shaft that you are supposed to replace the shaft and key. Now I'm sending my left side in to be rebuilt for another $490. Plus a new wheel hub for $89.

I'm just curious if this is a common problem for the dingo or if it was just installation error by the previous owner. I haven't had any problem with my replaced side yet that I did two months ago. If this is common then I may be selling mine to get a different brand.

Also, I am the only one who runs this machine so it is not abused. I always come to a complete stop before changing direction and ease back onto it when I do move forward or back.

Thanks for any help!

I bought a used dingo a couple months ago I bought from a dealer the previous owner I coincidentally met a week after purchasing. I asked the guy how he liked his new mini and found out he traded mine for his new one. He said the dingo was extremely reliable he said starter and hub key way sheared off were the only fixes besides tracks. I've put about 50hrs on it so far and zero problems just tightened the tracks for the first time. Mine is a 427tx 2012. I personally think it is my favorite piece of machinery I have ever ran. I never got to see one in person with a grapple running before had to buy it blind. If it was a problem I bet the new ones have a built in fix toro has a good name that's what I've heard.

I'm not familiar with the machine, but assuming the shaft is a taper fit, the keyway will see very little load if the nut is properly torqued. Ensure a good clean fitup on both the shaft and the hub by getting onto them with a wire brush and even a very light rub with some 180 emery cloth followed by a wipedown with prepsol/mineral spirits etc. Properly torqued nut = good to go.

I had problems with this on an SK650 shortly after getting it used. Someone had replaced the track drive motor. I suspect they didn't torque it down properly. I cleaned mine up good, replaced the key, and torqued it. No problem since.

Latest posts

Back