Dirty Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
G'Day all

I am trying to clean up some very gummed up chains. I remember some time back, someone saying that oven cleaner works well. Is this true?. Also what about engine degreaser, will this work? Does anyone have any more suggestions.

Oven cleaner, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, just don't get the environmentally friendly stuff! The nasty stuff works quick and easy, just don't breathe the fumes and wash your hands before eating:cheers: .

Basically any hardcore solvent ie. acetone, laquer thinner, xylene, etc.. has worked for me in the past. In the US, laquer thinner is approx $9.00/gal at the local hardware store and works well.

Or, soak the chain in kerosene or diesel fuel for a day or three, that always seems to get the crud off.

FWIW,

Andy

The purple Castrol Super clean from Walmart also works very good. It is made to disolve oil.

Gunk brand "engine bright" degreaser works well. Just don't use it near your asphalt driveway.

dirtychain fix

i use superclean it is the best for the price and will last for a long time cut a gallon jug top off and let the chain sleep overnight then take a hose and wash it off with a spray nozzle then let it dry then put back on the saw and run it to oil it so it wont rust up on ya !

Anyone use a solvent tank? I buy regular parts washer solvent for my parts washer. When I have really greasy oil baked on nuts, bolts, small parts, etc. I just put sovent in a pan and soak them. Seems like it should work on chains. Any thoughts?

Jim

cleaner

Weiss foods has a $! section.Thats where I get my oven cleaner.Spray it on,leave a minute, brush.Let it sit another minute.Hose off.drop in coffee can with oil.your're done.
Ed

I pour some laquer thinner in a wide, flat old aluminum frying pan I kept for such things [flat so it doesn't require a lot of the thinner]. Soak the chain, push it around with a stick or old toothbrush. Same set-up works for my table saw blades, with some brushing involved.

My airplane mechanic buddy uses Simple Green, a version which says "Aviation" above the "Simple Green" name. I asked him what the difference is, he said it is formulated to be safe if the overspray hits anything plastic [like airplane windows]. I wasn't aware Simple Green was damaging to plastic, but I've never used it anyway. But I am going to check into this stuff. Haven't gotten around to asking him where he gets it [owning a shop, he probably gets it from some aviation supplies place]...we were interrupted the other day when I was reading the label on the bottle in his hangar. Someone else here probably has info' on the stuff...I've seen numerous references to Simple Green on this forum.

Back