Disaster relief chainsaw volunteers needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Samaritans Purse is looking for volunteers to help with the cleanup from the ice storm last week in Augusta Ga. here is a link to go to get all the info.. http://spvolunteernetwork.samaritanspurse.org/augusta-ga-ice-storm-response/ Our Southern Baptist disaster relief team is heading down there I think at the end of next week.. The work is hard, the food and sleeping are crappy..LOL... just kidding.. seriously you will get a blessing from helping the victims of the storm.. Samaritans purse is a top notch operation.. they will supply everything or you can bring your own.. I always bring my own saws but they have a semi load of them... I have been going out to tornado areas with them for about 4 years now.. when we are through at a home it looks better than before the disaster hit.. we always present the homeowner with a Bible and pray with them.. thank you!

What if they are of another belief?

I have volunteered with non-religious cleanups. We expect nothing in return, except there was a lady who took it upon herself to drive around and distribute the best hotdogs. She had something keeping them warm in the trunk of her car. They were sooooo good.

The Mormon groups do not inject religion into their cleanup--at least I didn't see any. They were working with us. Why risk causing more uncomfortable feelings for the people who need help?

I have volunteered with non-religious cleanups. We expect nothing in return, except there was a lady who took it upon herself to drive around and distribute the best hotdogs. She had something keeping them warm in the trunk of her car. They were sooooo good.

The Mormon groups do not inject religion into their cleanup--at least I didn't see any. They were working with us. Why risk causing more uncomfortable feelings for the people who need help?
We never have any issues.. there is always a chaplin or team leader who goes out into the neighborhoods, introduces themselves and lets the homeowner know who they are and what we can do for them.. if they want our help they fill out a work order.. if not.. they go to the next home.. no pressure at all.. usually after a day or so..when the word spreads, the homeowners will actually come to the church to sign up to get our help..

You seemed to have upset the religious here (with a thumbs down). Sad that. We are stuck in the dark ages. I am not interested in being presented with a Bible or prayers, no matter what happens. Nor would I be interested in presenting one or praying for anyone. For me, that is all very draconian and self serving. There are Jews and Hindus and atheists and a lot of other beliefs out there. I am a first responder on the ski patrol myself. I do not preach what I believe to people that I rescue or tend to medically up on the mountain. I do not pray for them either. I attend to safety, sweeps, search and rescue, and people's immediate medical needs. End of story.

So, in order for them to get your help, do they have to agree to pray and get a bible? Just curious.
No.. we have worked all day cleaning up massive trees.. (the biggest I have cut was over 48 inches..the bar on the 090 stihl was 48 and I had to cut it from both sides..) and when we got finished we knocked on the door to thank the homeowner for letting us clear their yard and present the bible and no one would come to the door.. had that happen more than once.. or just before we get through the people leave and dont come back until we are gone.. doesnt matter one lick to use.. we do it anyway just to show Gods love..

Interesting. I've got a major case of cabin fever and an urge to run some chainsaws. Do you know the exact dates this is going on?
Its going on right now.. you can click the link in my op to sign up,, they take one day at a time volunteers or you can stay and cut as long as you wish...

You seemed to have upset the religious here (with a thumbs down). Sad that. We are stuck in the dark ages. I am not interested in being presented with a Bible or prayers, no matter what happens. Nor would I be interested in presenting one or praying for anyone. For me, that is all very draconian and self serving. There are Jews and Hindus and atheists and a lot of other beliefs out there. I am a first responder on the ski patrol myself. I do not preach what I believe to people that I rescue or tend to medically up on the mountain. I do not pray for them either. I attend to safety, sweeps, search and rescue, and people's immediate medical needs. End of story.

Thank you. Yup, I'm getting the dislikes for my questions. Flood victims are usually in a kind of shock. The one woman, whose house we spent a day on, said she finally felt she could leave while we were working and get away for a while. She'd just had her house renovated before the flood. Shock sets in. We told her to go get some rest, and we went to work, tearing up the carpet, carrying out the wrecked stuff, and working up courage to open the refrigerator, which was on its back. Refrigerators drift about in a house full of water. I'd hate to burden such a person with religion that they might just not agree with. They've been through enough.

Dislike away. Some of you need to realize that not everybody is of the same beliefs. Nuff said.

Dislike away. Some of you need to realize that not everybody is of the same beliefs. Nuff said.

For you Bible thumpers handing out your thumbs down to Slowp, from Mathew 7: Do not judge, or you too will be judged. It seems rather petty of you. I have met Slowp myself, and I really have to wonder (shaking head). It also makes me angry that anyone would ply their Bibles and religious beliefs on the doorsteps of people in a disaster situation, even when they know full well that the Bibles and behavior is not wanted. WTF is that about? Gods love, or forceful religious bigotry?

My step-mother was a Catholic nun. Full vows. My step-brother is a Lutheran minister. My father was a Presbyterian and played the organ every Sunday. My uncle is a Gideon and leaves Bibles in all those motel rooms. I am fully versed on all of this and I lived through The Reformation on a daily basis for many years. I never understood any of it myself. If anything, I am a Bhuddist. But as said, I do not ply my beliefs on anyone in a disaster situation, and rarely in any situation. Nor do I want it plied on me. Legally on the patrol I cannot even advise people about medical stuff, even though I am heavily trained in medical response and first aid. I get around that by saying something like, "I cannot advise you about your medical condition, but I would take an Aleve myself to reduce the swelling."

At the risk of walking into a mine field here .... I suspect the sincere volunteers doing this good work, would earn more respect and less resistance to their particular faith, by simply having a name badge on their lapel with their church affiliation on it. If the homeowner shows any interest in your organization, then that might be the time to offer more in the way of personal prayer support or publications. Everyone is naturally wary if they feel like they are being recruited. :eek: People are attracted to genuine goodness in their own time.

Thanks to all of you who are offering this type of much needed help, out of the goodness of your hearts.

I have worked with many faith based volunteers after several storms. Most will help anyone who needs it, and are receptive to volunteers of any faith.

I do it to help, and willing to work alongside most people with the same goal. It is best to work with established groups following these events, and to work with the local Emergency Manager.

If the practices of a particular group make you feel uncomfortable, find another. But please do not rule out working with a faith based group, even if your personal beliefs are different. They form a major part of volunteer groups who do this type of work.

People afraid to come to the door might be afraid of being charged for the work. Some are still in shock after a disaster, and some have been warned about rip-off contractors and scam artists.

Philbert

So, in order for them to get your help, do they have to agree to pray and get a bible? Just curious.

Do you have any idea at all how absurd that question is??
Do you even have a clue how absurd the ideology that drives such a question is??
I ain't a religious man, I ain't even stepped in a church in over thirty years... but I've at least taken the time to educate myself about the Christen religion.
If I may, to borrow from you... don't move here.

A self educated man, that's impressive. Tell us again how you taught yourself to read and write, I missed that part. Also, I don't think you have to worry about too many people moving to Iowa!

Do you have any idea at all how absurd that question is??

In fairness to slowp, and my comments about 'most' faith-based groups, I have run into a very small percentage who have a 'litmus' test for volunteers to participate, and who focus on 'helping their own'. There are also a small percent who view these events as an opportunity to proselytize to people who have been shaken by a disaster.

Most faith based groups I have worked with are there to help all, mainly as part of a charitable outreach of helping others in need. But there are enough of the others that Emergency Managers and Law Enforcement often restrict access to affected areas, and feel more comfortable working with established relief organizations.

Philbert

I gave SlowP a neg rep not because of religious beliefs as you seem to think. I gave the dislike because instead of recognizing the good this group is doing, she picks through it to find something bad about it. And then go on to let us know she has done this same type of thing but of course her way was far better. Get's really old.

Ted

Back