Thoughts while following a disaster relief truck home.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcaarms

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Limestone County in Northern Alabama made the news due to tornadoes Monday night. My home was sparred. Not one speck of damage but for about five trees blown down. . One of the tornadoes went .25 miles West of my house, another went about a half mile to the East of my house. I drove to work in Huntsville before sunrise Tuesday Morning. Huntsville is about 30 miles to the East of where I live. About 09:00 AM they sent us all home to get ready for the next storm system. I drove the 32 miles behind a large disaster relief truck coming from a Church in Huntsville. It was headed to ground zero which turns out to be about a half mile away from my home. The whole time I kept thinking about just how blessed I am.
Anne Landrum has been relaying her thoughts on this for a while here on AS. Her attitude has kept me focused on what really matters. I know there are many instances of bickering and whatnot here on AS. The important thing is that there are some really nice people on here, and they help me keep centered on what matters.
One funny thing about tornadoes. They are followed by a bunch of chainsaws. They make things OK again. Whether getting a tree off a house, or simply cleaning downed trees out of yards. Chainsaws are a part or recovery.

Peace

Glad you made it OK, I know a lot of folks didn't fare well at all.

Once you take a direct tornado hit, it changes your life, if you live through it that is. You need all the saw and saw skills you can muster, and then some.

Hello to Limestone county from Madison county.

I have had multiple tornadoes North and South of my home over the last 20+ yrs that I have been in Plevna, North of New Market. A storm shelter was one of my first projects when I moved here; although, it is now needing rebuilding. Tree roots has done wall damage along with those minor earthquakes.

I had people questioning my reasons for planting so many trees top to South and West of my home. I rather use a chainsaw and clean up trees instead of having to do a lot home repairs. I only lost three older fruit trees this round. It wasn't from the initial storms but from the straight line winds later after storms had passed.
Sure have got to where get a lot wind before and after storms. Don't remember it being like this when I was growing up.

Take care...And pay attention to the warnings.

Started the cleanup Tuesday afternoon after work. Climbed the maple next to my house and dropped the remaining large limbs prior to the storm coming through with my echo 271. Cut up about a third of the brush and hauled it to the street. Wednesday after work I started on a large oak that was hung in a hickory. I used the 2260 for that, and was amazed how well that saw performs. most of the oak will be burned behind my range berm. I had never used the 2260 for more than one or two cookies. It runs better than I thought it could. The maple and oak trunks will be time for me to use the 2188. I've only used it once before to help a friend. I hope to be back to semi normal by Sunday afternoon. Then I will go help others that need trees cut up. I am truly blessed in having so little house damage. Several people I work with lost their homes.

The Tuscaloosa Tornado really got people relooking their tornado preparation. Almost everyone has a tornado shelter now, and the communities have built several shelters in the past year. They are responsible for the deaths going down. Tornadoes are the only negative about living out here Northwest of Athens. I moved from Southeast Huntsville six months ago after living there for 15 years.

I have an "All Weather" from Saferooms.com

Below ground has more protection, however they can fill up with water. Either from rain after the roof goes sailing away, or from water pipes being broken when the house crumbles. It's split about 40/60 above to below in my workplace. Cost is the about same. Most say they can't get cell reception below ground. I can receive wx updates while in shelter. Once door is closed its hard to tell if storm is gone. I have lots of space in my garage and can still use it as a garage. Benefit of underground is they cut into garage floor and you don't loose the space. Best $5,500 I ever spent.

Latest posts

Back