Disaster Relief extended education

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Chinaski

Number 37
Reaction score
I'm part of our church's disaster relief ministry and we help folks after storms by taking trees off their houses and tarp them.

We've been in operation for several years, but are trying to improve our setup and as long as I'm part of it, we will constantly try to improve.

What are good arborist related resources for storm damage operations?

We run on volunteer waivers as well as home owner waivers, are there any other suggested "documents" that ya'll would suggest?

We're looking at doing in house education/certification for saw operators, limb/brush pullers, and trailer towers, which are our main jobs. We'll also make "army proof" books that show via pics/descriptions exactly how to hook up our exact trailers etc
Any other suggestions in this area?

We're open to any suggestions that ya'll may have to help our efficiency and abilities up to a certain point. We won't be doing any bucket/crane ops, or ropes/climbing other than we use safety harness' on steep pitch roofing and ladders to cut from the roof.

We usually operate a few 20", a 36", and a couple pole saws as well as a skid steer w/grapple root bucket.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions

word after hurricane Katrina, was there would be mandatory requirement of 1 out of every 3 people per crew in disaster relief tree work had to be EHAP, Line Clearance certified, certified CPR, First Aid certified, and Insured. It's a wonderful thing to see brother helping brother when in need... unfortunately, there are many injuries, deaths, and additional damages during these times. These things could be prevented and/or minimized with special trainings and certs. like these.
It would be easy for authorities to label those without the required certs. and insurances as being thieves and/or criminally motivated.
After seeing the hazards involved in disaster relief work first hand, and hearing sirens several times every day responding to other "tree workers'" accidents, I certainly see the need for special training. If left up to me... I would also include suspension trauma, and gas leak hazards education as a requirement.
I applaud you for inquiring in such training.

I'm also very involved with CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) which gives basic understanding of a lot of the necessities right after an event (gas lines, electrical, fire handling etc) and our CERT is tied in with our local Fire Department and through them I've gotten Health Care Provider level CPR and First Responder (FREE!!!) as well as HazMat training and Comms (HAM), so we may try to incorporate a lot more of this into our group as well.

Thank you for your reply, I'd rep you, but I've hit too many folks today, so I'll get you in the next cycle.

Latest posts

Back