Discovery channel's "extreme logging"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You forgot Marbeled Murrelet restrictions. No equipment including saws between March 1st and July 15th.

Good catch! And then those pesky Murrelets have to get their sleep so you must wait one hour after sunrise to start work, and quit one hour before sunrise till August 15! We don't see them but they might could be around so we have that restriction also. In some areas that is.

To get a job in the woods in the busy days, one stood outside the Mt Adams Cafe at 0:dark thirty and hoped somebody on a crew did not show up.

Has anyone ever actually seen a Marb. Murrelet? I never have, and its my understanding they spend half their life in the woods, and the other half at sea. Same as me.

Has anyone ever actually seen a Marb. Murrelet? I never have, and its my understanding they spend half their life in the woods, and the other half at sea. Same as me.

I've never seen one and I was born and raised in Humboldt County. Somebody told me that they spend most of their lives at sea and return to land just for nesting.

I've never seen one in the woods and when I was a kid I worked on trollers out of Eureka and never saw one at sea either. Maybe somebody can post an actual picture of one.

Last edited:
The TV show, Oregon Field Guide had a segment on them. Someone had finally filmed the birds in trees. It wasn't too exciting. I seem to recall that they look like basic birds.;)

Now, out in the woods today, we (loggers and I) had a discussion about owls. Whether it was barred owls or bard owls that were killing off the spotted owls. We decided that bard owls would only be found around Ashland, OR for the Shakespearian stuff, so it must be the barred owls that were killing the spotted owls. However, I think the barred owls might better be called striped owls because they also can be confused with barn owls, which is how this conversation got started. I think everybody is getting hard of hearing. Hearing aid stocks should be a good investment.

I think I saw one fly by near lake Quinault. I was pushing with the cat at the time. Probably ruined its beauty rest.

Gologit, what boats did you work on, and when? I used to fish out of Eureka a lot in the 70's. We had some good trips off the Mattole river and Domingo Creek. Eel Canyon rocked.

Too bad those places are off limits. Stupid KMZ rules. Worse than logging, the Fed sure can ruin a good thing.

Another Humboldt guy here, never saw a Murlett either, anywhere. We had a boat in CC, never went commercial, just played, it was an old double-ender.
I knew the Mattole well enough, family had a ranch there, all BLM now.

Bushler,
The crab season is bust, most have gone home already, tough going for lots of people.

Gologit, what boats did you work on, and when? I used to fish out of Eureka a lot in the 70's. We had some good trips off the Mattole river and Domingo Creek. Eel Canyon rocked.

Too bad those places are off limits. Stupid KMZ rules. Worse than logging, the Fed sure can ruin a good thing.

Oh man, we are talking ancient history here. I worked summers in the late fifties and early sixties for my uncle on the South Harbor.We went for salmon and then albacore. It was a 40 foot double ender built by Tacoma Boat Works in the late thirties. Little bitty house and a big foc'sl. Like most of those boats you ran with your flopper-stoppers out whenever you could.:) My uncle had the boat built for him. After he retired the boat went through several owners and last I heard it was tidal and breaking up in San Pablo Bay.

I crabbed for Russ Snyder on the Pat Larocca a couple of winters whenever I could ditch school. I think it was broken up for firewood and fittings...had so many sistered frames there wasn't much left to nail to.

Went to Dutch and Kodiak for kingcrab two seasons in the early seventies for another uncle and that was about the end of it. We lost the boat in False Pass, spent some time in the raft, and I decided logging might be a better way to make a living. I thought about buying a troller...glad I didn't now. LOL...But I still think about it. Gets to you, doesn't it.

Last edited:
Your pun about The Bard will probably go above the heads of most around here I am afraid. But a good one. I would think that bar owls here will all be in taverns? Also barred owls are not directly killing the spotted owls, they are displacing their habitat. Many owls do hunt and kill other species of owls, particularly the spotted owl (they hunt pigmy owls and other birds).

In the 4 years that I lived out in the boonies of the central coastal range of Oregon, I heard many many owls, and never saw a one. I set up barn owl boxes in the barn eves one year, but I never could get any to move in there. I did see an evening grosbeak once from the hottub, which was cool. I also never saw a wood duck before I lived there, and one year a group of them spent all spring around the ranch. Very striking looking ducks. I have seen marbled murelets along the coast in Mendocino Co. But I was with a group of dedicated birders there and they pointed them out to me. Otherwise I would have never spotted or ID'd them.

The TV show, Oregon Field Guide had a segment on them. Someone had finally filmed the birds in trees. It wasn't too exciting. I seem to recall that they look like basic birds.;)

Now, out in the woods today, we (loggers and I) had a discussion about owls. Whether it was barred owls or bard owls that were killing off the spotted owls. We decided that bard owls would only be found around Ashland, OR for the Shakespearian stuff, so it must be the barred owls that were killing the spotted owls. However, I think the barred owls might better be called striped owls because they also can be confused with barn owls, which is how this conversation got started. I think everybody is getting hard of hearing. Hearing aid stocks should be a good investment.

You know I was told by a biologist once that the abaundance of great horned owls in our area was a reason that the spotted owls were not too common here...they eat them. The Columbia Gorge area is FULL of great horned owls, lost a few cats as a kid. My parent's property is filthy with great horned owl pairs and nests. They are a pretty cool bird really.

Last edited:
You know I was told by a biologist once that the abaundance of great horned owls in our area was a reason that the spotted owls were not too common here...they eat them. The Columbia Gorge area is FULL of great horned owls, lost a few cats as a kid. My parent's property is filthy with great horned owl pairs and nests. They are a pretty cool bird really.

seen a few great horned owls at two places where i cut firewood, damn big wingspan

Gologit, I hear you on the fishing v. logging. Two seasons ago I sold 400 crab pots to make shovel payments. I thought logging was better than crabbing, and I was right....until this Nov. when they stopped buying logs.

Those old Tacoma boats were a pretty good design. I know of a couple that are still floating, The Albatross, and the Lone Eagle.

Sidenote. I just got a job milling cedar for a sail boat reconstruction. Meeting the shipwright Monday to go over the specs. I guess its some famous old boat, they're forming some kind of group, non profit, save the boat thing. I think they have a web site.

They want to take pics of me and the miller making boards. That will be classic. I'll post a link when I find out the url.

Not to change the subject but Im watching the Discovery channel right now. They are making it look like you PNWers will be out of a job soon with those "supertrees on those tree farms. :confused:

Not watching it, but what those farms that produce fast growing trees cannot replicate is ring count.

don't "supertrees" make for bad lumber?

Yea.. . .they have thicker annual rings especially in the early wood. they arent even that good for paper for the same reason. the late wood is what gives it strength. only good for you low grade paper pulp.

Latest posts

Back