Disposing of cut wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agapoula19

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How do you guys get rid of cut branches? Burning them? Dumpster? Looking to see if there is a method I haven't thought about

I always burn my branches I know some guys who bury them for some reason probably not what you wanna do how big are these branches?

Feels good on a late winter evening as well. I actually bring junk wood ( old 2x4s, pallets, and brush) home with me to burn on my pit .

Wow, you're definitely THE Mad Professor! :)
A little one 3/4 burnt up, but by the road, and someone called the FD. Fire chiefs house is just across the road, he laughed, I went to school with him.

bonfire 5 22.jpg

I've had them burn for days, and keep on adding more. Best done with snow on the ground.

A few times I invited friends over for the evening. Raked out some coals and cooked roasts and potatoes/sweet potatoes. BYOB

A little one 3/4 burnt up, but by the road, and someone called the FD. Fire chiefs house is just across the road, he laughed, I went to school with him.

View attachment 1156130

I've had them burn for days, and keep on adding more. Best done with snow on the ground.

A few times I invited friends over for the evening. Raked out some coals and cooked roasts and potatoes/sweet potatoes. BYOB
Do you let the wood sit outside for a while to dry up?

Do you let the wood sit outside for a while to dry up?

Sometimes. I've got a HUGE pile now already from last year, with full pulls of whole brush piles with the tractor/chains, all around it. I put a 16' choker chain on the ground then pile the branches on that, when pile is pretty big I hook it up and pull it away, the whole pile.

Sometimes a bunch of rabbits in the pile by then. If before end of the season, had friends over with shotguns and beagles.

I'll drag this years messes down to the pile and add that on after it burns down. It's too big to throw more on top, and no large equipment to do so.

Hoping for some snow left on the ground......we might call it......a national holiday and celebration!

1 greta tire.png

Sometimes. I've got a HUGE pile now already from last year, with full pulls of whole brush piles with the tractor/chains, all around it. I put a 16' choker chain on the ground then pile the branches on that, when pile is pretty big I hook it up and pull it away, the whole pile.

Sometimes a bunch of rabbits in the pile by then. If before end of the season, had friends over with shotguns and beagles.

I'll drag this years messes down to the pile and add that on after it burns down. It's too big to throw more on top, and no large equipment to do so.

Hoping for some snow left on the ground......we might call it......a national holiday and celebration!

View attachment 1156137
How dare you!!!!!!!!!

Knock ‘em down …..
IMG_0708.jpeg

Load ‘em up and burn them. We hauled 35 loads like these today and have another 20ish to do tomorrow with 20ish in the pile already from cutting the tops and brush off the trees. It’s going to be a heck of a bonfire this fall once it’s dried out !!
IMG_0709.jpeg

Stumps will get pushed in a BIG hole and buried somewhere we don’t need to be.
IMG_0711.jpeg

Knock ‘em down …..
Load ‘em up and burn them. We hauled 35 loads like these today and have another 20ish to do tomorrow with 20ish in the pile already from cutting the tops and brush off the trees. It’s going to be a heck of a bonfire this fall once it’s dried out !!
Stumps will get pushed in a BIG hole and buried somewhere we don’t need to be.

Get some pictures of that one! I wish I had your equipment, could clean up most of my place in one day! I'm only working on 40 acres.

Get some pictures of that one! I wish I had your equipment, could clean up most of my place in one day! I'm only working on 40 acres.
If we were closer I’d love to come help with that !! Between a neighbor and I we’ll clean off about a mile of fence lines a year. This one was a much larger project than most. I’m quite excited to burn this crap this fall. I got a winters worth of wood out of this 1/4 mile line. A couple 48” cottonwoods and a few 28”+ Ash made for some fun cutting !! This one made my Cat 330 pause for a few minutes while I dug it out.
IMG_0710.jpeg

Anything too small to use for firewood (<2") I just put back into the woods. They will rot soon enough.

I use my cut-off saw down to about an inch. (Hey, that's firewood too)
Chip into the compost pile and burn the rest.

Mike

I sort that out sometimes as kindling. Usually just leave a pile of limbs in the woods, come back when they are dry, and break them up manually to what fits the stove, and put in large totes.

Back