Disposing of cut wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use for kindling/fire starter pretty much everything from 1" to 2"" diameter.Anything less than 1" diameter is piled up for wildlife cover.Leaving smaller tops/branches in longer rough lengths in a pile,when I get back to them often weeks or months later I'll cut them in shorter lengths (12"-17") on sawbuck then they dry much faster,usually in a year,often less. I've discovered that its usually faster when cutting 1" to 2" diameter sticks using my DeWalt 18V battery saw,than even my gas powered Power Mac 6,or a similar gas model.Because of a much thinner saw kerf compared to even 1/4" chipper chain. DSC03721.JPGDSC03731.JPG

I use for kindling/fire starter pretty much everything from 1" to 2"" diameter.Anything less than 1" diameter is piled up for wildlife cover.Leaving smaller tops/branches in longer rough lengths in a pile,when I get back to them often weeks or months later I'll cut them in shorter lengths (12"-17") on sawbuck then they dry much faster,usually in a year,often less. I've discovered that its usually faster when cutting 1" to 2" diameter sticks using my DeWalt 18V battery saw,than even my gas powered Power Mac 6,or a similar gas model.Because of a much thinner saw kerf compared to even 1/4" chipper chain. View attachment 1156505View attachment 1156506

That looks like a pretty good way to keep the chipmunks out of your car's engine. They have their own luxury hotel right there in that pile :)

Anything larger than I can cut with loppers gets processed for firewood. The rest gets burned. I have alot of fruit trees so the small stuff gets used for cooking/smoking too.

I chip about 85% of my branches on site, anything that fits in the chipper goes in the chipper unless its straight logs that stack in the trailer nice, chips are free to dump most places, and for $100 a trailer load at the local mulch yard i can take logs and stumps, brush too but I chip all that

on large jobs, mainly land clearing I will burn on site, where I live its illegal to remove the green waste from the property to burn it

on really small jobs with only a few limbs I take a pickup and dump trailer, just throw a few limbs in and go

Maybe pile up by road and put a sign up saying "$10.00 a pick-up" load and maybe some one will steal the whole pile!

Maybe pile up by road and put a sign up saying "$10.00 a pick-up" load and maybe some one will steal the whole pile!
I mean, that would work, BUT, that too is illegal (atleast where im at)

I got yelled at once by the city grapple truck guys for leaving brush by the road, NEXT TO THE CHIPPER AS WE WERE CHIPPING IT...

I only cut up the big branches for firewood, and the smaller ones go to the dumpster. Oahu Tree Trimming cut the trees for my parents in Oahu recently and they even cut the small branches. Now my father uses them as kindling wood.

Back