dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, once I was able to pick myself off the floor from laughing at my dad for buying several of these quakes, GottaGetSaws, I've purchased two 4116's. Mm'd and ported both, gotta say wow I'm impressed. I even opened up his 4518.

when I first started this thread everyone laughed at me and said I was stupid for buying a piece of junk,,, seems everyone likes them,,, guess I need to buy another one just for chits and giggles

Sorry for asking these questions...I know the answers are probably somewhere in the previous 113 pages of this thread...just haven't stumbled upon the answers...but here we go

I believe the earthquakes are fake Redmax's - right?

What kind of cylinder porting? Open, closed or strato?

The bar mount...small husky?

Can they be changed over to a .325 rim sprocket and bar?

Has anybody killed one of these saws by useing the crap outta one yet?

Friend, I have tried. I gave one to the guy who absolutely runs his tools into the ground and back. No problems whatsoever. He has brought in a Stihl and Homelite for me to work on while the little Chinese saw runs like a top. His only complaint is that it should have a longer bar.

I also gave two to my dad. One in 38cc and one in 41cc. The oiler stopped working on the 41 so I've got it in the basement to repair. I have modified one with mild port work, opened the muffler and added a larger air filter to let it flow more. The little saw rips but has had zero problems. I hope you have good luck with yours also.

dd

when I first started this thread everyone laughed at me and said I was stupid for buying a piece of junk

Hold the phone there onefidddy. I didn't laugh. I had actually bought one before you but didn't bother to post about it. I found the same thing that you did - these little saws are well built but the muffler is terribly choked up. I didn't laugh. I sure did like reading all about the mods and I will admit it was because of this thread I bought eight more in various colors before my financial status became so bad.

So - Cheers to you for starting the thread!

And - if this thread is like the little Quakes, it may NEVER die!!!:chainsaw:

dd

Looks like mine will be here on Monday..... I already have big plans for mods on it. Just to see what happens ya know? I'll post pics when I get things rolling.

Sorry for asking these questions...I know the answers are probably somewhere in the previous 113 pages of this thread...just haven't stumbled upon the answers...but here we go

I believe the earthquakes are fake Redmax's - right?

What kind of cylinder porting? Open, closed or strato?

The bar mount...small husky?

Can they be changed over to a .325 rim sprocket and bar?

From what I gather
Redmax yes
Open ports
A041 poulan bar mount
And it's been discussed about the .325 but not sure if it's been done yet

Hold the phone there onefidddy. I didn't laugh. I had actually bought one before you but didn't bother to post about it. I found the same thing that you did - these little saws are well built but the muffler is terribly choked up. I didn't laugh. I sure did like reading all about the mods and I will admit it was because of this thread I bought eight more in various colors before my financial status became so bad.

So - Cheers to you for starting the thread!

And - if this thread is like the little Quakes, it may NEVER die!!!:chainsaw:

dd
I think you was the only one that didn't laugh,,,,, I got thrown under the bus several times,,, but all in all I think I got the respect up from a lot of people about these saws

So............ can we call them the Volkswagen (read old style bug ) of saws yet?,,,,,,,,,,, Funner than heck to play with, takes modifications like a duck to water, and leaves you with enough change for a happy meal after buying one ........

Last edited:
Just got the 4 I ordered in the mail today. Not packaged very well, but nothing was broken. All of them have the scrench, Oregon chain still in the bag, and yellow spacer where the bar mounts, 18" Oregon bar never mounted, and bar cover. One even still had the owners manual and the chain file. All of them have bar oil in the saw, and two have wear marks on the bottom from sitting at an idle, or attempts at starting.

Tomorrow and the weekend I plan on working on them. 2 of them for coworkers will get assembled, slot put in carb needles, and adjusted properly. My 2 will get a muffler mod at least, and possibly some more tinkering.

Having 4 boxes with chainsaws sitting on the porch was like an early xmas!

I think you was the only one that didn't laugh,,,,, I got thrown under the bus several times,,, but all in all I think I got the respect up from a lot of people about these saws

I don't have an endless budget for saw projects, so I have to be very careful how I spend what little I have. The 41cc and 38cc saws had a lot of bang for the buck. I learned more about modding and performance gains without spending a ton of money. These saws were a lot of fun.

If they threw you under the bus I was right there with ya. :rock:

Ok, I thought this site was down again, how strange. Won't pull up the site from my blackberry, but iPad pulls it right up, oh well.

So, my Earthquake arrived last week, cut in stock form, sounded really mentally and seemed choked down. (But still acceptable by all means)... So I yank the muffler, holy cow what a pos muffler!! I took a new stepped bit, or, variable bit, and drilled two holes as deep as the bit would go right on the face of the muffler, and boy did that saw come alive! No joke, this 45cc saw truly kicks some serious butt! I cut a ton of wood last weekend and it never missed a beat, and was great on fuel consumption, are these strato? (Oh yeah, getting all the metal out of the muffler before reinstall action was a chore)

So, I am so very happy with this saw and this site, and the OP for this thread! This site rocks!

Problem is, I'm ordering a second and possibly a third Quaker! Thanks so much, I am really quite pleased.

My "good" chain will arrive Saturday from amazon, but I have to say, the factory chain was quite impressive for a safety type chain.

I would highly, highly suggest this saw to anyone with one qualification- the saw wont scream w/o the muff job.

(I didn't have to touch any carb settings, just the muff mod, literally runs like the damn thing is fuel injected, LOL, I dig it!)

I did notice something with my Quaker. Every time I went to the shop it had moved to the other side. I immediately realized the other saws were picking on it so I removed all the stickers :) I think I am going to paint it orange now.
Best thing to do is get several more so the quake's got some backup in case some of those orange or yellow saws want to start somthing

Last edited:
Stupid/ silly question... Does anyone have any idea how much longer the EBay dude will have these ill' monsters? I want another but it will likely be after New Years. (If it were an Amazon purchase I would ask the guy, but it was EBay, and not my acct)

I gave my quake to my grandpa cause he liked it so much but would like another. I looked on ebay and only found ones for over $100. I don't know where you guys are look'n but i would buy one for $55 for sure. Especially if it's the 45cc one. Can someone provide a link?

I gave my quake to my grandpa cause he liked it so much but would like another. I looked on ebay and only found ones for over $100. I don't know where you guys are look'n but i would buy one for $55 for sure. Especially if it's the 45cc one. Can someone provide a link?
Go to moreoutdoor4u.com an be sure to use coupon code "ebay" the 41cc will be about $44 shipped, the 45cc is under $49 shipped.

Latest posts

Back