dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any of you guy's give a power comparison of the 45cc quake, to a different saw of the same or close CC saw. Dang it Im about to buy one thanks to you guys

I am wondering as well. Say like to a poulan 40 something cc, 350 husky, echo 450, , stihl 250, etc.

Over 200 psi stock is something to consider for those sort of cheap dineros.

Can any of you guy's give a power comparison of the 45cc quake, to a different saw of the same or close CC saw. Dang it Im about to buy one thanks to you guys

I'll try to answer that. I have an older 025 with the fully adjustable carb and a muffler mod. The Quake, bone stock, will not stay up with it. Close, but not quite. With the muffler mod on the Quake, 325 chain and a re-tune on the carb it will run with the 025 and maybe just a touch faster. The 025 is also running 325 chain.

I have a 46 cc Poulan. It's the 2800 model, back when Poulan was making real saws. The 2800 has a muffler mod and is running 325 chain. The Quake will not keep up with the 2800. It isn't a lot slower, but it's enough to be noticed. I only have one Wild Thing that will beat the Quake. That particular saw was a test project for MasterMind and I know it has to be running over 15,000 rpm. Wicked fast.

My Shinny 488 will be neck and neck with the modded Quake. The Shinny is bone stock, not so much as a muffler mod. It has the carb with no high side adjustment.

Also, keep in mind I haven't run more than 5 tanks through the Quake. It may get a bit faster when the rings seat and I figure out the best bar and chain combo. Maybe all my rambling will give you an idea about the saw. On a side note, NOTHING I have will oil as well as the 45 cc Quake does. Not even close.

dd

Ok, why did I blaaaaab on so much about this saw, now they are auction only apparently, has this happened before, because I want 5 or so, lifetime supply, and dammit I have..... -one-

Thanks to you clowns for going on and on about these saws for 3 years ;) and a recent rip to Menards where I looked one over I now have one of the 4116 saws on the way. It's going to reside at the farm. Can't tell you how many times I have needed a saw out there but didnt have one with me.

Thanks to you clowns for going on and on about these saws for 3 years ;) and a recent rip to Menards where I looked one over I now have one of the 4116 saws on the way. It's going to reside at the farm. Can't tell you how many times I have needed a saw out there but didnt have one with me.
You are welcome!

Last edited:
They probably se that they can get more from auctions. Or the supply is low. They still sell on website.

On another forum these were brought up when discussing Chinese saws in. Members there in the last 2 weeks I think members there have bought 20 or so.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok...which of the three saws are you guys having the best luck with ?

The 38cc, 41cc or 45cc ?

I hope I didn't screw up. I just ordered two of the 45cc models and meant to order the 41cc saws..oops.

Ok...which of the three saws are you guys having the best luck with ?

The 38cc, 41cc or 45cc ?

I hope I didn't screw up. I just ordered two of the 45cc models and meant to order the 41cc saws..oops.

I had so much success modding and experimenting with the 41 cc model I really didn't think the 45 cc would impress me much. There's less than a 10% increase in displacement.

Wrong! The 45 is quite a bit more powerful than the 41 and I think it's now my "go to" saw. Enjoy.

dd

I got the two I ordered today. Between them I got two files, one scrench, two chainsaws, two chains, and three bars. One saw is new, one has seen wood but looks great. These will go great with my 38cc. I will fire them up in a few days. It's supposed to get cold here.

"Go to "! WOW

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

I know. I have some really nice saws to choose from, look at the signature. Understand here - I'm no pro. I cut wood for my Dad's house as well as my own and sometimes join up with a buddy so we can sell a little wood for some extra cash. I don't cut every weekend and I don't have to depend on my saws for a living. If I'm going to cut some rounds from a 24" diameter log I'll reach for the 365 Husky or the Makita. If I want to feel a little vintage I'll run the 2800. That is a solid, smooth saw; a real pleasure to run. The Shinny is also a comfortable and smooth saw. BUT - if I want light weight, good A/V and enough engine to let the saw feed itself without bogging - I'm reaching for that 45 cc.

That opinion may change as I get more trigger time. I had the opportunity to run a few more tanks through it and I've decided it is small enough to be easy on my back and big enough to do 90% of my cutting. Now, to be honest, I wouldn't pay the $189 retail price for that saw. It's too much of a dog out of the box and I'd be better off with my 2800 or Shinny. But for less than $50 and the investment of some used parts I'm extremely pleased with it. The only mods so far are a used .325 sprocket, used bar, used chains, used chain brake flag and some muffler screen. Well, I did add that little black plastic cover to the on/off switch for some "bling". I guess add another 8 or 9 cents for that...

I have a few saws too but I want a few of these to not only use, but to learn on. I want to learn to do a decent muffler mod and tune carbs.. I'm not going to practice with my new 261, or my 024, 017 or dad's Husky 55..

Not only that but leaving a good saw in a shed in the woods while we're gone for weeks at a time isn't a great idea.. There are time the local kids/thieves break into weekend places...

These saws just might be the ticket for both purposes.. :rock:

Latest posts

Back