dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine
ZvwB0NR.jpg

Oh I agree, with the shoulder around the screws it makes it easier to hang that tool on the adjuster and run the saw etc. The problem is keeping track of the darn things for what they cost. If I had the ability to manufacture those things and sell 'em on the cheap (like $2.50 each cheap) I think there's no shortage of buyer's.
I dropped the splined tool I bought for Poulans in the woods, but fortunately was able to find it again. It got sprayed safety orange as soon as I got back to the barn!

I dropped the splined tool I bought for Poulans in the woods, but fortunately was able to find it again. It got sprayed safety orange as soon as I got back to the barn!

I spray paint most tools with what I call ******* orange. So I can spot my tools in either of my brothers toolboxes and say "is that my tool *******?" (Probably get banned for that). Lol.

I think we can all agree that Double D's are better.

Pics?

I spray paint most tools with what I call ******* orange. So I can spot my tools in either of my brothers toolboxes and say "is that my tool *******?" (Probably get banned for that). Lol.

Nope, if the bad word filter does it's job, I ain't gotta do mine. I hate working.

Revived the fleabay dual port muffler today. It is complete with bolts and a couple gaskets. No cat, just a can with three pretty generous inlet holes, a large baffle plate and two exit holes. Intuition was it would flow well enough as is so thats how I installed it. Only (slight) defect is the gaskets are ever so slightly smaller than the port so I opened up one prior to installation. Saw runs great with it installed, acted not one bit like it was choked up and is not insanely noisy. Sounds good and performs good. I think you will like them as-is. I give the factory dual port muff a thumbs up! Buy one if you havent already spent 4 hours modding the original.

Holes in the baffle are generous
20ihoif.jpg

Dual exits, sorry for the crappy pic.
21n0fg7.jpg

Pine tree stamped in the plate is a nice touch kinda made it look Stihlvarna like
2ely0zs.jpg

And the final product. Kinda reminded me of when I put a set of side pipes on my 68 Camero way back when.
144brl4.jpg

Oh I agree, with the shoulder around the screws it makes it easier to hang that tool on the adjuster and run the saw etc. The problem is keeping track of the darn things for what they cost. If I had the ability to manufacture those things and sell 'em on the cheap (like $2.50 each cheap) I think there's no shortage of buyer's.

I like the "special" tools too because they stay on the screw head. I slotted the screws on my leaf blower and it works, but tough to get the screwdriver to stay in the slot.
Just wondering, will the single D tool work on the DD screw heads, or are they different diameters? Also why hasn't some on here made a slotted screwdriver with a shoulder around it? I'd sure buy one of those.

Have you checked if the brake flags would swap from quake to the CMT 5200 just to mix up the colors a little

Im pretty sure they all swap out (starting with the 45cc Quake and up. Below 45, is different). My 45cc Blue Max was the same saw as the 45cc Quake.

And if you look at parts online, they list most parts fitting the 45cc, 52cc, and 58cc model. They make a 58cc block that you can put in the 45cc frame, or they sell the 58cc top end kit and longer rod/crank. But then you have to spilt the cases and you only save a fee bucks.

Glad to hear the dual port I ordered has NO Cat! It should arrive tomorrow. My saw is still in pieces, but should be together shortly. Had a few others saws that took priority.

Why can't you just drill through the back opening through the cat all the way but not through the front cover, then widen or drill another hole in the front?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

I see what your saying (I think). Don't think it will work though. Drilling through the back opening won't penetrate the cat. Opening is at the top, cats at the bottom (from all the pics I've found). I hope to get to mine tomorrow. Most likely use Chris's suggestion. I like the clean stock look, and the simplicity is a bonus.

Chris, I was wondering how hard it was to clean out all the debris? After drilling, you mention using a die grinder. Any tips? The only thing that has me considering splitting the muffler is the possibility of stray debris dislodging after the gut job.

I see what your saying (I think). Don't think it will work though. Drilling through the back opening won't penetrate the cat. Opening is at the top, cats at the bottom (from all the pics I've found). I hope to get to mine tomorrow. Most likely use Chris's suggestion. I like the clean stock look, and the simplicity is a bonus.

Chris, I was wondering how hard it was to clean out all the debris? After drilling, you mention using a die grinder. Any tips? The only thing that has me considering splitting the muffler is the possibility of stray debris dislodging after the gut job.
I just use brake cleaner and compressed air - that and carefully inspecting for and removing partially attached chips from the drilling and grinding.

Ah, bud has the 45cc reconditioned Blue Max from one of those tent sales. Didn't know it was the same as the 45cc Quakes.

I was gonna buy the 45cc Quake to see how it compared, guess it would have been about the same...

Im pretty sure they all swap out (starting with the 45cc Quake and up. Below 45, is different). My 45cc Blue Max was the same saw as the 45cc Quake.

And if you look at parts online, they list most parts fitting the 45cc, 52cc, and 58cc model. They make a 58cc block that you can put in the 45cc frame, or they sell the 58cc top end kit and longer rod/crank. But then you have to spilt the cases and you only save a fee bucks.

Glad to hear the dual port I ordered has NO Cat! It should arrive tomorrow. My saw is still in pieces, but should be together shortly. Had a few others saws that took priority.

Mind posting where your finding the block? Haven't stumbled across those.

hay guys. check out these earthquake look alikes i found right near me. these are 52cc though. they are definitely chinese but with a different designation then earthquake. guys wants just over $100 each. thinking about it. they look very similar aye.

Yep. I am sure they found all these posts on the net. I bet their saws were flying off the shelves recently.

Cause they started going to all auctions and no more of the cheap buy it now's and they also eventually pulled the as is saws off site.

Latest posts

Back