dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, did some more cutting with the Quake today, I've got about 2 tanks through this thing now and still running good.

Buried it in some 16" hickory and it cut it okay. No speed demon of course, but was still surprised that it seemed to handle it. Got it in some petrified smaller locust and had the same success with it as with everything else.

Still too rich, am gonna have to get a tach to tune it though, just too choked up and stuff to really tell if its four-stroking or not. I can hear it when I let up in the cut, but its still not really cleaning up well in the cut, however its not making the same four-stroking noise. Really hard to tune by ear for some reason. (good excuse to buy a tach I suppose, a $90 tach to tune a $35 saw.. :) )

Starts with a few pulls cold, still hangs up when pulling it, have to wrap the handle with a rag to get it started. It starts easily when warm though in one or two pulls.

Anyway, am really liking this little saw, works well for what it is and certainly with what I've got in it. As said, it will be a perfect ATV or limbing saw. Trying really hard to not buy another one.

Now have to make up something to carry it around on the four-wheeler...

Last edited:
Well, did some more cutting with the Quake today, I've got about 2 tanks through this thing now and still running good.

Buried it in some 16" hickory and it cut it okay. No speed demon of course, but was still surprised that it seemed to handle it. Got it in some petrified smaller locust and had the same success with it as with everything else.

Still too rich, am gonna have to get a tach to tune it though, just too choked up and stuff to really tell if its four-stroking or not. I can hear it when I let up in the cut, but its still not really cleaning up well in the cut, however its not making the same four-stroking noise. Really hard to tune by ear for some reason. (good excuse to buy a tach I suppose, a $90 tach to tune a $35 saw.. :) )

Starts with a few pulls cold, still hangs up when pulling it, have to wrap the handle with a rag to get it started. It starts easily when warm though in one or two pulls.

Anyway, am really liking this little saw, works well for what it is and certainly with what I've got in it. Will be a perfect ATV or limbing saw. Trying really hard to not buy another one.

Now have to make up something to carry it around on the four-wheeler...

Good to hear this thing can hadle locust....that is some hard a** wood! And BTW a 90 tach works as an investment....i got a 13.00 one that you have to wrap the wire around...refresh is slow so it shows what my saws are made of....or not made of:bomb:

Open up that puppy (muffler) the same size as the inlet :msp_wink:

I still need my stickers :)

Where are those stickers coming from? Super happy lucky one best peoples manufacturing company, LLC?

adjustable oiler...on a $35 saw...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Gotta love that...my 180.00 ms170 and 400.00 ms290 dont have that:hmm3grin2orange: neither does my regular retail 279 but purchased for 165 husky 435...my little dolmar does though!

Gotta love that...my 180.00 ms170 and 400.00 ms290 dont have that:hmm3grin2orange: neither does my regular retail 279 but purchased for 165 husky 435...my little dolmar does though!

My $379 MS290 had an adjustable oiler. Has that feature been discontinued?

How many here won an auction today for under $35? I came in at $32.10, who did better?

I got ripped for $40 lol. Bought three of them, wont buy anymore til I get a couple sold. You just cant beat the price, I think they are a a value even at $100. Maybe I got a good batch, but the first one I opened up looked as new. Second one looks good, and havent opened up the third. I have one sold, I should probably get back on there and buy a couple more.

Guys, when molding the muffler you want to pull that baffle right out, drilling holes in it will help but you are still fighting internal turbulence and have restricted flow.

Guys, when molding the muffler you want to pull that baffle right out, drilling holes in it will help but you are still fighting internal turbulence and have restricted flow.

When opening up the crimp seam, will a mapp gas soldering torch work to heat it? I have not done this yet and don't have proper torches. I just drilled from the cylinder side port straight through the cat and opened up the outer shell with a new louver. If mapp will heat it enough to uncrimp the seam I want to tear out all the guts.
Thanks,
Nick.

Darn, I overpaid a couple days ago at $32.77. Maybe that just means that mine is 67 cents better. :msp_tongue:

You're probably the guy who beat me a couple days ago. I just couldn't see running the bid up yet on a saw I don't trust yet, and that there are 37 others from the same seller. The seller must really want to broom them, because if he listed 4 or 5 per week I bet he'd double his money. I hope this turns out better than my Super2 adventure...

Just Placed my order for 1 Saw $35

I just placed my order.

Going to do a side by side comparison test against my Echo CS-352 34CC - I really like this Echo.

Proper fuel, Proper Storage, maintain a sharp chain - Earthquake might last 5 years. That would be pretty neat.

When opening up the crimp seam, will a mapp gas soldering torch work to heat it? I have not done this yet and don't have proper torches. I just drilled from the cylinder side port straight through the cat and opened up the outer shell with a new louver. If mapp will heat it enough to uncrimp the seam I want to tear out all the guts.
Thanks,
Nick.

I gutted mine thru the hole using long reach needle nose pliers, just folded it in two and pulled it out.

Proper fuel, Proper Storage, maintain a sharp chain - Earthquake might last 5 years.

I am interested to see how long these saws last. It is one thing to make a product that looks like a more expensive one. It's often the things we can't 'see' make a big difference: alloys used; tolerances; consistency/variability; availability of parts & support; etc.

It will be more meaningful to hear from guys who understand saws and run them side-by-side with 'name brand' saws, rather than from a random guy with no experience or who might ruin a new pro saw.

Best of luck to you guys, and keep us posted.

Philbert

Last edited:
Why you guys have your needle nose pliers out, grab a short length of brake line and thin it a bit on a grinder then put one fork of the pliers in it and squeeze it in a vise...hmmm shaped like a "D" now you have the tool to adjust the carb...

Looks like the difference is free shipping on the $35 one.

I see that now. Still the same ads with wrong pics. So now I have to wonder whats the difference in the 35 free shipping saw and the 39.97 saw. Wouldnt mind trying one of these but my luck might be like others have expressed. I will get the one missing parts and not running lol.

Ive got other saws I need parts for so I cant gamble and buy three or four. Then again, if it runs, Im going to try to run it in the ground for $35 :hmm3grin2orange: Decisions, decisions.

I see that now. Still the same ads with wrong pics. So now I have to wonder whats the difference in the 35 free shipping saw and the 39.97 saw. Wouldnt mind trying one of these but my luck might be like others have expressed. I will get the one missing parts and not running lol.

Ive got other saws I need parts for so I cant gamble and buy three or four. Then again, if it runs, Im going to try to run it in the ground for $35 :hmm3grin2orange: Decisions, decisions.

All of them so far have ran just fine and they have come complete also...pull that trigger!:hmm3grin2orange:

All of them so far have ran just fine and they have come complete also...pull that trigger!:hmm3grin2orange:

Will probably do so but I will not custom paint it. I only custom paint my Lawn Mowers :laugh: I did notice the available quantity doubled this morning, he must be getting them in by the truck load as fast as he sells them.

Back