dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok now I want to mess with my neighbors quake saw. I think it's the 45cc and runs ok stock keeps up with my 10 yr old sons crapsman 36cc mm

I muffler modded my 45 but nothing else. It runs "ok", At some point I may give the ports a massage and eliminate the base gasket. After locking up my 38, I switched to the 45 and noticed it bogging in the cut so I richened it up a bit while cutting and made it much better. It still bogs some if pushed hard but it's better. I paid nearly double for a big box store homelite more than 10 years ago than I did for 2quakes shipped and I'd rather use the quakes, the 38 in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update on the fuel grommet. As others suggested it did swell back up and seal once I left some gas in it for a while.

Just to further revive this wonderful thread.

2 points...

Well, first is a question... I know popular thought is 38cc is preferred over 45ccmmm for size, weight, g3800 copy, etc. But, what about 38cc to 41cc? Anybody have both and prefer one over over other? Both seem to be exact designs. Both seen to be identical without stickers... Is it possible, only real difference is bar/chain size???

Point 2... These are back on eBay... Not dirt cheap, but surely not full price again. Just search "earthquake chainsaw"... 38cc is $74.99 and $75... 41cc is $75 and $85..

Seller is: moreoutdoor4usales

Just to further revive this wonderful thread.

2 points...

Well, first is a question... I know popular thought is 38cc is preferred over 45ccmmm for size, weight, g3800 copy, etc. But, what about 38cc to 41cc? Anybody have both and prefer one over over other? Both seem to be exact designs. Both seen to be identical without stickers... Is it possible, only real difference is bar/chain size???

Point 2... These are back on eBay... Not dirt cheap, but surely not full price again. Just search "earthquake chainsaw"... 38cc is $74.99 and $75... 41cc is $75 and $85..

Seller is: moreoutdoor4usales
I'd rather have the 41cc as it's otherwise the same design as the 38, but they were more expensive. If you are considering an eBay Earthquake look at the Ryobi RY3716 too.

it's hard to pay anything more then $1 a cc after the first round of earthquake deals. i think i paid $40 exactly for my 3816 shipped lol

I missed out on those deals though westcoaster90.
Smh. Day late, dollar short...

Chris, you've ran both I'm sure. Which do you prefer? Ryobi 3716 or earthquake 38/41?

My summers are loaded, but I have an ry3714 (same as 3716 I believe, just smaller bar). But this winter I plan to really dig into it. But I was debating buying one of those 41cc earthquakes too. We'll see.

My 3814 Quake is still going. It's still in the grass rig. Gets used regularly for cutting up downed branches etc. it's never been an exciting performer, but it does pull a chain, sling oil and runs smoother than a wild thing. Replacing the factory chain and opening the muffler a bit was the only thing it needed for several years of light/medium duty.

If mine died today $75 would seem fine for a replacement.

I missed out on those deals though westcoaster90.
Smh. Day late, dollar short...

Chris, you've ran both I'm sure. Which do you prefer? Ryobi 3716 or earthquake 38/41?

My summers are loaded, but I have an ry3714 (same as 3716 I believe, just smaller bar). But this winter I plan to really dig into it. But I was debating buying one of those 41cc earthquakes too. We'll see.
Oh, I haven't run an RY37xx - I did see some pictures of one someone had taken apart, and it's clearly the old RY10532/GZ400 chassis with a non-strato engine & cat, plus a spacer intake block to eliminate the air valve. Given that I have the Earthquake CS3816, a Ryobi RY10532, a Craftsman yellow GZ4000 and a ported Jenn Feng GZ4000 clone, I figured I just didn't need another in that class.

I'm hoping someday someone will post pictures of the RY37xx cylinder, as I'd like to see if the porting & casting are the same as the Earthquake.

I really like my Earthquake - it's dead solid reliable, light and fast, but then it's gone through 4 rounds of porting and is one of my most modified saws. I use it regularly. Still, realistically the 40cc RY10432 is basically the same chassis but is faster, and that has only a muffler mod and a base gasket removal. If you look at the cylinder and the porting on the strato GZ400/4000 engine you'll see what advantages it has over the older G3800 design.

Here[Europe] we have 2 models: the 38 cc has a strato cylinder[39,5 mm diameter] and a classic 2 rings piston[longer than normal pistons. The 40 cc cylinder and piston are clones of the Ryobi strato. Both models are built with spring AV system,the cylinder cap one piece and small air filter like Zenoah 3000[3200?].Both have blanked strato intakes.

The 41 cc clones are built on a G 3800 chassis with a 40,5 mm 2 ring piston and clasic cylinder,normal intake/carb/air filter. And off course the 37 cc clones built exactly like the Eartkuaqes: modified transfers and cat muflers. Piston 39mm,1 ring. And the ocasional mutt: a 39 mm 2 rings piston,normal cylinder on a strange chassis[ easy start recoil copied after the Redmax one and the top plastics shaped to accept the strato intake of a GZ 400].

Ok ok ok... Who bought all the $75 earthquake 41cc saws before Friday/payday?! Lol jk...

Yup.....
IMG_0883_zpsofd8v3ar.jpg

It's quieter than the modified OEM muffler ;)

At first, I was like, but why.... Then I kept looking at it... And within about 5 seconds, it turned to questioning myself.. But why the hell not?! Lol. Badass. Vids of it running? Lol.

Back