dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be. Maybe they just sub each piece of ope to different Manufacturers and put the "Ryobi" on it....and MTD got the trimmer:dunno:

Alright, I did a little research and apparently MTD sold Ryobi power tools to TTI (TechTronic Industries) in 2004. TTI owns Homelite, Ryobi, Milwaukee, AEG, Hoover and Dirt Devil. I was incorrect as it doesnt seem that there is any link between MTD and Homelite other than MTD once owning Ryobi OPE. There is a strong link now between Homelite and Ryobi since they have the same parent company.

What is eluding me is the relationship between Redmax and Ryobi. Maybe it was just that redmax was struggling a bit and was willing to trade brand identity for distribution. That could explain why there are so many Redmax clones sold through legitimate retail channels. Redmax probably sold or licensed their technology to anyone who would have it. I imagine that changed when Husky acquired Redmax. If that is the case it was a shrewd move. Sell a solid but dated design and maintain your newer (strato) technology for sale to a big spender.

Then there is the question of the relationship between vacuum cleaners and chainsaws. That one we may never know.

Without question Home Depot does not own Ryobi or any other power tool manufacturer.

what i can't figure out is this,,,, if the earthquakes are such a piece of junk why has there been so much wood been cut with one since i started this thread with no problems,,,,, something to think about:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:,, i think i will go fix some breakfast and then take a healthy dump and ponder over this question

oh yea,,, guess alot of people must be interested in this thread,, look at this

Replies: 1,815
Views: 52,095

:D:D:D:D:D

oh yea,,, guess alot of people must be interested in this thread,, look at this

Replies: 1,815
Views: 52,095

:D:D:D:D:D

Because it's like looking at an accident,,glad it happened to somebody else !
but still gotta look.

well crap,,,, i need to buy a few more now if the prices ever come down,,, i just sold my last one,,, cut a lot of wood with it and still sold it for a profit

so you have no more earthquakes scott? you know what to do. how are we supposed to take you seriously when you don't update your sig :msp_sneaky:. another question. what about the earthquake and wild thing race with matt. i'm thinking you took a little scare to that race so sold all your quakes in order to not participate. shame. i don't blame you though that wild thing sure is scary :D you'd think an earthquake would be more scary but there's just something about the green and purple with a pipe on it :)

well crap,,,, i need to buy a few more now if the prices ever come down,,, i just sold my last one,,, cut a lot of wood with it and still sold it for a profit

I still have two still in the boxes they came in before the prices went up :msp_smile:

What was that TV show called "Let's Make a Deal" :jester:

Alright, I did a little research and apparently MTD sold Ryobi power tools to TTI (TechTronic Industries) in 2004. TTI owns Homelite, Ryobi, Milwaukee, AEG, Hoover and Dirt Devil. I was incorrect as it doesnt seem that there is any link between MTD and Homelite other than MTD once owning Ryobi OPE. There is a strong link now between Homelite and Ryobi since they have the same parent company.

What is eluding me is the relationship between Redmax and Ryobi. Maybe it was just that redmax was struggling a bit and was willing to trade brand identity for distribution. That could explain why there are so many Redmax clones sold through legitimate retail channels. Redmax probably sold or licensed their technology to anyone who would have it. I imagine that changed when Husky acquired Redmax. If that is the case it was a shrewd move. Sell a solid but dated design and maintain your newer (strato) technology for sale to a big spender.

Then there is the question of the relationship between vacuum cleaners and chainsaws. That one we may never know.

Without question Home Depot does not own Ryobi or any other power tool manufacturer.

It's all tough to keep sorted out. The Ryobi and MTD trimmers are still the same at the box store....maybe Ryobi TTI makes them for MTD?......or they both sub out to the same chinese factory? It makes finding parts interesting, and hard to know what is a decent value under one label. Thanks for the research.

For what it's worth, my Ryobi trimmer, saw and Bolens cultivator give me no more problems than my Stihl Trimmer, Backpack Blower, Saws and Echo blower....just not as strong.

so you have no more earthquakes scott? you know what to do. how are we supposed to take you seriously when you don't update your sig :msp_sneaky:. another question. what about the earthquake and wild thing race with matt. i'm thinking you took a little scare to that race so sold all your quakes in order to not participate. shame. i don't blame you though that wild thing sure is scary :D you'd think an earthquake would be more scary but there's just something about the green and purple with a pipe on it :)

the guy was suppose to be here this morn and never showed so i guess it stays now:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Bought it, promoted it, and sold it before the warranty ran out?

Philbert

Classic used car salesman trick. We should have seen it sooner. D'oh!:bang:

I don't feel bad now I just realized there are alot of midgets around :msp_ohmy:

Some of us more of the "mental midget" variety. Speaking only for myself. Sort of. :msp_unsure:

:bang::bang::bang: a customer come by a while ago,, he knew i had been selling saws,, his eyes count that little earthquake with the 12" b/c and a 50.00 bill came out of his pocket,, i was thinking do i really want to sell it,,, hey,,, money talks and bs walks,,, and he had the money so out the freaking door it went,,, but i have a few other saws lined up for in the morn,, not to bad,, paid 36 for it,, topped a few dozen trees and got 50 for it,, i think i did ok,,, the only bad thing i was in love with that little saw,,, but the 50 felt better in my pocket too:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: and no i am not out of the build off

Scott???? How did you know I am the shortest guy in my family??? A the other guys are over 6 foot, me Im only 5'10''. But don't worry they all only run Stihl's, me I know swedish girls are hotter.

Now, whats this I hear your all out of quakes?? DUDE! WTF?!? You yourself sent me the rest the parts to get the Poulan running?? Now what the FUDGE man? I was gonna start "building" a mean chain for it, be sure to stack the cards in my favor, you know wicked saw, wicked chain, softest wood I could find. Make it look like a contender, now you gotta go and sell the competition:msp_sneaky:

Scott???? How did you know I am the shortest guy in my family??? A the other guys are over 6 foot, me Im only 5'10''. But don't worry they all only run Stihl's, me I know swedish girls are hotter.

Now, whats this I hear your all out of quakes?? DUDE! WTF?!? You yourself sent me the rest the parts to get the Poulan running?? Now what the FUDGE man? I was gonna start "building" a mean chain for it, be sure to stack the cards in my favor, you know wicked saw, wicked chain, softest wood I could find. Make it look like a contender, now you gotta go and sell the competition:msp_sneaky:

now don't get your panties in a bunch :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:,, i have something else lined up,, by tomorrow afternoon i will have another saw torn down on the bench and ready to build,, i already have a 8" dia rotted pine log:D:D

Finally got around to doing the muffler mod on the quake! I think I opened it up plenty wide. Should run a lot better, and be able to hear it four stroking now.
attachment.php

This is the Catalytic Converter material that comes out of it. It is magnetic, not sure what it is made of. I know the cats out of cars are worth a lot of cash, anyone have a clue if this would be too?
attachment.php

Also, think I found the problem I was having with adjusting the carb.
attachment.php
Whoever guessed an air leak was the problem, you deserve a beer. :cheers: I took the carb apart, and cleaned it all out with carb cleaner anyway just in case. Got it all back together, but it was too dark to run it and try to adjust the carb. These things really are a pain to adjust with the recoil handle in the way.

Back