dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lost compression

I just ported my quake again raising the exhaust and lowering the intake this time. After I was done I tested comp only 75 what happened?

Doesn't STIHL have full chisel 3/8 Low Profile ('Picco') chain you could run? STIHL PICCO

I used to think that swapping sprockets was a simple thing. Have been surprised how many differences there are between different spur sprockets especially, and how many saws/pitch combinations the Oregon product selector comes up empty for. I wonder how many of these 'blank spaces' are due to the lack of physical size matches, or if some are due to manufacturers specs/recommendations, lack of a simple feature (e.g. a notch to drive an oil pump gear), etc.

Philbert

Thanks for the link! I had no idea such a chain existed. I'll be looking for that tomorrow.

i can't freaking believe it,,,, a regular customer of mine called me tonight and wanted another earthquake,, he bought one about 3 weeks from me,, he said he likes it so much he wanted another one

Two Earthquakes will be liberated in Minnesota tomorrow.

Time to do a little cutting and brushing on the deer hunting land.

Have got to get it done before the snow melts.

Seems like the damn deer ticks are out as soon as the snow is gone.....

Hoping for 30 degrees and sunny........:msp_rolleyes:

you raised the exhaust port.....unless you milled the cylinder base the same amount you will lose compression Mill the bottom of the cylinder and check the squish....might want to raise the transfers the same amount you raised the exhaust and might have to mill the top of the piston ....on the other hand perhaps you just broke the ring putting it back together :)

If you mill the cylinder base and then the top of the piston where's the gain?

it will lower the top of the exhaust port alowing the piston to compress the mixture before pushing it out. The piston only needs to me milled if it doesn't have enough squish area.
On the other hand maybe the ring is just broke....the man raised the exhaust port and lost compression...it had to go somewhere...

For a throw away saw, it sure has been a great teaching tool for me. I've gotten more radical with these little saws than anything else I've worked on. I have certainly learned a few things along the way and gotten brave enough to try some new stuff.

I blame Scott.

Yup, now that I have the degree wheel I want to check out the timing on mine. It's possible the jug may come off for some additional grinding!

For a throw away saw, it sure has been a great teaching tool for me. I've gotten more radical with these little saws than anything else I've worked on. I have certainly learned a few things along the way and gotten brave enough to try some new stuff.

I blame Scott.

o8 is EVIL !!!!!!

My nephew and myself have used the HUSKYQUAKE alot the last couple days on some Alder trees and it didn't miss a beat

Like I've been talking in other threads I'm now using VP Racing fuel and that made a difference with the HUSKYQUAKE the racing fuel has a higher octane

View attachment 282545Used the Quake today to clear some deer hunting land. Used the opportunity to teach two of my sons some how to's of running a chain saw.

Brought home a lot of firewood for my suburban back yard bonfires.

Went through 3 tanks of fuel.

May slow down the bar oiler as the bar oil runs out before the gas tank is dry.

Saw idles good.

High speed the saw stumbled a bit and took a few cycles before it hit a good clean high RPM.

What do you think.....make the high setting a bit fatter?

All in all it as a good day. Sunny and 35 F in Central Minnesota.:msp_thumbsup:

View attachment 282541View attachment 282542View attachment 282543

View attachment 282545Used the Quake today to clear some deer hunting land. Used the opportunity to teach two of my sons some how to's of running a chain saw.

Saw idles good.

High speed the saw stumbled a bit and took a few cycles before it hit a good clean high RPM.

Sounds like a GREAT day! :msp_thumbup:

Saw idles good.

I'm glad the saw worked well, but to heck with that - sounds like a great day with the kids. Gotta enjoy whatever moments like that you can!

Saw idles good.

that's awsome! now after the weekend when the teacher asks the kids in the class what they did this weekend, after all the other kids tell wild stories of video games, he'll be the one with the coolest story.:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back