dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the plastics were suspect on mine till I realized someone tightened the fastners with the top cover not properly aligned (mine had tiny notches to align) The chain brake can be reinforced by routing out and moulding in a strip of metal(plan on doing this next) finally, carb adjustments are faster if you made a "D" tool out of a piece of brake line, you can even leave it on for adjustments "in the cut"

If you do that reinforcement, would you post a picture of it? I'm curious to see exactly what you have in mind. TIA

dd

If you do that reinforcement, would you post a picture of it? I'm curious to see exactly what you have in mind. TIA

dd

Will post up pics when I do it, was waiting for the right cutoff piece of steel to come along. Just got done making a HD plate bracket for the H2 after removing the ugly tire carrier and might have what I need. My remaining thinking on the chain brake is how to best bed it in, my first thought is to glass it in, Jr thinks I should scrap the steel idea all together and just bed in the voids with liquid fiberglass after crossdrilling them...still thinking on it, might use an old plastic brake handle out of the scrap pile to see how the process turns out before going full bore at the quake, either way it needs to be stiffened up.

I have had good will power thus far (mostly due to being away for work). But I would be up for one or two in the group buy.

No chain!

My 16" Earthquake ($35 - free shipping) came today - with no chain, no scrench, no file, no oil. It has a bar, and a bar cover. I guess he had to make up the shipping somehow. Mine had seen wood for perhaps 2 minutes (oily sawdust under the clutch cover, but not a mark on the bar). Fired it up with a chain I had laying around. Only ran it for a minute or so, but it seems to run fine.

Compression was just under 150 psi. Piston looks shiny new through the exhaust port. Was a little oil in the bar oil tank.

Wonder if it was a return???

No chain though - bummer. Well boys, ya rolls the dice and ya takes your chances.

Hey, it runs - I'm happy.

Last edited:
Just got mine today came with everthing In the original box nice little saw for $35.00
12afa79ebe38e6471d10562d6204f1d4.jpg

I pulled the muffler to check the piston and cylinder, both look new. Did anyone notice how heavy the muffler is, might have to take it apart and see what's in there. Anybody had one apart yet?

ya it is heavy but it is a large muffler about twice the size it needs to be, 3 pieces crimped together with a small piece of what looks like steel wool attached to the center section in the lower part of the muffler the exhuast flows through.

Mine came in yesterday and had all the goodies and has good compression. I will get to it this weekend for a test. Happy!:hmm3grin2orange:

But can China even design a pair of underwear without having your balls pop out of the seams?

Well said. Wouldn't be half as funny if I hadn't just woke up with... that exact problem..

God forbid we should ever go to war with china, but if we do we can hope their weapons aren't any better than their underwear.

Try as I might, I can't fault a $35 chainsaw. Do you think they were worth the original $179?

Last edited:
Not too thrilled with my quake at the moment. It leaked an entire tank of bar oil out in 24 hours at 30*F. Silly me for assuming the oil would stay in it because my six other saws don't leak a drop. In not the kind of guy to accept "all saws leak a little" or "that's normal, just live with it" so I guess I'll try and see how the spare parts from Earthquake goes. I'm thinking maybe my oil supply hose is damaged?

I don't get it. The one on my saw seems O.K. am I missing something?

Too much flex in the brake handle, needs to be shored up a bit. My solution is going to be cross drilling the voids and filling them halfway with epoxy resin, that should give it added rigidity without adding too much weight.

Too much flex in the brake handle, needs to be shored up a bit. My solution is going to be cross drilling the voids and filling them halfway with epoxy resin, that should give it added rigidity without adding too much weight.

You could add some glass fibre flakes while your at it.

Latest posts

Back