Ditch Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Over the weekend i noticed that the state painted an "R" on a walnut about 1-1/2 miles from here... I know the farmer who ownes the land there, so sunday i stopped in and asked him (Joe) if he minded if i "beat the state to the walnut" up the road. He said "have at it"...

Anyway, by the time i got there this morning, the state was just getting there too!!

standard.jpg

I told them that "Joe" had gave it to me, and they said they'd saw it down, and chip the top, leaving the rest for me...

So they knotched it, back cut it, and pushed it over with there excavator...

standard.jpg

I was pretty disapointed that they sawed it off so high up on the stump, but they didn't want me doing the cutting... Anyway, they piled all the wood up in "Joe's" field, while i took a load home with my pallet forks ...

standard.jpg

None of the tree is "great" but it was FREE, and i'm sure i'll get some "decent" lumber for my wood working projects, out of it... Here's the rest of the tree...

standard.jpg

As i got back for the second load, i saw that they had the walnut stump dug out, and had it in the back of there dump truck. I stopped at the truck, and told the driver he could dump the stump at my house if he wanted... He said "sure" and off he went. I was happy about that, as now all the lumber they left in the stump , i can saw out later... Here it is...

standard.jpg

Once i got back home, i picked the stump up and moved it out of the way... When it warms up, i'll power wash all of the dirt off it, and see if i can find a couple nice gun stock blanks in it!!

standard.jpg

I also noticed that there "dump truck" was full of chips from a maple they took down before the walnut, so i told the driver if he didn't mind, he could dump that load at my house too... He took it right over!

standard.jpg

I already spread the chips under some cedar tree's i have, so i won't have to mow the grass there for a long time...

Anyway, i guess this story will have to be continued, as that's all for today!

Rob

Can you soak that stump in your pond? It may be time to wipe the dust off the CSM. Looks like fun. Good luck.

Nails, fence staples, gravel... Hope for the best but be prepared to kill a chain, especially on the stump. Good deal though. A lot of road crews around here aren't always so flexible.

If you look at the pict. closely, you can see the tree is on the road side of the ditch... I've never seen a fence anyplace near that tree, as the fences here are not put on the road side of a ditch that deep...

I'll powerwash the stump, trim it up with a chainsaw, and throw in on the bunks of the bandmill... BUT, that's not going to happen soon, as it has to wait it's turn... lol

Thanks guys, glad you liked the picts...

Rob

Can you soak that stump in your pond? It may be time to wipe the dust off the CSM. Looks like fun. Good luck.

If you have fish Walnut will kill them.

That stump looks like a potential source of gun stock blanks to me. I've got a few curing myself. Takes several years but worth $$ if they turn out good.

Back