DIY Alaskan Mill Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNMIKE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found this video on You Tube and thought people on here might find it interesting. There has been much discussion about the size required for milling. Note the electric saw he is using. I think according to the comments it crapped out on him but it worked for some time looking at his wood pile.
Interesting video at any rate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5GuT5dCpoY&mode=related&search=

I was wrong about the electric saw

It never quite...Im sure it was slower than an 80cc gas saw but hey it worked

The bottom line on saw size/power... ANY saw, no matter how small, will eventually get down the log. It might take 30 minutes to do so, and it might be pushing that saw way beyond its intended use. However, if it saws through wood, it will eventually get through that cant if you don't burn it up in the process.

I found this video on You Tube and thought people on here might find it interesting. There has been much discussion about the size required for milling. Note the electric saw he is using. I think according to the comments it crapped out on him but it worked for some time looking at his wood pile.
Interesting video at any rate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5GuT5dCpoY&mode=related&search=

Gday, yep that be me. :laugh: The POS clutch crapped out so I had it replaced under warranty. Truth be told, if it goes again I could probably literally make one with a drill press and an Angle grinder they are that basic.

Little McChulloch is still ripping no sweat.

This vid was the first time I tried milling and not long after first ever using a chainsaw too.

Yeah its kinda slow, but its a pretty hard timber called River redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) with an air dry density of around 915 kg/m³.
For comparison, Walnut and Cherry are around 600 kg/m³. Its hard work machining it, but is always worth it in the end.

Yeah its kinda slow, but its a pretty hard timber called River redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) with an air dry density of around 915 kg/m³.
For comparison, Walnut and Cherry are around 600 kg/m³. Its hard work machining it, but is always worth it in the end.

The Eucalyptus camaldulensis is similar to the trees I'm milling in this thread.

Nice vid eo Martrix

Out of curiousity what model McCulloch is that ? Ive seen them rated up to 4hp

Nice vid, how about some pics of your DIY mill? I've been searching and looking, have yet to find some with dimensions. I have the steel, the welder, and I would really like to get "started" in using a small chainsaw mill.

A homebuilt unit seems just the ticket for getting started. Besides I like making stuff like that. Thanks, KD

Out of curiousity what model McCulloch is that ? Ive seen them rated up to 4hp

The McChulloch I have is rated at 1850 watt (2.48 HP). On the little spec sticker on the bottom of the saw, it actually says it is made by Husqvarna.

attachment.php

Nice vid, how about some pics of your DIY mill? I've been searching and looking, have yet to find some with dimensions. I have the steel, the welder, and I would really like to get "started" in using a small chainsaw mill.

A homebuilt unit seems just the ticket for getting started. Besides I like making stuff like that. Thanks, KD

Sure do.

If you get a dinky homeowners saw, toss the anti-kickback chain and fit a decent standard chain. Made a huge difference to cutting ability and speed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've been searching and looking, have yet to find some with dimensions. I have the steel, the welder, and I would really like to get "started" in using a small chainsaw mill.

This should get you going. I drew these up after I made it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
If you plan to continue using that electric saw, switching to narrow (pico) ripping chain will improve the cutting speed even more. Baileys sells it (Woodsman Pro) and Logosol sells it (www.logosol.com).

Regards,

Ted

Yes, very nice setup. Nice pics/diagrams as well. Thanks for posting them.

Any info on the oiler setup? Or is that just a drip bottle with a valve to regulate flow?

Going into the shop to start measuring metal. Thanks, KD

Yes, very nice setup. Nice pics/diagrams as well. Thanks for posting them.

Any info on the oiler setup? Or is that just a drip bottle with a valve to regulate flow?

Going into the shop to start measuring metal. Thanks, KD

Cheers, yes its an old bar oil bottle with some plastic irrigation fittings (valve, tubes). Very simple, a little messy but is an OK quick setup.

I new I recognized the mill in the vid before I even read the rest of the thread. Good stuff Matrix.

:rock:

yes, I am still the apprentice though:buttkick: :D . Very busy at the moment but I am quietly building. By the end of this month, I should have 3 051's to set up for milling and a new 195A MIG so I can weld up a bling bling Ally mill like Bobs BIL Mill.

If you plan to continue using that electric saw, switching to narrow (pico) ripping chain will improve the cutting speed even more. Baileys sells it (Woodsman Pro) and Logosol sells it (www.logosol.com).

Regards,

Ted

Hi Ted, yep good tip. I have put Stihl Picco chain on it and it made a big difference.

yes, I am still the apprentice though:buttkick: :D . Very busy at the moment but I am quietly building. By the end of this month, I should have 3 051's to set up for milling and a new 195A MIG so I can weld up a bling bling Ally mill like Bobs BIL Mill.

3 051's? Cool.

We should knock off some of these other TV shows and start one called PIMP MY MILL!:hmm3grin2orange:

Back