Do they maks a 4' bar for an 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtFromJersey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm currently using a 3' bar and can cut up to 28" with my mill. I'd like to up it a little as I have some 34" cherry coming my way. I know it's pushing it but i'll go easy.

If your running a 36" Granberg mill your max cut will be about 33-3/4" regardless of bar length. Granberg makes the top cast aluminum pieces the same and even though you have 36" rails you loose that 1-3/4". I'll try to get pictures posted tonight to help explain if someone doesn't beat me to it. I went to a 41" bar on a 084 to get the max cut on a 36" Granberg.

You can get a bar long enough for the 066 but might want to consider grinding either a semi-skip or full skip ripping chain. My 066 starts really humping it with a 36" full comp chain in cuts wider that 22" +/-.

One more thing to consider with the longer bar would be an aux oiler.

You can definetley run a 48" bar with an 066, just be sure to get a decent bar and not a cheepo laminate bar. I've been milling with a 56" woodsman pro for going on two years now, and have not yet had to true and file the rails.

You can definetley run a 48" bar with an 066, just be sure to get a decent bar and not a cheepo laminate bar. I've been milling with a 56" woodsman pro for going on two years now, and have not yet had to true and file the rails.

What type chain are you using?

I'm running an Oregon ripping chain .050. on a 36" Stihl bar. The Stlhl bars only go up to 36". Anything above that they go to 404 chain which means I'd have to change my sprocket right?. I'd like to stay with the thinner chain if I can do it so I would need a 4' bar that will fit my Stihl and run a .050 gauge chain. Is there such an animal? I already have an Aux oiler on my rig. I'm a noob so I hope I'm making sense to you guys. If I'm not please set me straight.

Last edited:
Cannon make a bar that will fit your 066, buy one with a 325 nose conversion, instead of a standard 3/8", this will let you run a longer bar without stressing the saw.
I run a 325 chain on both my 066 and 880 and they cut really well, I also modify my own chains, to whatever timber I'm cutting.

The smaller chain also gives a superb finish, as there are more cutters on the 325 chain and less chip out.

325 chain

Cannon make a bar that will fit your 066, buy one with a 325 nose conversion, instead of a standard 3/8", this will let you run a longer bar without stressing the saw.
I run a 325 chain on both my 066 and 880 and they cut really well, I also modify my own chains, to whatever timber I'm cutting.

The smaller chain also gives a superb finish, as there are more cutters on the 325 chain and less chip out.

Rail0: I'm running a 3120 on various size Granbergs and used .375 chain of various makes and tooth/filing configurations. Also ran .365 (carlton) and pulled the back out of a driver rivet hole.

I'm looking for the fastest cutting combo. w/o giving up much in the 'time between sharpenings' dept.

What has been your experience? Anyone else?

Rail0: I'm running a 3120 on various size Granbergs and used .375 chain of various makes and tooth/filing configurations. Also ran .365 (carlton) and pulled the back out of a driver rivet hole.

I'm looking for the fastest cutting combo. w/o giving up much in the 'time between sharpenings' dept.

What has been your experience? Anyone else?

To date I have had no breakages using smaller pitched chains, the secret is not to snatch at the throttle so quickly, slow and easy does it, snatches at the throtle is where all the stretching occurs.

.325 milling

Thanks for the response Railo. That break occurred in the middle of a smooth steady cut. I believe the 3120 is too much for the carlton .365, possibly the Stihl picco would be stronger.

The carlton measured about .210 over the cutters while the 3/8 chain measured
.260. Wondering if the .325 chain falls between them.?

Thanks for the response Railo. That break occurred in the middle of a smooth steady cut. I believe the 3120 is too much for the carlton .365, possibly the Stihl picco would be stronger.

Logosol use pico chain and they seem to last ok, my friend has an M7 running a 660, have you seen their new electric chainsaw system, it really zooms along on the smaller sized logs.

Logsol

Logosol use pico chain and they seem to last ok, my friend has an M7 running a 660, have you seen their new electric chainsaw system, it really zooms along on the smaller sized logs.

Have looked at ads, but not the real thing in action. I can imagine it is powerful and quiet, nothing like max. torque at zero rpm. I wouldn't want to purchase the cord to run to it (length= way in the woods), so maybe a generator would work.

Am also curious about the .325 having not run it. Anything to add to the efficiency of being right there at the cut with the saw. I really like that, dust, noise and all!!

Lorin

Latest posts

Back