Do trees evolve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean like Locust trees evolving thorns to repel mammoths?

Maybe modern trees will evolve to top and liontail themselves..........

Some weeds will grow taller than normal when they have to compete with taller crops like corn.
More like adapting to their environment than evolving.
Beware the Triffid.

They do... seeds are spread about the earth thru a variety of means ( birds, wind, oceans, etc.)... and like all living organisms they adapt to the climate and altitude where they grow... over time they differentiate just as birds or lizards do... the organism becomes an entirely new species... what's interesting to me is how on a micro and macro level... units of life seem to understand the threats they face and adapt their biology to survive...

here is a good example from the film Kymatica: Kymatica - Sprword.com
...in 1988 a team of scientists put lactose intolerant cells in a habitat with only lactose for food, they all survived, everyone of them... the cells understood the problem they were facing and replaced the dysfunctional lactic enzyme with a functioning one that utilized lactose for food...

I've prayed about it and the word back is evolution is a lie created by Satan worshiping scientist trying to disprove god.

Yes and no. A species will never become a different species, but adpatation within a species is constantly occuring.

Yes and no. A species will never become a different species, but adpatation within a species is constantly occuring.

....in order for one population to diverge enough from another to become a new species.... there needs to be something to keep the populations from mixing.... often a physical boundary divides the species into two or more populations and keeps them from interbreeding... if separated for long enough and presented with varied environmental conditions... each population takes its own distinct evolutionary path.

Yes, he is always trying to steal the secret recipe for the crab patties.

Haa ha haa haaaa haha!

I ahve Botany text with pics and description of prehistoric trees. Some resemble giant Horse tail and others like giant Aloe vera.
Evolution can happen quickly or in micros.

Cool to think about trees in 100's of thousands of years from now.

I like to think they will be able to talk in a language we can understand.

"What do you say friend?" Tree says " feelin a bit nutty!":msp_biggrin:

Cheers and thanks for provoking some cool thoughts!:wink2:

Haa ha haa haaaa haha!

I ahve Botany text with pics and description of prehistoric trees. Some resemble giant Horse tail and others like giant Aloe vera.
Evolution can happen quickly or in micros.

Cool to think about trees in 100's of thousands of years from now.

I like to think they will be able to talk in a language we can understand.

"What do you say friend?" Tree says " feelin a bit nutty!":msp_biggrin:

Cheers and thanks for provoking some cool thoughts!:wink2:

Are ya OK? You sound hoarse.

"Oh, I have a slight bark. Now I gotta split."

According to Jack Handey, talking trees (*assuming that means they could scream) could possibly be counter productive to the cause of their own evolution:
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

First post, I mostly lurk, but I couldn't just ignore this.

Of course trees evolve, just like every other living organism. And contrary to the "debate", evolution is fact-not theory. You can watch organisms evolve in a petri dish. If you doubt this, go ahead and try last year's flu vaccine. It is disgraceful that this is perceived as a debate.

Natural selection / artificial selection / sexual selection / lateral gene transfer are the explanations (technically termed a hypothesis, though theory is also a decent word to use) that seeks to explain how the observed fact (evolution) occurs. If you don't believe that one of these hypothesis is correct, then you have to come up with an explanation that accounts for all that these do and then some.

Another example:
Things fall if you drop them. This is an observable fact. We hypothesize that gravity is the mechanism that causes this, and it works by yada yada yada. In other words, gravity is a theory.

There is a difference between a hypothesis and a theory, but they are used interchangeably in a colloquial context.

Back to lurking...

Of course trees evolve, just like every other living organism. And contrary to the "debate", evolution is fact-not theory. You can watch organisms evolve in a petri dish. If you doubt this, go ahead and try last year's flu vaccine. It is disgraceful that this is perceived as a debate.

Natural selection / artificial selection / sexual selection / lateral gene transfer are the explanations (technically termed a hypothesis, though theory is also a decent word to use) that seeks to explain how the observed fact (evolution) occurs. If you don't believe that one of these hypothesis is correct, then you have to come up with an explanation that accounts for all that these do and then some.

Another example:
Things fall if you drop them. This is an observable fact. We hypothesize that gravity is the mechanism that causes this, and it works by yada yada yada. In other words, gravity is a theory.

There is a difference between a hypothesis and a theory, but they are used interchangeably in a colloquial context.

Back to lurking...

Go back to lurking-great idea

Another example:

Back to lurking...

Well I would agree that it is FACT that living things do change over time and this is Evolution. But why most people become argumentative is that the mechanism which promotes or causes evolution is still just theory and like GRAVITY may never be completely proven so it will remain theory and always argued... But this is just my Theory.

Devilution becomes you.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”

Max Planck

I am still living like a caveman and can't stop but I have seen the evidence of deviltion.

I wasn't looking for the Answer, I was just looking for reference about trees and what an oak tree was way back when.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back