Do you all ever not have "One of those days"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYLogger

Professional Tree Assassin
Reaction score
Started the week with those #*&%^@&()(&*#&*(@@!(*@#&^#% Dayton wheels on my log truck, still slipping, after getting new spacer ring and wedges! Found out it was the "spider" hub. And as it turns out they only made about 38 1/2 different hubs for Dayton wheels on International 4900s in 1991! So finding a used one has yielded nada, and International wants $700 for one if they can get it.......

Well, the other truck lost a wheel cylinder and it's special order for that and not going to be here till Wednesday, then we find out the starwheel adjusters are locked up tighter than a drum and cannot get em' broke free...........

So you are seeing how my week has been going so far.

We left Sunday at noon to head to Tenn. to pick up a "new to us" knuckleboom truck. Got to Virginia and blew out a tire on said truck. Drove pickup back to Ky, got tire and rim and made it back to knuckleboom in Va. about 3:45 am. Fixed tire (out riggers made that job a breeze!) Finally made it home at 7:00 am today.

Fired up knuckleboom to try it out and sort some logs on the landing. Worked awesome for about an hour. Then the rotator on the grapple stripped out! Splines off the orbital hyd. motor still good, its the female splines in the rotator that are stripped out. Started to tear into it and got as far as we know how to break it down and now I guess we will try to contact the company and find out if parts are still available and how to finish tearing it apart!!!

Is it just me or is this kind of luck about par for everyone's course?

Fires

I think the term is, Now Yer Loggin... brakes quit on the missus, blew a hose got it fixed now she's dying when I hit big bumps, and the brakes still don't work? Self loader jockey was down for a week and a half with a bad main boom cylinder... the list goes on, not to mention falling down getting smacked by viney maples, beaned by angry squirrels tossing fir cones down on ya, which is hilarious when it happens to someone else by the way...

Still fun in the end though.:msp_thumbsup:

I only get nervous when things don't go wrong and break. It is like waiting to be punched, struggling with broken stuff, employees late and then braking it for you, parts that are obsolete, the wrong ones shipped, priced at twice what there worth when you can find them... that's normal in my world

Update on the current state of affairs:

Found hub in Wisconsin at Kadinger Truck Parts, these guys are awecome!! $125+$75 freight!!!!! Freaking AWESOME!

Parts should be in here today to fix the brakes on the other truck.

Rotator female socket thingey mabob (that's the technical term) for the grapple is available and only $21, unless I got too over zealous with a pipe wrench, then its gonna be $500. Either way we should be up and running by Monday, Tuesday at the latest!

Tom

Update on the current state of affairs:

Found hub in Wisconsin at Kadinger Truck Parts, these guys are awecome!! $125+$75 freight!!!!! Freaking AWESOME!

Parts should be in here today to fix the brakes on the other truck.

Rotator female socket thingey mabob (that's the technical term) for the grapple is available and only $21, unless I got too over zealous with a pipe wrench, then its gonna be $500. Either way we should be up and running by Monday, Tuesday at the latest!

Tom

See.
Coulda been worse. ;)

Andy

Parr for the course...and yeah...it can get bloody worse...and folks wonder why we've gotta charge out at $100/hr...and still not making better than average living :-/

I think this qualifies as one of those days. Tire chain worked over to the inside of the tire and wore into the axle housing till the whole works fell off. Now we have a seven wheel forwarder. If anyone can give me any info on salvage yards or equipment dealers that might have a used bogie housing I would appreciate it. This is on a 2000 Ponsse caribou forwarder

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380157694567.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380157694567.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380157706673.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380157706673.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 32
Not to state the obvious, but that was totally avoidable... by maybe stopping and fixing/removing the chains...

Was it you driving?

Is the driver still employed?

If you cant find a used unit it is technically weldable, although you're going to need a very talented welder...

Not to state the obvious, but that was totally avoidable... by maybe stopping and fixing/removing the chains...

Was it you driving?

Is the driver still employed?

If you cant find a used unit it is technically weldable, although you're going to need a very talented welder...

yup should not have gone that far. just sayin.:msp_unsure:

He's a good operator, been with us quite some time. This wheel is not visible from the cab, unless you stand annd flatten your head against the ceiling. It happened in the time period between morning startup and early afternoon. Can't really blame anyone, as much as I or anyone would like to. Maybe the shop that had been working on it the day before. They took the chain off then installed it crooked.

Its not weldable without some serious jigs etc to hold the axle, axle bearings and planetary assembly perfectly true. Going to search for parts for a couple more days, then maybe try to find the talented welder mentioned above.

perhaps a custom Sleeve machined to fit the inside bore, hammer around until true, tack it to hold, run the wheel to see if there is any noise, and finish welding. Shouldn't be to hard really.

bearings will put up with a little bit of untrue running, nothing severe mind, but if the wheel is more or less square and located where it should be then the bearings can usually have 2 or more degrees of mismatch and still be ok.

perhaps a custom Sleeve machined to fit the inside bore, hammer around until true, tack it to hold, run the wheel to see if there is any noise, and finish welding. Shouldn't be to hard really.

bearings will put up with a little bit of untrue running, nothing severe mind, but if the wheel is more or less square and located where it should be then the bearings can usually have 2 or more degrees of mismatch and still be ok.

Very true. Not to mention it is done all the time with truck rears. The spindle gets worn and wont hold a bearing or seal...cut off offending spindle and weld on new one.

Latest posts

Back