do you carry pressure dressings when working?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I always carry a pressure dressing when working in the field. I use 6" x 10" stomach dressings, they are over an 1" thick and very absorbant, with a no seep thru liner on the top. I complement this with a physio exerciser tension band (the thin flat rubber sheets that are about 4 feet long). It is EXCELLENT for adding pressure to the bandage dressings, and it does'nt act like a tourniquet becasue it is so wide. Slap on the the stomach dressing on a major gash, wrap lightly with the tension sheet and it applies the perfect pressure, without the need for you or whoever to constantly hold it on.

got a compliment from the local ER trauma doc recently on the setup, after applying it to a gash on a friends leg, after they cut themselves with a machete while brush clearing. Doc said i should make up a whole bunch of these and market them to the tree industry.....

anybody else have customized first aid kits when they work?

:)

rubber tension sheet:
B00066D68Q.01-A2L9I0Y7VXFHAH.PT03._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50670244_.jpg

B00066D68Q.01-A2L9I0Y7VXFHAH._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50670244_.jpg

stomach dressing pads:
P1010063.jpg

nitrile rubber gloves: (cuz some peopel are allergic to Latex gloves):
706338_saf.jpg

1 tension sheet, 2 stomach dressingsand a pair of Nitrile gloves fits into a Ziploc bag, fits in pocket or pouch, or under helmet .

I like this setup because the rubber sheets apply pressure so you dont have to - THIS IS CRUCIAL if YOU need to transport the injured to meet the ambulance (ie: your in the woods or a remote local that the ambulane cant drive too). You cna concentrate on driving without having to use one hand to apply pressure while your driving...just let the tension sheets do the work.

Last edited:
I bought a "blood stopper kit" from the local Arborist supply store. Its basically a huge gauze pad (sterile) wrapped in plastic and in a pouch that can be attached to a saddle.

I often though how stupid it was for my boss to spend big money on first aid kits with everything from little band-aids to asprin in 'em.

The best thing would be to have clean sterile towels in heavy duty plastic bags in the truck at all times

Yeah bought the blood stopper package from Sherrill and has been on my saddle ever since. I am hoping that it stays in the plastic bag and I never need to use it. Can't be too careful I think and it looks good in comps.

That is a good idea. When the hurricanes came thru; and there were so many, and so many new people using a chainsaw all around; i did as the olde ones before us did.

i took some sanitary napkins and bungee in truck(more than a few old lumberjacks were found signaling with there mirror after using it to square the napkin right on a gusher in throat before there was a buddy system etc.)! i figured i was pretty likely to see someone at some point with a gusher. Saw some pretty stupid **** on the spot, hinges and other strategies that were crazy in the wake of other folks. But, luckily didn't have to unwrap any of the sterile, individually wrapped, thirsty devices. i did throw one at a groundie and told him to take a brake one day though....

Also, a blanket is a nice compliment to have; for treating shock from blood loss etc.

TheTreeSpyder said:
i took some sanitary napkins and bungee in truck, But, luckily didn't have to unwrap any of the sterile, individually wrapped, thirsty devices. i did throw one at a groundie and told him to take a break one day though....

:hmm3grin2orange:

Absolutely

I ended up getting a trauma bag on Ebay and had an EMT friend of mine stock it for me.

We carry airways, BP cuff(can help control bleeding) Epi and other stuff in addtion to pressure dressings.

Used to carry the good-ole Kotex pressure dressing until I got some real ones. As far as I'm concerened a sterile no-stick pad backed by a Kotex pad (or 2 or 3) is still the best pressure dressing out there.

Its funny though, with all the push for AED's at the OSHA level, it seems odd that all we are required to carry is nothing more than a well stocked first aid kit.

In my mind, with the significance of the potential trauma we face we'd be better off with a trauma bag and an O2 rig. But here in VT you need special permits for an O2 set up.

Ask any EMT and they will tell you that O2 is one of the universal treatments...once the airway is established, there are very few times that they won't put the o2 on you.

OOPs there I go again.... :deadhorse:

Back