Trauma / Med Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a J&J basic first aid kit in the truck at all times. When I go in the woods I bring along a backpack I put together for desert camping trips. Last August I fell through the roof of a fox den while looking at A mine shaft. I didn't' know I was standing over a fox den and thought I was going for a very long ride. I instinctively reached for something and the only thing around was a barbed wire fence that ran down my left arm leaving three red lines and several very deep puncture wounds. This happened about 150 miles from civilization. That is how we discovered our medical kits were severely lacking. I took care of that problem promptly when I got home.

When I took EMT training our instructor told us the first rule for cuts and lacerations is all bleeding eventually stops. The first rule or tourniquets is never use them when there is a severe cut to the head.

That's good to know and we appreciate the information. Have you yourself poured ground up peppers, cayenne or any other kind, into an open wound? If so, how big was the wound? We talking serious blood loss here or just a scrape?
If you haven't actually poured cayenne pepper into an open wound would you be willing to try it? Would you make a video? We'd really like that. Don't forget the sound portion.

In the meantime I think I'll follow dakotalawdog and 2dogs examples and the use plain old fashioned irrigate, swab, wrap, tape, and tie method. It may not be as environmentally correct as skipping through the woods humming little logger songs and gathering organic remedies but I probably won't bleed out either.

I'd like to skip through the woods humming little logging songs, but rely on western medicine if I'm bleeding. Is this OK?

I keep a J&J basic first aid kit in the truck at all times. When I go in the woods I bring along a backpack I put together for desert camping trips. Last August I fell through the roof of a fox den while looking at A mine shaft. I didn't' know I was standing over a fox den and thought I was going for a very long ride. I instinctively reached for something and the only thing around was a barbed wire fence that ran down my left arm leaving three red lines and several very deep puncture wounds. This happened about 150 miles from civilization. That is how we discovered our medical kits were severely lacking. I took care of that problem promptly when I got home.

When I took EMT training our instructor told us the first rule for cuts and lacerations is all bleeding eventually stops. The first rule or tourniquets is never use them when there is a severe cut to the head.

Hey Bob. How are you and the Dodge? Where did you take your EMT training?

Hey Bob. How are you and the Dodge? Where did you take your EMT training?

The Dodge and are doing great. We just got back from a visiting the in-laws in LA over the weekend. We are finally in escrow on a place after stoning a year in a shoebox size apartment. Still have your truck? Any news on the GTG this year?

I initially took EMT training in Lansing, IL, Gary, IN and took courses as part of my hazmat training at work in Sunnyvale.

I had CPR training in Gary, IN many years ago. Our class was taught to evaluate the victim and if they needed to be revived the first step was to look a witness in the eye and tell them, "You, call 911!"

During the practical portion of the class the instructor threw a dummy on the floor and told us we had a man down, not breathing, no pulse. He looked at one of the students and asked him what he would do in that situation. Instinctively the kid said, "Take his wallet." I triple-checked that my car doors were locked before going into the building the next day when I went to class.

During the practical portion of the class the instructor threw a dummy on the floor and told us we had a man down, not breathing, no pulse. He looked at one of the students and asked him what he would do in that situation. Instinctively the kid said, "Take his wallet." I triple-checked that my car doors were locked before going into the building the next day when I went to class.

:laugh:

Vet wrap is nice stuff but you should check out ELASTIKON WRAP by johnson and johnson. It is very sticky and very strong. I am a veterinarian and use elastikon so the patients can't chew it off. Vet Wrap offers many pretty colors and designs but if you want that sucker to stay on, use ELASTIKON!!!!

Last edited:
The first rule or tourniquets is never use them when there is a severe cut to the head.

Second rule: Never apply a tourniquet to the arm below the elbow, or to the leg below the knee.

It will have no effect on the bleeding, as the fysiology (bone structure) prevents the pressure from closing off the arteries.

Just saying... :taped:

The Dodge and are doing great. We just got back from a visiting the in-laws in LA over the weekend. We are finally in escrow on a place after stoning a year in a shoebox size apartment. Still have your truck? Any news on the GTG this year?

I initially took EMT training in Lansing, IL, Gary, IN and took courses as part of my hazmat training at work in Sunnyvale.

I had CPR training in Gary, IN many years ago. Our class was taught to evaluate the victim and if they needed to be revived the first step was to look a witness in the eye and tell them, "You, call 911!"

I was in Gary IN yesterday and I am by it everyday. I for one can surely appreciate and can relate to that story. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back