New to Me CS-2511t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Vega

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I picked up a used Echo CS-2511t yesterday. This thing is so lightweight, it's crazy! The previous owner had it for a few years, so I'm thinking I may replace the air filter and spark plug. Are there any other items y'all would recommend looking into for a new to you saw tune up?

One odd thing, it has a 12" .05 bar, but it came with a 3/8" .043 chain on it. Can you run it that way? I always thought your bar and chain gauge had to match...

From the factory it should be 3/8LP x 0.050". Maybe the PO bought the wrong 3/8LP chain. I have no idea if this is an unsafe/unwise combination. I think I would get a new chain.

I don't think I'd tell him to go get a new chain until he knows exactly what bar he has, a lot of guys convert 2511s to 1/4 pitch because they are borderline horrible with the stock bar and chain set up.

I run a 2511T with 3/8 LP .050 chain and it does fine now that Mitch Weber has worked it over a bit. It was not impressive stock but the 3/8 LP was not the problem.

I would try to locate a spare clutch drum while you have time, they can be hard to locate at times and you pay more when you are in a hurry.

20231209_125029.jpg

Mark

The previous owner included a new Oregon .050 chain, so I think they may have mistakenly put on the wrong size. I will swap the new chain on so everything matches.

I'm hoping y'all can help educate me on running a 1/4" setup. It seems like the chain speed goes down with a 1/4" pitch chain and 8 tooth sprocket as compared to the 3/8" pitch stock configuration. If not a faster chain speed, what benefit does the 1/4" conversion provide?

BrandModelWeight (tool only, lbs)Bar LengthChain Speed (FPM)Chain Speed (FPS)Chain PitchSprocketRPMCC (approx)
StihlMS201T8.1612-16"5250.0087.500.37561400035.2
StihlMS194T7.2814"4875.0081.250.37561300031.8
EchoCS-2511t5.212"5025.0083.750.37561340025
EchoCS-2511t5.212"4466.6774.440.2581340025

Haven't converted mine, but I think most report the 1/4" cuts smoother but not faster. The stock Oregon chain tends to chatter. I find the Stihl PS/PS3 is smoother and feel no temptation to try 1/4".

I have used several different versions of 3/8 LP and normally have a "safety chain" with the full bumpers ahead of the cutters (bottom one in the photo below) since most of the time I'm using the 2511 from a bucket or basket. Chain without the bumpers can be a bit grabby. I found this photo on Wikipedia, my chains don't look quite so rough as the one below...

1702513862675.png

My chains are full compliment, not the skip type shown above. You can't even buy the skip in a roll, only loops and I'm not sure they are even producing that type any longer.

Mark

Started cleaning up the saw and removed the muffler. What do y’all think of this piston?

It was lean scored a while ago but has been running a while since then
Would you advise replacing the piston? I am new to this, and not sure at what point replacement is warranted.

Currently looking into figuring out a better way to seal the air filter to the carburetor.

Would you advise replacing the piston? I am new to this, and not sure at what point replacement is warranted.

Currently looking into figuring out a better way to seal the air filter to the carburetor.
Most would say yes. In the end, the piston is probably fine but it’s the cylinder walls that could use some attention cleaning up and removing the aluminum transfer so the rings can actually seal and make compression

Most would say yes. In the end, the piston is probably fine but it’s the cylinder walls that could use some attention cleaning up and removing the aluminum transfer so the rings can actually seal and make compression
I tested the compression, I am at 85 psi dry. Adding a little bit of oil and retesting, got me to 100 psi. Should these numbers be closer to 150?

IMG_6989.jpeg

IMG_6992.jpeg
I will see about removing the engine block to look at the cylinder.

Should be about 180 stock
Yikes! I’m pretty far off the mark. The saw was running prior to the teardown.

Here is a video of the cylinder.

IMG_7147.jpeg
IMG_7155.jpeg
IMG_7157.jpeg
IMG_7159.jpeg
IMG_7162.jpeg

And a few photos of the piston.
IMG_7138.jpeg
IMG_7131.jpeg
IMG_7132.jpeg
IMG_7134.jpeg
IMG_7135.jpeg

Can y’all help me understand what I am looking at? I see the vertical scoring on the piston, and some vertical scoring on the cylinder wall, along with a missing chunk of metal at one of the openings.

It was lean scored a while ago but has been running a while since then

Yikes! I’m pretty far off the mark. The saw was running prior to the teardown.

Here is a video of the cylinder.

View attachment 1136601
View attachment 1136602
View attachment 1136603
View attachment 1136604
View attachment 1136605

And a few photos of the piston.
View attachment 1136588
View attachment 1136589
View attachment 1136590
View attachment 1136592
View attachment 1136596

Can y’all help me understand what I am looking at? I see the vertical scoring on the piston, and some vertical scoring on the cylinder wall, along with a missing chunk of metal at one of the openings.

The lines above your exhaust port are bleeding off your compression. And it looks like they’re into your cylinder plating, as opposed to just aluminum transfer that could be removed.

You could try to smooth the area out around your exhaust port but I don’t think you’ll be successful. In that case you’ll need a new piston/cylinder kit

The lines above your exhaust port are bleeding off your compression. And it looks like they’re into your cylinder plating, as opposed to just aluminum transfer that could be removed.

You could try to smooth the area out around your exhaust port but I don’t think you’ll be successful. In that case you’ll need a new piston/cylinder kit

Thanks for all the insight so far. Sounds like things aren't looking good however.

So to try and save the cylinder, I would need to smooth the area shown in the photo below? But if the scratches are too deep into the cylinder wall, it will prevent the ring from sealing, and I'll continue to have low compression.

IMG_7155.jpg

I have a few questions. How is it that the saw was able to run and cut with such low compression? Any chance the reported compression is lower than what it actually is? I used a Mityvac MV5530 tester - which I typically use for motorcycles. The gauge, with adapters, was about 12" long. I've heard an overly long length of tubing can report lower values.

Looking at a cylinder and piston kit, I will end up into this saw what a new one costs. 🙃

Latest posts

Back