will a ms 261 cylinder kit work on a ms 271 with a 3 bolt intake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe 025

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got this saw today (E bay Special) I'm guessing it's a older one with the 3 bolt intake Can I use a MS 261 Cylinder kit on this? thank you

Thank you was hoping seem to be having a time finding a top end rebuild kit or OEM.

I looking for this hyway kit now H30271 this is the one for the bolt on intake no luck so far, but enjoying the hunt.

I suggest:

1. Don't split the motor until you have pressure/vac tested it. Only then will you know what caused the problem.

2. Don't order parts until you have split the motor and cleaned up any cylinder damage. Only then will you know what parts you really need.

Roy

Thanks Roy I understand pulling the jug this afternoon with luck the cylinder will work after a good cleaning..................hoping.

Those two are what I'm waiting for. Neither makes pistons for the new-style MS291.

I suspect, they both will eventually.

I could buy LRB right now...but, would rather wait. Just personal preference.

Looks I'll be able to save the cylinder at this point just a little transfer on it that I think will sand out.

I wonder if anyone has converted an older style 271 to the newer style seems all you would have to do is buy a new clamp on boot...................never that easy right?

I don't have the new-style IPL, but, clearly, there is a piston difference between old and new saws.

I have never read what it would take to convert forward or backward. I am not sure the repair/modification of these saws attract a lot of...engineering talent.

I plan to wait for Hyway to sell a new-style piston, buy one, install it, and then sell my 291.

Roy

I wonder if anyone has converted an older style 271 to the newer style seems all you would have to do is buy a new clamp on boot...................never that easy right?

No. I did one a couple of years back so my memory of what all was involved is not so good.
But, more or less, you buy the cylinder and the intake boot doesn't fit. So, you buy the new intake. Then the housing piece or whatever you call it that creates the baffle around the carb doesn't fit. And, so on.

No. I did one a couple of years back so my memory of what all was involved is not so good.
But, more or less, you buy the cylinder and the intake boot doesn't fit. So, you buy the new intake. Then the housing piece or whatever you call it that creates the baffle around the carb doesn't fit. And, so on.
Kinda what I though,
Thank you
I don't have the new-style IPL, but, clearly, there is a piston difference between old and new saws.

I have never read what it would take to convert forward or backward. I am not sure the repair/modification of these saws attract a lot of...engineering talent.

I plan to wait for Hyway to sell a new-style piston, buy one, install it, and then sell my 291.

Roy

Roy
the older one takes the same piston as the the 261
Piston

If that is the case it is likely that you can clean your cylinder up plenty well enough. Unless, it has broke a circlip or something and made a deep gouge.
I got the cylinder nice and smooth and ordered a hyway popup piston for the saw, we will see what happens. I'm sure it will blowup as I have never replaced one before but no guts no glory. :)

Back