2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need Some Advice

Last Spring I planted 20 Jersey Knight Asparagus plants into trenches. When only 15 came up, I back-filled with a mixture of topsoil and compost. This March, I replanted 10 Jersey Knight and 10 Jersey Supreme plants that I ordered. We had tons of dry weather and trenching wasn't too bad (3rd row). After planting, I noticed the roots of some plants seemed to migrate out of the soil. Some had dried out so I recovered. Well now we're getting inches of rain at a time and this is what's happening:
IMG_2873.JPG IMG_2872.JPG
My trenches are flooding. If I could back-fill now without the plants sprouting, that would solve the problem. Some (1st pic) have sprouted but the majority has not. Once the trenches drain (I have a clay base), I'll recover the roots that have floated to the top with even more dirt. I just wonder if they'll survive.

P.S. Yes I know, my garden is weedy. I got distracted with Spring hunting and fishing. when it dries out this week?, I weed whip and spray the weeds. I've got to contend with the volunteer locust trees that has sprouted. Last year, I cut them back and spread the fresh cuts with herbicide (can't remember which one, Stump Gone?) and retreat them.
Sorry, no help with the asparagus... But thanks for the link to that cool wood barter website via your photos. I just registered. :drinkingcoffee: 👍

Nothing! There's enough for all of us. :drinkingcoffee:
Seriously. I'm more concerned with the crows. In fact that's how I can tell it's time to get out there and pick them up - I hear the crows in the trees.
Oh, and the best thing about nut trees and squirrels is they don't remember where they bury all their nuts, so every year you get more nut trees. :happy:
I transplanted 3 yesterday and flagged about a dozen more.

Sorry, no help with the asparagus... But thanks for the link to that cool wood barter website via your photos. I just registered. :drinkingcoffee: 👍
oops! I posted it there 1st and then copied and pasted it here. Didn't know the site carried over. I'm not in trouble for promoting another website?

Oh, and the best thing about nut trees and squirrels is they don't remember where they bury all their nuts, so every year you get more nut trees. :happy:
I transplanted 3 yesterday and flagged about a dozen more.
I only have a couple trees and the vermin get all the nuts.

Which one is that? :laugh: Are you a woodworker? WB is a good source of different woods that you may not have. Good source of inspiration too.
It is! I was just looking through the photo gallery - amazing skills!
I dabble in wood carving.
It really was a lucky coincidence you posted that link today. I saw the section of "Formulas & Conversion" so I asked if anyone had a good tree value calculator.
Thank, again. :cheers:

Ready to roll. Picked up plants today.
20240502_134410.jpg
20240502_134442.jpg

Nice! Do you grow/sell produce for a living?
I did. What I make now is toys and beer money.:) I had a produce market for 25 years. I do a Saturday gig at the local campground July and August and also sell to some of my old market customers for their freezing and canning needs. Growing stuff is in my jeans.:laugh: Probably won't quit till they plant me.

Another good day for planting. :)
Planted a dozen gourd seeds, a row of sunflowers, and two rows of marigolds.
Transplanted volunteers; nine rose of Sharon, two maples, and two cedars.
Tomorrow I'm moving some rose campion, columbine, and a multiflora rose.
I can't believe how many seedlings are coming up all over the yard! I flag them when I see them and I'm going to have to put off mowing a while longer.

I found about a dozen 2" cedar seedlings under a maple I need to move also. 👍
edit: Forgot to mention yesterday planting about a dozen seeds I saved from that huge pumpkin/plant that mysteriously appeared in my yard two years ago. They accidentally got slightly toasted in the oven, so Idk if they'll do anything.

Only nut trees on my property are whiteoaks and Hickory. The squirrels like to use my pots and beds for hiding their nuts. They are worse than the dog for digging up things.
"Worse" is debatable. The way I look at it, they're planting new trees for me. :happy:
But, I wouldn't want them digging up my veggie garden.

Need Some Advice

Last Spring I planted 20 Jersey Knight Asparagus plants into trenches. When only 15 came up, I back-filled with a mixture of topsoil and compost. This March, I replanted 10 Jersey Knight and 10 Jersey Supreme plants that I ordered. We had tons of dry weather and trenching wasn't too bad (3rd row). After planting, I noticed the roots of some plants seemed to migrate out of the soil. Some had dried out so I recovered. Well now we're getting inches of rain at a time and this is what's happening:
IMG_2873.JPG IMG_2872.JPG
My trenches are flooding. If I could back-fill now without the plants sprouting, that would solve the problem. Some (1st pic) have sprouted but the majority has not. Once the trenches drain (I have a clay base), I'll recover the roots that have floated to the top with even more dirt. I just wonder if they'll survive.

P.S. Yes I know, my garden is weedy. I got distracted with Spring hunting and fishing. when it dries out this week?, I weed whip and spray the weeds. I've got to contend with the volunteer locust trees that has sprouted. Last year, I cut them back and spread the fresh cuts with herbicide (can't remember which one, Stump Gone?) and retreat them.
Don't worry about the weeds, my garden is full of weeds now until I put in tomato's. I cover most of the garden with a black tarp and pull it when it's time to plant.

Got a TON of plants out of the greenhouse planted. Early Golden Acre cabbage, Snowball Cauliflower, 2 kinds of broc. and Black Beauty eggplant. 2 rows of each 130' long. Got all of the melons, squash, and pumpkins out of there too. Got rained out for several days here.
Onions lovin the weather. Taters just comin up good now. Radishes and turnips doin good. Beets, carrots, parsnips, and spinach did not come up. --- had trouble with them last year!
Had big ole storm last night and got a whoppin .1 inch of rain from it! -- sunset and rainbow after it went over.

Attachments

• 20240504_183754.jpg
    20240504_183754.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_183818.jpg
    20240504_183818.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_183829.jpg
    20240504_183829.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_183739.jpg
    20240504_183739.jpg