do you feel safer in the tree on in the bucket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most climbing is fine with me. I do trim a lot of previously topped trees. Getting around the tree when the only safe tie in's are half the height is a pain. Or when theres that 1 limb over the house. I would be fine with a cable truck even. Anyone use one?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

"Most climbing is fine with me. I do trim a lot of previously topped trees. Getting around the tree when the only safe tie in's are half the height is a pain."

then use multiple ropes and multiple TIPs. When theres that 1 limb over the house, use a pole tool.

I use a pole saw quite a bit. And multiple tie in's wont get you above your tie in. Not to mention how physical it can be.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Lets be real anyone that says tree over bucket,
1.hasn't had had enough experience in bucket or
2. is just talking out of ego.
bucket truck is far safer, far more efficient otherwise we wouldn't be paying 120k for bucket trucks

For me it all depends on the tree. But no, I don't like being in any bucket but would take that over being in a tree that was about to crumble.

I've never heard of a treeman not liking an aerial lift. It's like not liking a sharp saw or a crane.

Just part of the biz.

Well at my age maybe, uh, sure! But then where's the fun in that?

I'd drive it into a bridge, swing the boom into a no-no, or get it swamped in yard anyway so its best to get someone more qualified to run it. When there is a tree out back call me... but don't call me fer nuttin else cause I am to damn tired.

So I guess its true: I feel safer in the tree... and you should feel safer to! I can handle pretty much anything though I would reserve bucket jobs for bucket jobs. I rent a 50 foot tow behind if I need it. Doing jobs with a bucket on the job I just have a guy shoot me up there, hop out, climb a little higher then send it out down to where the bucket guy can handle it effectively.

I guess the bucket I would want would have to be one of those Row workers, 4x4 with floatation tires or something nasty, rear mount of course. I hate those clunky boxes with a chipper on the back, always in the way and in the wrong way.

Lets be real anyone that says tree over bucket,
1.hasn't had had enough experience in bucket or
2. is just talking out of ego.
bucket truck is far safer, far more efficient otherwise we wouldn't be paying 120k for bucket trucks
There is a great alternative/complement to bucket. You can put it to work on a daily basis, doing bucket's work, but you can access backyards with it and therefore take contracts you might not have taken before.
Spider lifs will make your less skilled teams as profitable as you highly skilled climbers. Not to say WAY safer.

When you get good with a bucket you'll love the bucket. I spend about 50/50 climbing and riding the bucket. The time it takes me to climb to the top of the tree, tie in, set my ropes, climb back down to where I need to start I would have had a giant head start in the bucket. I also do a lot of ornamental trims, topping and shaping crabs and pears for customers who prefer that manicured look. There's no way you can make a tree over 20ft tall round with a ladder. Sure they're a little bouncy which is a bit disconcerning at first but if it's well maintained and you're harnessed in a lot more things can go wrong whilst climbing.

If you're thinking about buying a bucket, buy a bucket. You can get a decent used one for around 30k and it will open you up to a whole new spectrum of business, and if you're still scared of it they still make great chip trucks.

The trees I'm climbing right now would be nice with a bucket, no vehicle access but open to the public, spready trees full of borer and no high points, full of deadwood and structural defects, dead tips and covered in epicormic growth, apparently (according to council arb report) of high arboricultural value, not to me they ain't!

I experience both of these way outs. I generally prefer bucket for trunk removal and rope for tree other tree care needs like tree trimming, tree prunning.

The trees I'm climbing right now would be nice with a bucket, no vehicle access but open to the public, spready trees full of borer and no high points, full of deadwood and structural defects, dead tips and covered in epicormic growth, apparently (according to council arb report) of high arboricultural value, not to me they ain't!
Please pay a visit to our website: www.upequip.ca to see the available compact tracked spider lifts and pay a closer look at the 70-36AJ unit from Easy Lift. This is the landmark model for tree care with no access to vehicles, tight spaces, hard to reach areas. Contact us and we will be glad to help!
Thank you.

Back