Do You Have A Headache Rack On Your Truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Have A Headache Rack On Your Truck?

• Yes

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • No, but I'm planing on puting one on my truck.

Votes: 22 22.2%

• Total voters

mercer_me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a headache rack on my truck. I built it rite after I bought my truck. I built it with bed rails that go down the hole lenght of the body. I have 2 back up lights and 1 strobe light on it. I like having so I can't put a peice of fire wood or my ATV through the back window. My camera is broke, so when I get a new camera I will take a few pictures of it.

I have one on a 1ton chevy,thats not road legal yet.and dont have one on the 3/4 ton Ram that I have been using for the last 5 yaers.

I have a ladder rack on my truck, so I cant really put a headache rack in.

If I ever have a truck that I dont put a ladder rack on though, I plan on putting a headache rack in it to protect the glass, and Id also be able to put a ladder on it in a pinch

i currently don't have one on either of my trucks, but i do have a pile of metal that is cut to make a headache rack sitting in the corner. just has to be welded up, and mounted on my old chevy. mainly for piece of mind so i don't throw a piece of wood through the back window.

After 3 pieces bouncing off the rear glass in the last year no problems. Then it happened, 3 weeks ago as soon as it left my hands I tried to grab it but it was too late. Sure enough busted out the left side of the rear slider. Made up a quick fix out of some 2 x 4s that drops in the stake pockets when I split. Works good and best part used extra lumber that was just laying around.

Yup, built it myself, with a little help from the cool toys I have at work:

Edit, very old pic. topper clamps are long gone, it is bolted down, 1 bolt on each side is an eye bolt for easier tying down of stuff.

attachment.php

I have a headache, does that count? Seriously though, I am in the process of welding one up for my little Nissan. Glass is expensive here and they don't offer glass coverage on insurance.

just put one on my truck the other day. mostly because my brother got me one for free and painted it for me lol!! but also bcause i wanted one and it will keep me from throwin a log through my back window.

i locked my keys in the truck once at walmart in the dead of winter. i was pretty pissed before i even did that lol. so lucckally for me i had a junk weed wacker in the bed. i picked it up and swung it like a madman through my back window. climbed in and drove home lol. made me feel better at the time.

Had one on every truck I have owned since 1974. It's a must have item for me, along w/ a big tool box. I always built my own in the past, but the last couple of trucks I had somebody else build them for me.

I'm all for saving a couple of bucks and building my own (with just about anything), but for just over $200 I couldn't justify buying the materials and taking the time to make one. Back Rack makes a nice unit that installs without having to drill holes in the truck. It is also nice to mount some lights in a location that they won't get destroyed plowing or loading wood.

http://backrack.ca/en-us/index.html

I have a headache rack on my truck. I built it rite after I bought my truck. I built it with bed rails that go down the hole lenght of the body. I have 2 back up lights and 1 strobe light on it. I like having so I can't put a peice of fire wood or my ATV through the back window. My camera is broke, so when I get a new camera I will take a few pictures of it.

I currently have one on my F250 and have the same form of side rails that you do, but I will have to rebuild it.

I was talking to an auto body shop yesterday and it seems that the weight of the rack is hard on truck beds. Over time the rack can cause the corners of the bed to start cracking. That is what is happening to mine.

The fix is to build the headache rack so that it bolts to the frame of the truck.

Essentially that requires the construction of two "U-shaped" supports. These supports are bolted to the frame of the truck (on the truck bed), run up the sides of the bed, and provide a place to bolt the headache rack (bolts allow for easier removal of the headache rack).

This causes the weight of the headache rack to rest on the frame of the truck and prevents cracking of the truck bed.

HTH

:cheers:

This is the rack that the PO put on my truck. I had to rewire the lights to work properly but other than that it works pretty well. I haven't had a log come through the rear window yet.

My truck is a 1997 Dodge 2500 4X4 with a Cummins diesel engine. I have a 5 speed trans and the camper package which included the 1 ton springs. It is a workhorse.

I just built mine out of scrap lumber I had. I throw it in when I go to cut. Set it aside when I need the truck for other things. 2 years old now and saved my window MANY times.
ry%3D480

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144595&stc=1&d=1279728555

Here's a pic. Still don't have my strobes or amber plow light mounted, but will have them on prior to plow season. The 4 driving lights work really well for night time work and are pretty much out of the way of getting broken. I also like the fact that I didn't have to drill any holes in the truck. The back rack uses a vehicle specific mount that mounts through the stake pockets.

Back