Do you mark your firewood logs as you buck them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, I use the bar on my 18" .. .my stove will take up to a 28" log... so yea I really don't care what size it is lol!

I always mark mine, customers want the wood to stack nice and fit in their stove. 16" is the most common. I used to use a 16" stick, bend over layout the stick, stand up cut it and repeat. Now I use a 48" driveway marker laid out at 16"and just mark the log (usually 8' or 12'), put down the stick, pickup the saw and cut the blocks, stack by the splitter and do the next log. At 67 it is much easier to do it this way than piece by piece, it gives me a break, less bending and standing and the work area stays neat.

No I don't mark mine, but should start. I cut the trunk at around 16" +/- 2" for weight and splitting stove size, but it would work better for stacking if they were more uniform. The larger branches I cut up to 30" for the outdoor furnace - and any of the larger trunk pieces go there also. The outdoor furnace wood varies between 16" and 30" so my stacks are pretty messy - not a big concern for me though.

I personaly don't mark because the stoves I feed easily take 1 foot length, give or take. But if I needed special length I would definately go cheap and use cable tie's / zip tie's! I'll attach some photos from another thread to demonstrate what I mean. Just attach and cut to your desired length. With the availability of different colours you could even have colour coded lengths. Others I have seen simply mark there blade with a marker and either go from the tip of the blade or the but of the saw.

The original site is here if anyone wants to read german. (http://forum.motorsaegen-portal.de/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=61948&start=20)

8800704bpv.jpg

9582732ist.jpg

or another method (http://forum.motorsaegen-portal.de/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66666&start=60)

17054076ro.jpg

And when not needed you can just fold it to the side of the saw.

I'll measure and mark larger logs. I tend to cut larger logs too long if I just eyeball it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hold the premeasured stick in my right hand that operates the saw the whole time I am bucking. Kinda in my palm. I carry the saw with my left hand and use the stick to locate the next cut. No marking but each is measured.
Yep fast easy and free. The are plenty of measuring sticks around the splitter.

Scott

Screw that, a few cords ago I bought a mingo marker. Now I just run that baby up the log and then cut it up. The paint dots are easy to see and very accurate but most importantly, by the end of a cord my back was killing me from bending over to mark, up to cut, down to mark, up to cut, etc. Smaller logs laying on the ground are hard on your body.

I use sidewalk chalk and a calibrated stick. It comes in handy when my brother and I are working on a piece of wood together, we can mark it out and start at different ends. Or if we need to make a cut in the middle a marked log is nice so we don't end up with a very short piece at the end.

Example of our latest log

I use sidewalk chalk and a calibrated stick. It comes in handy when my brother and I are working on a piece of wood together, we can mark it out and start at different ends. Or if we need to make a cut in the middle a marked log is nice so we don't end up with a very short piece at the end.

Example of our latest log

That's exactly what I've been using for close to 20 years now.

Sounds like a good GTG contest. It's one thing to show up with a powerful saw, another to put it to practical use. Have an eyeball measuring contest, say 5 cuts to a specified length (16", whatever), average them. No using the bar, sticks nor nuthin, just eyeball and cut.

Always thought I was cutting at 15-18" but I measured this weekend. Most were 19-21" with a few at 18". Boiler and fireplace can handle 24" plus so not a big deal.

Latest posts

Back