Do you take your hand off the saw?.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techdave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
To apply the brake, if so, why?

I am asking cuz of the discussion under "gloves did not help at all", or sumpting like that, in this forum.

I never take my hand off the saw to apply the brake, is there a reason to do so that I have been missing?

Please let me know, eh?

I have never applied the brakes on my saws, (to slow the chain) for me they are a safety feature only.
I do check them once in a while to make sure there working though.

Last edited:
No, I don't take my hand off the saw.
I pop my brake with my wrist. After the chain stops.

Especially if I'm moving more than a step or two .

When I'm up in the tree and finish my back-cut. I pop the brake before I pull it out of the cut.
If I have time I cut the saw off and hang the short ring on the caritool, if not I just let down the lanyard. It's awful tight quarters sometimes, I'm glad the brakes there.

Last edited:
sure I take my right hand off to pop the brake. but usually chain has stopped. it's all done in one motion anyways...

used to only use my brakes to check only.

but.... after all the warnings posted. have modified my habits to always kick on my brake before starting and anytime I need to move more than a step.

good post

i have not really thought about it much while i cut, i just check occasionally to make sure it works. if i am cutting up a log i rest the chain on the log, but i usually never apply it.

i may have to rethink how i do things.

excellent post!!!

There you go! start slapping and popping that handle, if it breaks FIX IT. Always be ready to hit that handle!

Also use wrist. I set it in tree all the time but on the ground not too often.

Last edited:
I take my hand off to hit the brake but only when the bar/chain is not touching any wood. (in the air and can not catch anything)

Didja hear the one...

The last time I took my hand off to hit the brake, my foreman told me the story of "the guy" who went to hit the brake with his hand, only to overshoot it and run his hand / wrist down the bar. :cry:

Of course my foreman's version was delivered at the top of his voice, with many colorful catchphrases added in. In his I believe that "the guy" was actually named F*@#in' Idiot... :D

all the time

I also use the brake all the time, but never take my hand off to set it, just pop it with the wrist. It's really just habit, I don't think about it that much. I use it frequently on the ground, especially moving through slash or climbing over logs, but almost never when limbing on the ground just because thats often just 1 smooth continued motion. Also frequently when starting the saws while climbing, particularly when in an awkward position and when drop starting saws on the ground

I also use the brake all the time, but never take my hand off to set it, just pop it with the wrist. It's really just habit, I don't think about it that much. I use it frequently on the ground, especially moving through slash or climbing over logs, but almost never when limbing on the ground just because thats often just 1 smooth continued motion. Also frequently when starting the saws while climbing, particularly when in an awkward position and when drop starting saws on the ground

Same here.

Guys that work for me either use it alot or find another person to work around, Ive seen (and had) to many close calls. Saws find ways to run by themselves, branches pin the throttle, Air leaks develop, guys take falls, lack of feel due to cold or wearing gloves, fatigue etc. Its a good, safe habit which costs nothing and its like putting the pin in a grenade, relying on you holding the hammer down all day isnt always going to be enough.

The last time I took my hand off to hit the brake, my foreman told me the story of "the guy" who went to hit the brake with his hand, only to overshoot it and run his hand / wrist down the bar. :cry:

Ditto...I use this example when teaching, lots of people want to use the other hand at first, this is the reason you don't.

I use my wrist or push it forward with my index finger.
Rotating the right handle down at the same time pushing forward with your left wrist, makes it a bit easier...the saw pivots inside your left hand bringing the brake into contact with your wrist before you have to push it too far forward...less strain on your wrist...

I know WAY too much detail for some...just use the d@#$m thing!

yup... I never even thought about using chain break. until I read about all the horror stories of branches etc. snagging trigger. And to always set your brake if you are taking more than a few steps.

now... that's exactly what I do. set the brakes!
especially when starting my saws... think about this. for large saws, one is yanking pretty hard on starter cord.

if you slip and saw starts racing with choke on. that would be bad news touching a fast moving chain when you are slightly off balance.

this goes double starting a chainsaw in a tree...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Waiting for the person from another chain break thread (a while ago) that said he lost too much production using the break. Yep, gotta make that $3K/day. Using that break just cuts into those $$s.

I use it, flick of the wrist and it's set. The only time the hand comes off the saw is to release it.

I have never applied the brakes on my saws, (to slow the chain) for me they are a safety feature only.
I do check them once in a while to make sure there working though.

That brake is not just there as a safety feature to cover your mistakes, it is there to be used.

Most manufacturers suggest starting the saw with the brake set. If passing the saw (running) to another person, set it. If you are walking through brush, climbing a tree, or just anywhere near a running saw that is not being actively used to cut wood, SET THE BRAKE!

It's not much different than driving a car. You wouldn't make a quick dash back into the house and leave your car running in gear with no parking brake set, would you? There is NO neutral on a chainsaw.

Thanks for all the great answers guys!

I am going to print some of these quotes and show them to my next class of "civilians"(-as opposed to trained agency volunteers).

I also was one not used to setting it. But a few days ago I put a cut in my boot and nicked a toe trying to unstick the saw while limbing. From now on, it will be Cut with the saw or set the brake. (see thread 'complacency plus stupidity"

Harry K

Latest posts

Back