Do you think a chainsaw did this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here`s a pic of a bush hog type mower that a friend of mine asked me to repair. Bub said he didn`t hear or notice a thing until he parked the tractor. Needless to say, this isn`t the only thing that isn`t "Bub proof", LOL. Only took about 7 hours of cutting, grinding, pounding, and welding to put him back to work.

Russ

Hi Jokers

Did Bub say anything about coming to face down in the field?
Whatever tore that open must have knocked him out cold!
Any finished work shot?

Had to be runnin' it a long time that way to do that...just gotta wonder about some people.

Almost 20 years ago now I spent a couple of years managing a church camp. We had a JD tractor and several attachments including a brush hog to keep trails and some of the camping areas mowed down. I had sent a helper to work with the brush hog one day, was looking for him to be about done when I heard an awful racket...seems that one of the camp deans had sent him to pare down a stump that was blocking access to more convenient parking for her and she had instructed him to work it down with the brush hog.

Tore the gear case assembly right out of the deck. Fortunately, the soft bolt sheared out of the input driveshaft, or the dang thing might have kept going and chased after somebody!!!

Orange Wedge, I`m sure that you are atleast partially right, I`m sure some "cold" ones were involved. This is far from the worst damage that he has done.

Right now Bub is trying to clear about 10acres of assorted growth, alot of 2-2 1/2" trees, doghair gone old growth. It`s got to sound scary when he`s out there working, LOL. Like eyolf alluded to, some people probably shouldn`t be allowed to operate machinery.

Russ

I visit the local welding shop about every day. The guys there are friends of mine.

There are a lot really weird things that happen to bush hogs. And they fix a lot of stuff that you would think is beyond fixing.

(chainsaws)

Looks like what could've happened if he hit JUST the right rock with JUST the right upward angle, and JUST the right amount of 'give' in the doo-hickey that holds the blade on. Pretty scary looking to me.

The hole I made in the housing a couple years ago wasn't quite as impressive....it went straight through the side, the blade flew a good hundred feet (found it.) Glad it went in the OUT direction instead of forward. The only thing I'd been drinking would have been a diet pepsi or two.

Che

Latest posts

Back