Do you think my new wood sled will work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry and Wanda

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
What do you guys think of the new wood sled I built and the 33 year old tractor pulling it? I built this sled to pull firewood from the wood racks to the back porch of the house when there is snow on the ground. Last year after there was snow on the ground it was a PITA to try and wheelbarrow the firewood from the racks. So last year I built a sled using a big mortar pan for the bottom. It worked but tended to push up snow ahead of it so it wasn't ideal. So the attached picture is of this years creation.....I sure hope it works because I ended up putting more time into building it than I wanted to. Also, the old boy pulling it is a garden tractor that my friend gave me when he moved from his house into a condo. When I got it I completely tore it down (not the engine, it was still great), cleaned it and painted the frame. Then I put new tires all the way around, chains and ran a stainless steel exhaust pipe from the front underneath and exiting the rear. Now the stink comes out behind me !!!!! Then came the required camo job...plus that makes it run better...LOL !!!!!! Since I have moved to the mountain 2 years ago, I have really worked the old boy. He has hauled tons of firewood and never complains. I have a skid steer and a 4WD tractor, but I think I have used him more than anything else !!!!

Henry and WandaView attachment 262009View attachment 262010

Seems like it would work ok in Snow, but if you can get that tractor through the snow, I don't see why a 15 ft³ cart wouldn't have followed it from wood pile to house. Then you have something for every day; mud, snow, ice, frozen ground, leaves, ...

Sorry, don't mean to discourage you, great looking work on the execution. Hope it works great for you.

Last edited:
Very nice sled! Nice craftsmanship. Purty, too!

However...

It appears that the tongue doesn't pivot side-to-side. Won't you break it off when turning? You'll have to pivot the entire sled.

Or, do my aging eyes deceive me, adn I missed something?

Jon

Badass!! I want 1. Thinking about getting a small dog sled this year and letting the huskies pull some wood.

I noticed the tongue not appearing to pivot as well . The sleds I have seen for moving logs had front and rear runners with the fronts pivoting . Maybe as long as there is enough slip maybe it won't stress it . But I do like your craftsmanship . Give it a go and modify as needed . The more I look at it I think it needs a couple of wreaths and a Elf . You could probably make a few bucks selling them as Christmas lawn ornaments .

Hey Jon B and Rockland Farm,
First, thanks to all for all the nice comments !!!! For Jon B and Rockland, the pulling rod does pivot up and down where it attachs to the sled. but not sideways. However, it can move side to side (or rotate) where it is attached to the ball hitch of the tractor. So I'm not sure whether it needs to pivot where it attachs to the sled or not, or if the pivoting action at the ball hitch will do. I guess I will only really know after I use it in the snow !!!! If it doesn't work, I'll put 4 wheels on it and use it as a cart or just use it at Christmas time and put a blow-up Santa in it ....LOL !!!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

My guess is that it will do fine on firmly packed snow, but it will have trouble going anywhere in snow above what the belly can't clear.

If you haven't already, get those runners waxed.

Great job,wish I had the expertise to build something like that.No way wife would let me use that for hauling wood,in her mind the cart would make something to sit flowers in on front porch.

rep sent for great craftsmanship

Last edited:
ya, neat! Yep, make some axles for it too so you can add wheels in the non frozen season.

Now you need reindeer horns for the hood on the tractor...

Back