Does a muffler mod really help on a 555/2258?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Crawford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've read where folks said it helped, but I was wondering if it was just a placebo effect from the extra noise. The reason I say that, I ran across this video on YouTube and this guy doesn't think it helped. (Could be a member here. I'm not sure) What are your thoughts and or experiences?

I know a better flowing engine performs better, but I'm wondering if it's worth voiding a warranty. Lol. I could just buy an extra muffler and swap it if I have problems. Let's hear what you think.....

Interested to know myself. I have a 555 and have thought about buying another muffler to mess around with and try and mod at my own pace.

If my memory serves me correctly Brad Snelling has videos on his youtube channel with a 555 or 562 before and after a muffler mod (and maybe also some port work??) For me personally, the idea of modifiying/working on my own equipment is fun and enriching. The potential performance improvements are just a bonus :)

If nothing else opening the exhaust should reduce the saws operating temp.

X3 ^ ^ ya temp factor is the reason I muff modded my 562xp - I haven't noticed any more juice (already had lots) since I did a muff mod, but it hasn't had any more hot start/vapor lock issues since I opened up the muffler and shielded the carb from the rear slanting cylinder.

Back