Does anyone have any clever ways to store & manage kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey!--that's what I do in my shop too! Kindling comes in a 20# bottle. Never fails to light, either.

Somehow I've inherited a number of big lidded wheeled Herbie Kerbie type trash containers. A bit of a pain if you're only five feet tall, but even quite full they tip to the back well, so you can easily get to the bottom when they're down that far. Also, free. (I swear I didn't steal them - both of my current ones have the name of a now departed trash company on them, so I assume they were discarded? Don't notify the FBI... ;) )

I gotta tell ya, the guys that mentioned trying to keep up with the wife going thru the kindling caught my attention. I had the same problem going on, and I was getting down on my knees and splitting the kindling with a hatchet. Well, I finally had enough of that crap and started looking for a better way. Now remember, I said easier, not cheaper. I found a 7 ton electric splitter made in the USA, that fits perfectly on top of an old dresser. The amazing thing is, I actually enjoy filling the kindling bucket once a week! I use one of those wide round tin troughs, and keep it within tossing distance from my tabletop “kindlingator“. Not sure if I’m gonna violate the rules of this forum, but it’s made by boss, and available on that website that’s named after a big river in South America😁 If anyone wants I can take a few pics and show you the set up, but the wife, the knees, and the back, have all been happier since!

Back