Does anyone have any uses for old chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
p1000921qk1.jpg

2551703.jpg

2615941.jpg

2688461.jpg

Nice pictures.

A friend of mine tosses his chains when they're too dull to cut anything.
Someone got it in his head that you can only sharpen a chain 3 times max so he just gets a new chain when one gets dull.
My jaw hit the floor when he said that.

My friend does the same thing now. He says its cheaper to buy a new chain then to take the time to sharpen them. I say that fine, just toss them my way.

Do you guys have any luck sharpening chains with a grinder
I always use a file? Maybe I should start grinding them I been tossing them in the garbage before the witness mark .

:arg:

Start your own thread. If you don't know how, just ask. Plenty of us will be glad to help.

Or try the search function. There are tons of threads here on that subject.

I recently was given at least a five gallon bucket of used chains. I finally went through them all and maybe twenty were junk. The rest were in really good shape. I was wondering what other uses there might be for the junk chains, other than scrap metal. Thanks.

Put one on top a wood stove then place your pot of soup on top of the chain. The soup will simmer not boil.

Hang them on a nail in the shop. You never know when parts might come in handy for a chain repair. I even have a few hanging in the shop that have been sharpened back to the witness mark...it's a thing of pride.:laugh:

I go just past the mark then chunk em. I usually have a few like that sharp for stump action.

the axe head is awesome, but it needs hung better.

one saw shop up here has saw chain strung tight in 6inch squares across his windows. i dont think hes ever had a break-in.

My grandfather always buried his old saw chain ikn the ground by his apple trees. Apple trees love iron and as the chain rusted and broken down it saturated the ground around the tree with iron... you can totally tell which trees have chain buried by them and which trees don't..

I had some junk chains in a bucket and they rusted solid. I was going down a little incline toward my shop in the rain and the ground was slick. I almost fell so I put the chains on the ground there. I spaced them out so there was a nice covering of old chains and haven't had a slip since.

I pass a mailbox post made out of em, next time by I'll get a pew pics, it looks cool.

I recently was given at least a five gallon bucket of used chains. I finally went through them all and maybe twenty were junk. The rest were in really good shape. I was wondering what other uses there might be for the junk chains, other than scrap metal. Thanks.
I got a similar gift from a logger recently. Junk, my adze. It's a gold mine in disguise.

I soaked them down in gas for awhile, about two at a time in a mason jar, and then wiped them off with a cotton rag. A few needed cleaning with a wire cup brush in my drill press. Then I sharpened them with my Oregon 511A.

Most of them fit the 20" and 25" bars on my Stihl MS 361. I figure I picked up $300 to $400 worth of chain loops inside that 5-gal bucket.

Back