Does anyone like the 2012/2013 winter forcast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use my neighbor... He's farmed for 60 years here in southwest MO, and has seen it all... And he still has a great memory for the little details of the unusual years... These last couple years remind him of the mid-50's... HOT and DRY!! They slept in the front yard under hay wagons. Too hot in the house.
Those were the years he and many of his neighbors gave up growing corn all together... They went to wheat/soybean or oat/soybean rotations... I need to ask him what the next years were like when the hot/dry cycle broke... :msp_wink:

Oh. and if you wanted to eat out of the garden, you had to water it...

Last edited:
Hottest driest summer we've ever had here!

Man, I'm ready for COLD and WET!!!

Cold? Yes! But not too wet! I don't live in the rocky hills you know!
When it gets too wet here, I'm liable to sink a tractor... Puts a real cramp in my wood cutting activities...
:msp_tongue:

i'm ready for fall,i'm tired of these 100+ days since June and i would enjoy deer season like they used to be without swatting mosquitoes!:msp_thumbup:

Cold? Yes! But not too wet! I don't live in the rocky hills you know!
When it gets too wet here, I'm liable to sink a tractor... Puts a real cramp in my wood cutting activities...
:msp_tongue:

But man, do we need the rain! The creek is almost dry and it never goes dry!

Yeah, it's hard to sink a tractor here. Too many rocks!

But man, do we need the rain! The creek is almost dry and it never goes dry!

Yeah, it's hard to sink a tractor here. Too many rocks!

We sure do need the rain... I can deal with the mud... Especially if it FREEZES!!!
Then it's on like donkey kong!!!

I'm hopin' for a late winter, and an early, long wet fall... a wet fall with several periods of days and days of soft, slow rains before freeze-up... followed by an unusually warm, wet winter. Water wells have started to dry up around here, the river has less water in it then it has since the 20's (only 11% of normal flow), and an early freeze-up would only make things worse.

We've been sort'a lucky in that a couple isolated thunderstorms have passed through. But I was workin' about 20 miles north of here yesterday, several corn fields were completely brown, not a single green leaf... saw one guy mowing his down with a bush hog. And the real kicker, something I didn't expect, two bean fields starting to "yellow" with empty pods.

Tighten your belts boys... this ain't gonna' be pretty.

Last edited:
I'm hopin' for a late winter, and an early, long wet fall... a wet fall with several periods of days and days of soft, slow rains before freeze-up... followed by an unusually warm, wet winter. Water wells have started to dry up around here, the river has less water in it then it has since the 20's (only 11% of normal flow), and an early freeze-up would only make things worse.

We've been sort'a lucky in that a couple isolated thunderstorms have passed through. But I was workin' about 20 miles north of here yesterday, several corn fields were completely brown, not a single green leaf... saw one guy mowing his down with a bush hog. And the real kicker, something I didn't expect, two bean fields starting to "yellow" with empty pods.

Tighten your belts boys... this ain't gonna' be pretty.

Yea... It would be nice to have the ponds and creeks full going into winter. The guys running irrigation here are doing their part to bolster corn and soybean supply's... But over all it'll be a drop in the bucket. I sure hope my "perfect storm" theory is thwarted, but I sure don't want a ton of snow either...

But the good news is LP summer fill is down to $0.99... and with no foreseeable demand (such as drying corn) in the immediate future...

That's a bit of a silver lining... There are a couple other perks of hot and dry seasons.
Believe it or not, we have less pest and parasite problems here when it's dry.
No hoof rot...
Crops dry down to 11% moisture and run great through the combine.

And last but not least???

WOOD DRIES DOUBLETIME!!!
:msp_biggrin:

I just bought 100 gals of propane last week paid $1.50 per gal.

Heck, they won't even start the truck for 100 gallons 'round here... 250 gallon minimum for rural delivery.

After last year's dry fall (little demand for drying grain) and mild winter (small demand for heating), and now an even dryer fall (with even less grain) predicted, I could see LP prices staying below a dollar through the winter (LP glut)... and another mild winter could drive it down below $0.80 in this area (Iowa and Nebraska consistently have the lowest LP prices nationwide). If it does drop that far, figuring all the expenses, it would almost be cheaper than burning wood for heat... Firewood sellers will be taking-it-in-the-shorts! I'm already seeing "generous truck loads" of "2-year seasoned oak" on CL for $100.oo, delivered!

Since last mid November until last week I have used 200 gals of propane, hot water heater mainly. They had a 200 gal min. for delivery but I sweet talked the office lady to get me only 100 gal. for now, I was totally out. 100 gals should get me half way through winter. Last Nov. I paid $1.90

There is still the beer-drinkin'-woodsellers around here giving away "heaping" truckloads for 50-60bucks. The neighbor bought what I'd call a "short cord" for 160bucks, but he's got the government sponsored welfare program paying for his wood. Most of it looked like soft maple(silver) that I wouldn't even throw on my truck. He was hitting me up for some "green" wood to slow down his burn,,LOL,,we had that conversation last fall and I told him I don't have any "green" wood. This idiot is wanting it for 50 bucks a truck load to boot!! I told him to come on over and I'd show him a 50 dollar "rick"!! I aint seen him yet!!
Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread,,but sometimes I just gotta wonder about people.
Currently L.P. is going for 1.69 and I could "buy advanced winter bulk" for 1.89,,,F%#king pirates!!
I've pretty much always been a wood snob but with the OWB I understand I shouldn't be so selective in the wood I cut/burn.

But the good news is LP summer fill is down to $0.99... and with no foreseeable demand (such as drying corn) in the immediate future...

Wow, lp is $3.19 here as of last week. Damn I need to move where you guy's are.

Last edited:
Wow, lp is $3.19 here as of last week. Damn I need to move where you guy's are.

Wow, I'm filling up for $1.65 now in Pa but some want up to $2.71 a gallon here. You really have to shop around. I bought my own 120 gal. tank for $300 new. I think owning your tank is a must if you dont want to be ripped off with high priced tank rental and stuck with there high lp price without the ability to shop around.

Wow, I'm filling up for $1.65 now in Pa but some want up to $2.71 a gallon here. You really have to shop around. I bought my own 120 gal. tank for $300 new. I think owning your tank is a must if you don't want to be ripped off with high priced tank rental and stuck with there high lp price without the ability to shop around.

They will only fill there own tanks here. Tried to by my own but no one will fill it, unless I bring it some where. That price was the cheapest around, and there is no rental fee here, just removal fee. These people suck. Thats why I do wood.

I just hope it snows SOMEWHERE East of the Mississippi... We have a side business rebuilding/ selling/ repairing Meyer snow plows, mostly the power units & we do a lot over the internet.
I used to say (jokingly) that we make more $$ if it snows somewhere else, than we do pushing snow here... After last winter, I'm not sure if we'll make $$ either way.

Latest posts

Back