What are You'ins burning for the Winter of 2014?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inside stove will be fed standing dead elm, maple and white oak. owb gets pine, hemlock and more of the elm which seems to have almost stopped dying, i hope.

also..to update what I said im burning,,this is the most ive ever cut and stacked in one year,,and it figures out to 11 cord!!!! it took six weeks near all by self,,with hyd splitter!!! no wonder I was soooo sore by the end of every day!!

also..to update what I said im burning,,this is the most ive ever cut and stacked in one year,,and it figures out to 11 cord!!!! it took six weeks near all by self,,with hyd splitter!!! no wonder I was soooo sore by the end of every day!!

Money in the bank accruing interest....

Same here olyman! Don't know what got into me!! Haven't had this much wood since I lived out in Ohio in the 80's!
Been working on wood pretty much for two months!! Having the hydraulic splitter helps! Used to do it all by hand!!
Got a lot of " different" wood for me up here after all the bad storms we've had the past few years. Big Beech, black maple, an burr oak. All great stove wood!! Be a good winter coming up!! Have a bunch of my usual dead standing oak too. Doesn't last as long as two year old wood burning, but still leaves the good coals! Got a few aged cords of locust too that I try and save for Jan. and Feb.

I have Cherry, Mulberry, Black Walnut, and Honey Locust ready to go now. By this winter, the cord or so of Silver Maple should be ready also.

On the menu for this season is White Birch and Ash on the shoulder followed by a main course of Shagbark Hickory, Eastern Hophornbeam, Oak and Hard Maple. I am out of Linden for a starter so I will not be having junk food served this year.
How does that Hophornbeam do?

White oak,red oak, Black locust, red elm, white elm, walnut, hickory, and HEDGE

002.JPG just white ash sugar maple and black locust...+1 storm heres my last resort locust, which I may actually need

2014-15 will see mostly ash, hickory and a little white oak. 2015-16 currently seasoning red oak and mulberry. Beyond that ??? my owb has been very hungry this winter and I'm running low on the wood designated for this season, so I'm either going to start to tap into next years supply or continue to cut the seasoned tops across the street to limp through the rest of the winter.:chainsaw:

I've been scheming on how I'll fill the woodshed this year and was going through the list of what I have for wood for next winter. Since I work the wood shed from front to back in both bays I like to fill it with a mind of when I'll likely get into certain wood at various times during the winter. The variety of wood I have to choose from changes a little from year to year depending on what I've gotten on my mountain runs and my scrounging efforts. Never have exactly the same collection of woods from year to year but always seem to have certain ones. For example last year I had very little locust but this year I have a good amount, some years I have some white ash some years none. Here's my list for the winter of 2014. Hickory, Red Oak, Chestnut Oak, Black (sweet) Birch, and Red Maple. Usually I have some Cherry, Elm, Ash and White Oak but it just did not happen this year. Seems odd but I am not complaining as I have a lot of great wood to fill the shed with. I have the volume I need (8 cord) but not the diversity I usually have. Guess my only shoulder season wood next year will be the Red Maple. What will you'ins be burning next winter?

75% red oak
10% sugar maple
10% black walnut
5% mulberry and cherry

Just moved 6 hours away to another state last month. Left all my wood with my dad. Bought 2 cords to get me through this winter. May have to do the same for next year depending on what I find in a closer look at the wood lot. Seems to be mostly red, swamp, willow, and white oaks with some hickory and cherry. Probably need more than a spring and summer to season those.

Left my TW-6 with my dad too. Going to buy a new splitter. Anyone have any experience with the Faver splitter? It caught my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed this winter has been hard on the woodpile, so I must confess, I have begun to cheat. Being a good ole PA boy I am burning a little Bit coal mixed in with the wood on the really cold days, which seems to be a lot of days this winter. Found some good E seam coal with no clinkers for a good price. That will stretch the wood pile out this winter. Set the OWB up for a little more under the grate air and I am in business to burn either fuel. Get a few more ashes out of mixing in the coal, but I will deal with it.

Latest posts

Back