Does Burning Green Wood In Broiler Work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the best troll threads this guy has ever started:confused:

Agreed! I'm going to quit burning green wood in my OWB and go back to railroad ties!! ;-)

I still have to say that I have never seen an OWB - mine or anyone else's that smokes like a coal-fired locomotive. Causing a traffic hazard or hiding multiple buildings from the smoke is - for me - damn hard to believe. I'll not call you a liar but I will give you grief for grossly exaggerating.

Jon

Agreed! I'm going to quit burning green wood in my OWB and go back to railroad ties!! ;-)

I still have to say that I have never seen an OWB - mine or anyone else's that smokes like a coal-fired locomotive. Causing a traffic hazard or hiding multiple buildings from the smoke is - for me - damn hard to believe. I'll not call you a liar but I will give you grief for grossly exaggerating.

Jon

If you haven't tried old kitchen rugs, rolled up log style, you aint had a real far' in yer' owb !! :eek:...

Was the bulldoze piles not going to smoke when they burned them? That's where the firewood for these boilers comes from. Well.........?
That's fine, doesn't matter where it comes from, (sounds like a great source actually!) just get it CSS a couple years ahead like most people with a wood burning stove/furnace have to. And that stockpile sure is nice when that knee (or whatever) surgery comes up, ya don't hafta run out and cut green to burn right off the truck. Like I said earlier, just cuz ya can don't mean ya should!
I'm not too worried about the EPA taking away the dozers from those equipment operators that burn smoky logpiles, but I am worried about the EPA taking away my stove/furnace because they lump me into the same category as many irresponsible OWB operators...dirty, pollutin wood burner!

Did you not read the section about unforseen circumstances? Or did you just want to read whatever you wanted to and then jump into the mess?
Also what did you do the other 10 months? I don't understand why people only cut enough wood for one season? Explain that to me? Defend that if you will. If you can't cut the wood it takes to heat your home then don't use wood to heat your home. If you would have had an appropriate stockpile then sitting on the couch with an injury would not have made one difference. Sorry if that offends you.
When I decided to burn wood for heat I took on a responsibility to my family. If I don't have enough time, energy or persistence to cut wood and do it so I won't run out before winter is over then I will resort back to the LP delivery truck. Too many people hear about how great these wood stoves are and don't understand the responsibility that comes with them. You have to cut wood. A lot of wood. All the time.

It is not ignorant by any means you just perceived it wrong or you're mad because I questioned your choices.

You, sir, are the model wood-burning citizen and I applaud you for the stellar wood-burning example that you set for everyone. :bowdown::clap::bowdown:

I bet you have a government job don't you? Sure seems like the government is telling folks how they should live their lives lately, and your above statement goes hand in hand with that mindset.

As far as jumping into the mess, I believe I started at post #10. I'm sorry if my simple mind got this math wrong, but I believe you jumped into the mess around post #33? Oh I did read about the unforseen circumstances, but where does that line start? Who decides what crosses that line? You? :laugh:

Mad? Not at all, I find it very amusing that someone would get bent out of shape over what wood someone burns in their wood burner, so much so that they question the very foundation of a man and how he handles his responsibilities. Especially over the internet.

Even if the LP delivery truck came to my door, they'd have no place to stick it. Natural gas? Don't have that either. Heat pump? Nope. Electric baseboard? Not anymore. Wood is my only source of heat. Now that you mention it, I feel so terrible about this all, that I'm just going to let my fire go out. Afterall, I sure don't want to let my family down because I wasn't able to get ahead enough to have dry wood to keep them warm.

Dang, that's classic.

OH, do you still have a pic of that giant Oak you cut down in your yard?

I thought about elaborating more on that statement, but decided against it.

You mean this little guy? It wasn't my yard, but a co-workers'.
IMG950725-1_zps4ea21b86.jpg

You, sir, are the model wood-burning citizen and I applaud you for the stellar wood-burning example that you set for everyone.
I bet you have a government job don't you? Sure seems like the government is telling folks how they should live their lives lately, and your above statement goes hand in hand with that mindset.

I take my responsibilities seriously. Government job? Far from it. I work in a manufacturing plant 40-60 hours a week, own my house and cars and am putting our oldest through college and the youngest is leaving for college in August. I make enough money to pay my bills but not enough to buy a splitter. Everything by hand. I STILL find time to cut more wood than just enough to last one winter. If I go down and can't cut then guess what I have plenty on hand to carry me through. No I don't have my own woodlot. I scavenge and trade skills for wood rights. I was born with common sense. A priceless commodity these days.

Mad? Not at all, I find it very amusing that someone would get bent out of shape over what wood someone burns in their wood burner, so much so that they question the very foundation of a man and how he handles his responsibilities. Especially over the internet.

I get bent out of shape because of the people who burn carelessly and cause enough smoke so that my right to burn are being affected by the EPA. A man who shucks his responsibilities has no foundation.

Even if the LP delivery truck came to my door, they'd have no place to stick it. Natural gas? Don't have that either. Heat pump? Nope. Electric baseboard? Not anymore. Wood is my only source of heat. Now that you mention it, I feel so terrible about this all, that I'm just going to let my fire go out. Afterall, I sure don't want to let my family down because I wasn't able to get ahead enough to have dry wood to keep them warm.

Just another validation to my point why you should never run out of wood.

You still haven't defended the position of running out of firewood. Just saying.....

And that stockpile sure is nice when that knee (or whatever) surgery comes up, ya don't hafta run out and cut green to burn right off the truck.

I'll elaborate on that, even though I don't have to.

I had quite a large pile of wood cut and thrown into a ready-to-split pile in my backyard. Then I blew out my left knee by merely standing from a squatting position. I know, I know, shame on me for not doing it while I was splitting and stacking wood so it would dry.

Once I recovered and got back to work, it wasn't 6 weeks before I was off again. Not much a guy can do when the docs tell ya you have cancer and require surgery. I guess I could've told him to pound sand and wait a few weeks so I can satisfy others' needs for me to split and stack some wood so it's nice and dry this winter. Don't feel bad though, it wasn't cancer after all, but I needed the surgery regardless.

And I don't have to cut green and burn it right off the truck. I helped a guy this last weekend and he gave me a share for helping him out. I was lazy I know (see I admitted it!) and threw it on the ground in front of the owb instead of stacking it nicely before burning it.

I take my responsibilities seriously. Government job? Far from it. I work in a manufacturing plant 40-60 hours a week, own my house and cars and am putting our oldest through college and the youngest is leaving for college in August. I make enough money to pay my bills but not enough to buy a splitter. Everything by hand. I STILL find time to cut more wood than just enough to last one winter. If I go down and can't cut then guess what I have plenty on hand to carry me through. No I don't have my own woodlot. I scavenge and trade skills for wood rights. I was born with common sense. A priceless commodity these days.

I get bent out of shape because of the people who burn carelessly and cause enough smoke so that my right to burn are being affected by the EPA. A man who shucks his responsibilities has no foundation.

Just another validation to my point why you should never run out of wood.

You still haven't defended the position of running out of firewood. Just saying.....

Again, I applaud you, sir. I too, work 40-60 hours a week, and make enough money to pay my bills. Don't have kids, am only 3 years into a mortgage, and am still paying on a car, but I see your point. Well done, I won't argue any point you made there. Sounds like you were born not only with common sense, but also with a superior complex that makes you feel the need to dictate how others should burn wood. As Joe Dirt would say, "Hey man, that's cool."

Running out of firewood? Pretty sure, no I'm very sure I never stated anywhere that I have ran out of firewood so I'm resorting to burning green wood. Just to prove a point, I had to get out of my recliner after a long day at work, and go out and snap a few pics for you since I'm assuming you're a picture kinda person.

Here's all the wood I have left that is stacked. Most, if not all of it is green. Again, by green I'm saying it's been stacked and drying less than 6 months.
IMAG1319_zps6215509f.jpg

Here's the before picture of my pile before the winter craziness set it. I actually filled the left side of it up as well. I think you can understand that this year is somewhat of a freak winter. Lots of folks ran out of wood. I sure as heck wouldn't go around calling them lazy and telling them they should quit burning wood and let the LP folks stick it to them. You see, it's not my business of telling people how to live their lives.
IMAG1162_zpsf8fb1db3.jpg

Also, I added some green wood (<6 month drying time) to the firebox when I got home from work, which was about an hour ago. It was firing when I went out so I snapped a picture of just how awful the smoke was pouring out of it. Terrible I know...
IMAG1323_zps8f142ecc.jpg

Oh, and just so you can see how lazy of a person I was this year, here's a load of wood I haven't gotten around to cut, split, and stack yet because I didn't have the time to do so this year (reflecting back upon my 2+ months of down time)...
IMAG1321_zpsc0c5c47d.jpg

I won't argue any further than this post. I never stated that you ran out of wood. You implied you had an injury. I simply stated I don't understand how one can run out of wood if it is their source of heating. If you made the assumption I was talking about you then, your bad. My asking you what you did the other 10 months was an opportunity for rebuttal and you answered accordingly. You stock piled a bunch of wood. Proof is in those pictures.
Good for you. Now when someone comes to you begging for wood because they didn't take the time or spend the energy to gather enough what will you think? Poor soul, here is all the wood that I busted my butt to get. I have no problem with you not taking the initiative to get your own. Didn't think so.
I'm glad you can burn green wood with little emissions as I stated in a previous post:

It is your choice in the end. If you can do it cleanly and don't mind the wasted btus then carry on but if you can't and do anyways then don't say you were never warned.

You are lumping yourself into the category not me.
I hope you stay warm and safe during the rest of this miserable winter.

Also, I added some green wood (<6 month drying time) to the firebox when I got home from work, which was about an hour ago. It was firing when I went out so I snapped a picture of just how awful the smoke was pouring out of it. Terrible I know...
IMAG1323_zps8f142ecc.jpg

quote]

For shame, turn in your man card at once and get on the gov't handout program. You're irresponsible and not worthy.:chop::chop:

That sounds too borderline victim mentality for comfort.
HUH?! Yeah, having a 2-3 year supply stacked in my backyard is a terrible victim mentality! :dizzy:
could've told him to pound sand and wait a few weeks so I can satisfy others' needs for me to split and stack some wood so it's nice and dry this winter.
Not saying that. 2-3 year supply ahead (so it can DRY)...means no worries when things pop up, and you have to miss a year of CSS ing
And I don't have to cut green and burn it right off the truck.
Ohhh, so you don't HAVE to, it is just a CHOICE to burn green, that's even worse!
it's not my business of telling people how to live their lives.
Me neither, but I aint gonna pizz in the stream upstream from you knowing you gonna drink it, specially when there is a better way. We are all citizens of this planet, no sense in "pizzin" in other peoples air stream if there is a better way either! I ain't no tree hugger ('less it's one of the top of the chart BTU trees! :laugh:) but when the cloud of pollution blowing across the road is causing brakelites to come on...
I'm not saying that's how all OWBs are, just too many. And burning green is part of that issue
It was firing when I went out so I snapped a picture of just how awful the smoke was pouring out of it.
OK, now let me see a pic of that stack after it has been idling for a hour, which is what most OWBs do most of the time unless you have storage and do batch burns.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, and the OP has my opinion, but I think he is trying to stir up trouble, so I'm gonna sit the rest of this one out...good day sirs!

The highway I take to a neighboring town weekly has a house along the road with an OWB that is ALWAYS smoking like crazy. Every time I see it, belching out a steady stream of smoke. That said....I have no idea what they burn in it. Could be old truck mudflaps for all I know.

I think I developed an assumption.....everybody that still uses an indoor stove is 100% against burning green wood. Is this true?

Eh, one of these days we won't have to worry about it.

When all new stoves and furnaces have to meet these EPA regulations, one will have to season their wood to get it to burn to get anything resembling heat.

I know I can tell the difference with the 30, even wood that is checked and pretty much looks and sounds dry. IF it registers over 20% on the moisture meter, the stove ain't gonna burn it.

In fact, I'm going to have to scrounge around tomorrow for some candle wood and some seasoned dry as I'm about out. I did sell a pickup load of the semi-seasoned this year, but I couldn't use it till next year anyways. Must have been more seasoned than I thought though, as he said he went through it in no time.

Was the bulldoze piles not going to smoke when they burned them? That's where the firewood for these boilers comes from. Well.........?

Actually, your original response was about smoke from wood stoves - I did not think there was a need to again define it.
ttyR2 said:
“Remember, the nastier the smoke coming out of your wood stove, the more likely it is we'll just get shut down by the EPA that much sooner. Stop being selfish.
You're right. I'm going to be a lot more careful. I'm sorry.
I doubt all of the smoke from all of our wood burning devices used to heat our homes comes close to the amount from forest fires, let alone adding all other outdoor wood/brush/leaf fires. But since we are a minority we are an easy target to regulate - then "they" can say that they did something. So the less reasons we give them to take action the better off we are.

That's a sweet score if you are able to repeat it year after year! :clap: In the end maybe you did help some farmer to cut down on his green wood consumption! (LOL - I'm kidding! :D)

OK, now let me see a pic of that stack after it has been idling for a hour, which is what most OWBs do most of the time unless you have storage and do batch burns

Mine must be one that hardly smokes during idle. It's dark now or else I would. Check back tomorrow ill grab a shot of it idling.

I have a homemade owb with no baffle and a 12" stack. I just installed it and have been going back and forth between trees I cut down and throw in and the leavings from my land being being logged 5+ years ago. I get more heat and less smoke out of green than I do from the starting to decay stuff I picked up from the ground. Either way though mine never smokes enough to reach the road 50 yards away, and that is burning green and rotten wood drenched in used oil. I did ask my neighbors if the smoke was getting to their house and they said no so my conscience is clear. Seems like owbs that smoke are not setup correctly.

I have a homemade owb with no baffle and a 12" stack. I just installed it and have been going back and forth between trees I cut down and throw in and the leavings from my land being being logged 5+ years ago. I get more heat and less smoke out of green than I do from the starting to decay stuff I picked up from the ground. Either way though mine never smokes enough to reach the road 50 yards away, and that is burning green and rotten wood drenched in used oil. I did ask my neighbors if the smoke was getting to their house and they said no so my conscience is clear. Seems like owbs that smoke are not setup correctly.

If it is burning that well now, imagine if you were two years or more ahead with properly dried good quality wood.

I know you want to use up your junk wood first, get something from it, but..start to put away that green wood and let it dry for two summers.

What is your first-hand experience with burning green firewood in your outdoor furnace?

I've gone to the internet and read some stuff on the topic and talked to a few people, but wanted to really hear about people's personal experience rather what they've become to understand. I'm talking the outdoor type furnaces that heat water and the heat is brought out via a heat exchanger. There would be a fan behind the exchanger in the house and another fan on the door of the furnace.

I've heard many different percentage statistics on the loss of energy via steam and all that stuff. However, have you or do you burn green wood? If so, how do you do it? Is there a trick or way to get it to burn enough to make it worthwhile?

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Yeah it will work, but you'll get some whinny ass liberals that can't seem to mind their own business, and they will cry about it.

Latest posts

Back