Does my maple need to be removed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aec05

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for help determining whether or not to remove this maple. I will be getting a nearby [dead] tree removed, and can get this one removed as well.

It still has full foliage but is showing some signs which worry me. I don't like removing trees, but if it is at risk of failure in the near future, I would remove it to avoid property damage/safety concern.1000006680.jpg1000006784.jpg1000006775.jpg1000006709.jpg1000006678.jpg1000006676.jpg1000006767.jpg1000006774.jpg

In situations like yours, I would tend to read the homeowners concerns and feelings about the tree. Then make recommendations based on what makes them most comfortable.
As for the tree, you have an over mature red maple that is way past its prime. Tear out wounds and heavy pruning has taken its toll. Very likely there is a decay column in the trunk. Not to mention the poor condition of the root flare and surface roots.
With most tree removal operations there is an economy of scale. Men and equipment are on your property, adding an extra tree is cheaper than returning for it.
Because you have expressed concern about the maple I would have it removed for peace of mind. Do to its poor condition it will not be a big loss to the urban tree scape.

I'd definitely recommend removing it. The large hollow cavity, combined with the horizontal cracking is a recipe for failure, probably within the next year or two. The tip die back is usually indicative of root rot. Trimming back the tree to remove the dead won't solve root rot issues.

Latest posts

Back