Does this 064 cylinder look worn to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks... different. Something was done to that cylinder to dress it up. Maybe used emery cloth or Clover compound of something?

I swear, if you cannot feel a cylinder you cannot tell if it is shot or not. I was eyeing a 250 cylinder that I pulled a few days ago and I could not tell if it was scored or not by eye, even in bright light and with a magnifier glass. But running my fingers over it, it was obvious. Low compression saw, about 110 PSI. Would not run for more than a few minutes. Piston and rings are scored, I decided to toss the cylinder as well and sell the rest of the saw in parts on Ebay.

Used jugs... I dunno. Not for me. The way he says 'genuine Stihl rings' makes it sound like the jug and pison are aftermarket. If that's the case, may as well gat a new set for about $100.

You can clearly see the thrust side of piston skirt left wear on that cylinder.From what you posted,I'd say its out of round,and needs to be bored at the minimum. The only way to know for sure is to mic it on all 4 sides,and see how out of round it is,and check for taper.I think your taking a big chance with a used cylinder anyway,unless you intend to get it machined,and in the case you might as well buy new.

Back