Does this qualify as a...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WOOD HAULER?
It has a cast steel trans-axle with 6 forward, 2 reverse gears (high/low range), calcium chloride solution in the tires, home-built wheel weights, spiked tire chains, heavy-duty battery and my home-built pulling/towing bar. Circa 1960's Sears/Craftsman that's been pulling wood out of my grove for some 25+ years.

169367d1295743986-wh1-jpg

169365d1295743981-wh2-jpg

169366d1295743983-wh3-jpg

Last edited:
That is brilliant! Old brake rotors for wheel weights. Gonna get some rep. for that. As a kid, one of the things I used to do for fun was to collect and fix old ride-on lawn mowers. At the height of things I had 12 or 14 of them, all makes and models. When they were operational I would mud them on trails in the woods. I would make tire chains for the drive wheels and hang a concrete block or two off the front. The block was necessary because of the steep terrain I would attempt -never would back down from a challenge. Without them the machine would inevitably flip over backwards (which happened alot anyway). But, until now, the biggest problem was what to use for rear wheel weights for that extra traction -and the biggest of all problems....how to mount and hang them. That problem is now solved. A freakin' brake rotor. Good thing I have alot of old brake rotors. The best and heaviest ones are the rear disks off the ton and a quarter Ford. Those mothers are heavy.

My apologies. It won't let me rep you. I'll get you later. Thanks.

looks like it see's as much wood as my old lady....lol
:yourock: great pics...

I like it, although I assume your woodlot must not have alot of hills? Anyways if my ATV is still pulling a load like that in 25 years I'll be very happy!

Any old tractor is a woodhauler IMO. One of my John Deere 317's is a towing duty tractor. We hook up the trailer (will have to post pics in the spring or summer) and load it up, then haul it all to the firewood racks on the edge of the field, by the firepit. Old iron is good iron, generally speaking, of course. Lemons still existed back then.

...I assume your woodlot must not have alot of hills?
You'd be surprised how much "hill" that little tractor will pull that loaded trailer up.
Put the thing in low-range, 1st gear and it just barely crawls along at full throttle, let those tire chains do their thing and up you go... slowly.

Hello,
This might be a dumb question....but how do the rotors attach? Is there room in there to use the wheel lugs of the wheels??? Did you have to drill new holes in the rotors to match the wheel lugs ????

Henry and Wanda

...how do the rotors attach?
The wheels have 5 bolt holes. The end of the axle shaft is triangle shaped and use just three of those holes.
I used two pieces of threaded rod through the remaining holes in the wheels... perfect alignment isn't necessary that way because the first rotor self-centers in the wheel when the nuts are tightened. Each successive rotor is bolted to the one prior using the same threaded rod and another set of nuts. I used Ford Taurus rotors for two reasons...
#1) Because they were almost a perfect fit to the wheel.
#2) Because they were free and plentiful... We owned a Ford Dealership at the time and the rotors were under a factory recall.

btw it is winter, you can take the ac out of the window.....
Nope, can't do that... It was framed in and insulated years ago. It would take a sledge hammer and a wrecking bar to get it out.

nice hauler how do you get it stopped? appears to me that the loaded trlr far out weighs the tractor i haul with a much smaller trlr and have had many close calls when the load pushes the tractor ,i def dont let my sons drive in hilly areas jk

Latest posts

Back