DHT 27 ton Log Splitter Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Background information: I purchased this splitter in early June this year directly from DHT. Placing the order was very easy and shipping was fast. If I remember correctly the machine shipped on a Monday and arrived on a Friday. I don't recall where it shipped from but I am located in far NE California. Assembly took maybe 45 minutes. Engine oil and hydraulic oil was included.

Overall: The machine is built of heavy steel and makes the 20 year old MTD I borrowed from a friend look like a toy. Placement of the engine forward of the hydraulic tank/axle along with the included log cradle keep it safe from falling splits. Opposite side of the engine is the hydraulic filter, again being forward of the tank/ axle has kept it out of harms way.

I split green western juniper almost exclusively with the occasional lodge pole pine or doug fir cord. Western juniper when green is notoriously stringy and full of knots. I have split 8 cords of juniper so far.

Now I will try to describe the components individually.

Tank/Axle: This is about the same as other log splitters in the same class. This models may have a but larger reservoir then other companies at 6.5 gallons. The axle stubs are welded directly to the bottom of the tank. The welds seemed okay... I think they are fine as long as someone doesn't plan on doing consistent road towing. Better suited for movement around the property. The tires are rated at 45 MPH and I would assume if you asked the company they would say this machine was never designed for extended hours on a highway. Wheel bearings came with grease on them but not really packed. I packed with bearing grease I had on hand. The lower suction hose does hang quite close to the ground and becomes very soft after running for any time.

Beam/Frame: The frame is made of medium weight tubing with a non-adjustable swing down stand. It requires a 2" ball for towing that I appreciate over an 1 7/8" ball that I seen on other machines. The pin that the beam pivots on I'm sure is more the adequate however I would have liked one a bit larger. Not really an issue for me because 95% of the splitting I do is in the horizontal position. Balance is good and lifting or lowering the beam is moderately easy. I have no issue moving it but some may find it a bit difficult.

Wedge/Foot: The foot is large and and has "teeth" that really grab the wood preventing rounds from slipping. The wedge is of exceptional design. It is narrow allowing it to start the split soon and then drastically flares causing the round to split soon into the cycle. I think this design would be great in dry wood but I find with green juniper I have to run the full cycle because of how stringy it is.

Engine: Most everyone is partial to Honda engines as am I. Time will tell on the Kohler, I have never owned one. The Kohler Courage is 6.5 HP and starts first or second pull no problem. I did have an issue with 'pals' in the recoil mechanism not engaging. It only happened once and a light tap got me back in service.

Log Cradle/Log Stripper: The cradle and stripper work as designed however I feel they are made a bit light. I have bent a corner on the cradle with normal use and one of the stripper plates is tweaked. Easy to fix with a crescent wrench but annoying. A person could easily fab heavier ones and not have any more issues.

Additional Info: Another issue I had was the love-joy type coupler came apart. Not a big deal, I put it back together and tightened the set screws and didn't have any other problems. I spoke with the company and they said the issue has been address on the newer models.

Overall I am pleased with the unit. I am still at work and not able to get pictures or measurements. I can get these at a later date if anyone is interested.

Also, I don't ever post on forums so if this is log winded or not the information people are looking for I apologize in advance.

Thanks for the review ! It sounds like the DHT is a pretty good piece of equipment.

No problem, I have recommended to friends already. Not only because the quality for the price paid but because of the excellent customer service.

Back